Help

ARCHIVE

Subtraction across zeros

>

Mandice77

Subtraction across zeros
Old 09-28-2008, 06:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have been teaching subtraction with re-grouping and across zeros for the past couple of weeks and the kids just aren't getting it. Does anyone have any creative ways to re-teach this?

Mandice77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Raid14

In the same boat...
Old 09-28-2008, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My co-teacher and I have not had such a struggling group of math students before. Our first goal has been to work on subtraction with regrouping. It's been a month, but we are seeing some progress.
We went online and used the National Library of Virtual Manipulatives. In the 3-5 section, there is a place where you can do base blocks addition. We really had to explain what was happening and why because most kids thought it was just a "game" and weren't connecting it to the actual subtraction problem, but I think it helped a lot of the kids see what the regrouping actually looked like!
Raid14 is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 09-29-2008, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Have you tried using play money? Use pennies, dimes, and dollars. Once they see that they don't have enough of one and they must borrow from either the dimes or dollars it usually clicks!

I've also had them box in the hundreds and tens number on the top if they have to borrow. Then they take one away from the number they boxed in. Hope this makes sense.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolina Girl

Subtraction across zeros
Old 09-29-2008, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Years ago when I began teaching, a veteran teacher taught me to do it this way: When you have a number like 700 - 364, have students underline the zero in the tens place and continue to underline until they come to a number other than zero. In the above example it would be the number 7. Students would see that they have underlined the number 70. Ask them if they would be able to borrow from 70. They see that it is possible. Guide them into crossing out the 70, making it 69, and then they are able to make the zero in the ones place the number 10. Once they do this, there is no regrouping to do. The 69 that was written makes it easy for students to complete simple subtraction.

This may seem vague initially, but once students see it, they love it because they don't have to keep marking out numbers. My last two classes have caught on quickly. Even this year, one of my students from 2 years ago came by to tell me that even her 5th grade teacher does it this way, and that she (the student) continues to do it this way.

Good luck!
Carolina Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Roxi

PT taught me this last year...
Old 09-29-2008, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

...and I LOVED it!! After I teach regrouping and make sure they understand the concept, I teach this trick.

Using whiteboards, I ask, "WHat is 1 less than 5000?"
We do several of these questions and then move to:

1000-224= 999-224+1.

Then there is no regrouping.

Roxi is offline   Reply With Quote
LAthird

LAthird

Brilliant!
Old 09-30-2008, 05:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Roxi, I love that idea. I just finished teaching this last week, but I'm going to show this to the kids tomorrow. Y'all are so much help here.
ETG

ETG

subtraction across zeros
Old 10-16-2008, 08:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My best advice, and my colleagues agree, is to not try to get the students to regroup into a ten when there is a zero and then subtract from the ten to make nine. I tell my students that you regroup from "whoever" is next door. If "someone" is there, then you take 1. If "no one is there, then you keep moving down the street until you find someone home and you subtract from that entire number". So if you're subtracting 89 from 306, you cannot subtract 9 from 6 so you go nextdoor. But no one is there so you keep moving. Using the marker, you have marked through a 30 so you subtract 1 from 30 leaving a 29. Bring back the one you took making a 16. Then you can subtract. It's the same principle but leaving out the middle step and my kids always get it quickly.