What does a word wall look like in 6th grade? - ProTeacher Community

jonesy1922

What does a word wall look like in 6th grade?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Good morning....

Last week I was moved to a middle school after teaching 9 years in elementary school (not my choice-new to a county and there were not enough students at the elementary school I was teaching in). I now teach 6th Grade Language Arts and I need to know what a word wall looks like in 6th grade. I need to have one, but I don't know if I should make it look like the one I had in elementary school. Please, any ideas would be greatly appreciated....Thanks!

jonesy1922 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suspended

janeypoo
Suspended

Old 09-29-2008, 09:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

i'm not sure what level of elementary we are talking about, but it is probably the same!I know in first grade everyone's name was on the wall, and pictures where applicable, and we don't do either one in my room(although pictures might be a good idea for esl kids,never thought about it!)I put our spelling words up, commonly misspelled words, vocabulary acroos the curriculum...all that good stuff!I also have English and spanish words as I live in a bilingual region(even though I am not bilingual unless you count being able to ask what time it is in GERMAN, of all languages!)
janeypoo is offline   Reply With Quote

jonesy1922

Word Wall
Old 09-29-2008, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was teaching 3rd grade before I was moved! I didn't mention that before when I posted originally!
jonesy1922 is offline   Reply With Quote

relax248

Word Walls
Old 09-29-2008, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my sixth grade class, I have Word Walls for each subject area - Math, Geography, Science, ELA. On those word walls, I put up the content words that go along with our unit of study. These word walls are constantly changing. I also have a Word Wall for commonly misspelled words. This does not change - occasionally I add words depending on the needs of the class. I have attached a picture of part of my commonly misspelled words word wall (It is hanging from the ceiling. The words are attached to sentence strips for each letter).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proteacher-DSC04180.JPG (110.5 KB, 349 views)

Last edited by relax248; 09-29-2008 at 01:09 PM.. Reason: spelling
relax248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mr. Mark

junior word wall
Old 09-29-2008, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think the only difference between my grade 6 word wall and a primary one would be that I allow my kids to write the words out themselves, and create a picture or image to go along with the word. It's not quite as neat as a primary word wall but I find it is more meaningful to the students.

Mr. Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Mizzou fan

word wall
Old 09-30-2008, 01:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That is a good idea to have the kids make it. They take more ownership in it, don't they?
Mizzou fan is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Hmm, it's been awhile since
Old 10-06-2008, 12:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

this thread was begun, so I don't know if anyone is checking it anymore. Anyway--I don't have a word wall, because my room is a word room! Whenever the kids find juicy words in their reading, they put it on an index card and it goes up somewhere in the room. We have words on the walls, doors, windows, chalkboard, computers, desks, maps, globes, bookcases, the TV.......My room is covered in words!
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

BawmerHon

Word walls
Old 10-07-2008, 11:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My school really stresses vocabulary and this year they've gotten really into word walls.

We post words that the kids think are funny or that perfectly describe middle schoolers (the word today that they all liked was "verbose"). Our school also does a word of the week, and that word is posted in every classroom (so the kids get the point and see it everywhere). We tend to put them on the board in no particular order.
BawmerHon is offline   Reply With Quote