How many NYC teachers use SubCentral? - ProTeacher Community

Kataqueens

How many NYC teachers use SubCentral?
Old 10-01-2008, 08:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I just posted on another thread how unreliable the system is. Have any subs in NYC been successful in getting sub work? I'd much rather call and visit schools directly than rely on a system.

I'm so used to seeing "No Records Shown" every single time I search for jobs on SubCentral! Do any teachers or schools actually use it?

Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote

D_Deleo

D_Deleo

Subcentral
Old 10-10-2008, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I haven't been getting any calls from Subcentral either. It's been over a month and no calls whatsoever. But I know subs whose phone's have been ringing non stop and they are accessing jobs through the site.

I just don't understand it - in the last few days I can't even access the site - even SubCentral's phone system isn't working - all I've been getting is a busy signal.
D_Deleo

D_Deleo

Subcentral
Old 10-10-2008, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In addition to my above post -

Kataqueens do you or anyone have any advice? I'm a new sub - got my NYC certificate in August (and am also a recent college graduate) and am frustrated at not having had a chance to sub yet.

Do teachers call their own subs? How are you guys getting per diem jobs if you're not using subcentral?

Kataqueens

Push Sub Central out the window!
Old 10-14-2008, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This summer I received some great advice from a friend who teaches but has never subbed. DON'T rely on SubCentral to get work, but instead contact schools directly. I went on a contacting spree and called about 15 schools two weeks ago...this morning five schools called me! I've been getting steady work with the exception of one week where I had nothing, but I've only worked because I contacted the schools myself.

This is usually how my phone conversations with the payroll secretary goes:

Me: Hi, I'm a teacher interested in substituting at (school name). Who would I speak to? OR Are you the person I should speak with?

If I'm not speaking with the right person, I'm redirected to that individual. The school usually asks for the following: your NYC teacher file number, a number where you can be contacted, and a copy of your resume and smart card. They'll also ask if you're registered with Sub Central (like SC ever did anyone any good, but say yes).

What frustrates me are the schools who claim that they only work with SubCentral and do not have a list of subs. Imagine that!

Hope that helped.
Kataqueens is offline   Reply With Quote
lucky195@aol

lucky195@aol

teacher using sub central
Old 12-11-2008, 08:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I am a teacher in the Bronx- District 7 off the grand concourse- we are actually required to use sub central, which is not always dependable. Although I am rarely absent, I always come back to horror stories the following day. If anyone out there is dependable and active in the classroom, most of the staff at my school will take file numbers directly, so that we can request you!

D_Deleo

D_Deleo

Nothing yet...
Old 12-16-2008, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the responses, kataqueens and lucky.

Here's an update: I was called by the Subcentral system ONCE in three and a half months!

I visited about a half dozen of the schools that are located near where I live, and the secretaries took my resume, file number etc. I was never contacted by these schools. I also made phone calls and most ended with the secretary telling me that they "don't need subs" or that they "had enough subs."

The word "frustration" is an understatement.

I'm genuinely interested in gaining classroom experience through subbing, and I'd like to do that BEFORE I enter grad school for a masters in education.

I do NOT understand why I'm not being called?! I have a B.A. degree. I have work experience. I also have tutoring experience, if that counts for anything. No, I don't have classroom experience in the public school system, but I'm trying and I have to start somewhere, don't I?! Surely, the Brooklyn schools use substitutes....

It's just beyond me... I'm exasperated! That's all I can say.

My last resort is this: I'm going to try to get my resume w my file number and a brief note into the teachers' office mailboxes. If that doesn't work, then I give up!

Once again, thanks for the responses... and for reading my vent!
gima

gima

Teacher
Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

When I first started using SC I never got called. I worked by getting jobs through teachers I knew. That was last winter. Now I get called all the time. The longer you are in the system the more you get calls. It might also help to broaden your districts. The more places you are willing to work, the more likely to get calls. Having personal school connections will help too. That way you have a better chance to work everyday.
Becky12345

Becky12345

Be Patient..
Old 06-02-2009, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

When I first registered to sub, I rarely got any calls (1 every few months)...apparently the longer you are in the system, the more subcentral calls you. Now, after being in the system for three years, I get about 3-4 calls per week.

This is definitely a hard job to have if you are relying on the salary, because there are so many subs in the system and you have to "earn your stripes" in order to get the most calls. For now, I would attempt to contact schools directly, and look for steady work.

Subbing, however, is an excellent fallback, and a great way to make a little extra money.
jean349

jean349

sub teacher
Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have been very successful at getting sub work.
jean349

jean349

sub teacher
Old 06-11-2009, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am very dependable and I have worked at district 7 off the grand concourse. I would like to be called directly. Some of the calls from subcentral doesn't come through until about 630a. But If I can get calls the day b4 that would be better. But I don't want a teacher to call me but when I get to the school for someone to tell me I'm not needed. How would i handle a call directly from a teacher? marie42268@aol.com
jean349

jean349

sub teacher
Old 06-11-2009, 03:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am going to use your advice because I was thinking about this idea on monday.
kiekie

kiekie

More on getting a sub call
Old 09-15-2009, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

what i observed is that the absent seems to give you a grade after each subbing. The more satisfactory result they give you, the more likely you receive calls. Also, if you do not cancel jobs after accepting them, you are on a much a higher priority. My advice is reject a job either right away if need to, or just stick with your assignment, or just don't listen for jobs if you know u can't. There is some sort of ranking of subs based on these criteria.
ColleenBx

ColleenBx

Subbing Through SubCentral
Old 09-27-2009, 01:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have received calls on a regular basis... I do not know what makes the difference.. I have never gone to schools directly but now that I have read posts here, I will certainly try that also. I am usually called to go to schools in the Bronx. Perhaps that is why I am called? I honestly don't know but good luck to you!!
vasilisa2010

vasilisa2010

Advice
Old 03-13-2010, 07:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Hello, i have been a substitute for about 5 years and when they started the subcentral i thought it was confusing as well. It is true it never spits out any job searches when needed so, but on a good note i do get calls from subcentral..to answer your question on going in person to schools and dropping off the resumes, i would say yes it is a good idea. The reason why is because the schools will match a face with a resume. Another suggestion for subcentral system is that there is a tab which labels district when choosing it , change the districts to as many as you can. The more districts the more opportunities.. I hope this helps you..

Talk to you soon

vasilisa2010
jenjan

jenjan

subpara
Old 11-04-2011, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have actually never been avaliable for subcentral to call me because I always find positions in the sub central website the night or days before. I've had a great experience with the online system.
robnjessmom

robnjessmom

Old 11-12-2011, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I just registered with Subcentral last week and I was called one day. On this day I also saw jobs listed on the subcentral website, but any other time I have searched I always got "No records found". When would you say is the best time to search for jobs? Thanks for the help.
SIsub

SIsub

Mrs.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I'd be very careful not to take jobs from them because you need to be sure you know the school where you work and are confident they respect your services enough not to place you on the do not call list. I prefer dealing directly with the school.

Smilingsub

Best times to search...
Old 04-14-2012, 04:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Most of the time, you will find "no record" when you do a search on Subcentral. However, I check SubCentral by phone between 12 noon and 1 pm, 2:30 and 4 pm and again after 10:30 pm. The earlier times have met with success because those are often times when secretaries/teachers put in open assignments. After 10:30 pm, if you do an online search, you will often find a list of 2 to 3 jobs to choose from because they somehow didn't get filled by earlier SubCentral calls.
Smilingsub is offline   Reply With Quote

Smilingsub

SubCentral
Old 04-14-2012, 05:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I've had the opposite experience of SIsub. I have accepted jobs through SubCentral for unfamiliar schools and have been asked for my phone number. In the last few months, I picked up two different schools that now call me frequently. Out of all the jobs I have ever taken through SubCentral, I only found one school I didn't care for. It wasn't a bad school but I felt like I was invisible all day. I've been there 3 or 4 times and no longer accept jobs from them. I sub at one school pretty regularly but have accepted SubCentral jobs from at least 10 schools and have been called again by 8 of them.

One suggestion: If you accept a job from SubCentral during the evening call out hours, you can look up the schools on the Inside Schools website or the Schoolbook website. Both of these sites will give you a rough idea of what kind of school you are heading for. Sometimes subs even leave comments on the Inside Schools page or people will leave comments about the administration. After skimming the page, you can cancel an assignment if you don't like something you see. I always use "transportation hardship" as a reason for cancellation and I still end up getting other calls for the day.

Beethechange

Invisible sub
Old 04-18-2012, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Ive had ok experience with SUb Cent and sometimes all the schools that are available r so bad I rather press the number 7 or 1. But the reason I am writing is that I have subbed for all boroughs and it seems like each time I walk in people just treat me like I am invisible. For example I walk in, greet staff and then when it's time to meet the kids in the cafeteria, it's quite obvious No one has seen me there before and NOONE bothers to say or just acknowledge your presence. Like one day I was in an empty hallway and a teacher was coming the other way, I was getting closer to her and I was about to say "good morning" when I suddenly realized she had walked past me as if I was not there. That is so disrespectful. And at times I find that many of the teachers when they do talk to me they do not look at me in the eye,it's almost like they are talking to the ghost that is next to me. Why are they so stuck up for... I have my degree too and my license ...who cares! Oh and let me tell you..this one time I came into this one school and I walked into this office and a very scrawny anorexic looking women asked me if I needed help. I told her if she knew what room the kids were in and she said "oh I am sorry I am not sure, I am also here for one day" In that instance I said.. Oh I'm sorry I thought you were a teacher, i'm a sub too here for one day as well" The second that I said that she said "I am a teacher!" I told hey lady no offense.. I'm a sub too and I got my license..so relax..She said that there was a difference between me and her. That she is a retired teacher and Now continued working as a sub. I told her " well wait a minute, if you are so upset about your new title you shouldn't of retired and guess what the second you decided to become a sub no one gives a ####! Your just a sub! Well anyway I hate her guts and never went back. So it seems that there are a few of us that don't mind being called a sub,then those that get offended by it (weird) but are working as a sub, and lastly those teachers that think because they own a home they can ignore you... It makes me sick that we are judged by our titles. Oh one last note: sick of all them teaching 18 year old fellows with thief lower east side " I never took a bath" look.
Beethechange is offline   Reply With Quote

HoAIM

Old 04-19-2012, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Before when I wasn't temporarily placed on the "Do Not Call" list, my experiences with SubCentral have mostly been good ones. I usually ignore the phone calls I get, since most of the times when I've gotten calls from them, it's always to go in work at some high school in the worst neighborhoods in the Bronx. Schools that most other subs usually avoid like the plague. Nothing against subbing at high schools, which I do occasionally, but my certification is for Middle School. Most of the jobs I've gotten through SubCentral were ones I booked myself on the subcentral website. 9 times out 10 I usually end up going to the schools that I want to go to. At least four of those schools I've become regularly requested at.

One other suggestion: You can tell which schools are the ones to avoid based on how long it takes for someone to take the job. Most jobs usually take 15 minutes to fill. I remember one time I saw this job go up when evening callout started that wanted a "strong and disciplinary sub" and some five and a half hours later the job was still up there.

Last edited by HoAIM; 04-19-2012 at 08:51 AM..
HoAIM is offline   Reply With Quote
NYCperdiem

NYCperdiem

Mrs.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I agree. SubCentral is a dangerous tool. Admins who don't like a sub just call them and place them on a do not call list and eventually they get fired for lies that are told about their performance. I am a professional and a human being and need to be treated as such.
Don't use sub central. The union has not provided a decent due process clause in our contract. You're a sitting duck for any abusive administrator!

Smilingsub

Strong sub request
Old 04-27-2012, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I think I got the call for the same job you described and I also passed on it! At least they were honest!

9 times out of 10,I also go to schools I want to go to. Every once in awhile I'll give a different school a chance if I like what I read on Inside Schools. I am licensed for N-6 and get calls for lots of middle schools and used to get called for high schools, I've been told by many subs that middle schools are worse than the high schools, but I guess it depends on the school you are subbing in.

I also notice that I get repeated calls for positions in certain schools 8-10 times a night,sometimes even for the same teacher. That clues me in that these schools must have a problem getting subs. I even called SubCentral last year to ask if I could block a school because I already knew the names of most of their teachers based on an overwhelming number of calls for sub jobs at that school. They said the only way was to remove the district from my list of where I would accept jobs from. Strangely, I no longer get calls for that school.
cmjake

cmjake

Teacher
Old 11-05-2012, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

How does one get off the sub-central call list for per-diems so they stop the phone calls?

Smilingsub

Getting off the list....
Old 05-12-2013, 07:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

As far as I know, if you are a per diem sub in NYC, your number has to be on the list. I know one sub who provided a fake call back number and does not get calls because she doesn't want to accept jobs through Sub Central. She complains that she doesn't work as often as she would like, though. I've also heard that you have to accept 10 jobs from Subcentral to remain in good standing but haven't confirmed that.

Another way that you can circumvent the call system is to remove some of the districts that you have indicated you are available to sub in. You can also put in up to 60 unavailable days in a row by clicking on Schedule and then unavailable days. I've only done that for a week here and there.Twice though, I was told by secretaries that they had trouble puttting me in for days that they had personally called me for because the system told them I was unavailable. Luckily , they both called me to let me know and I was able to remove the unavailable days so they could put the job in. To get off the list for the day to avoid endless calls, simply use the "Do not call" feature and plug in a time AFTER the call out hours like 10:32 pm. Then if you want to job shop online when call out hours end, you can still do it.