1st Year Autistic Preschool - ProTeacher Community

Karen2114

1st Year Autistic Preschool
Old 07-08-2006, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am the first teacher in my district to have a self contained PDD Autistic preschool classroom. I have been searching for a communication log to send home daily with my students. Any suggestions!!!

Karen2114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ella

Ella

Are you familiar with Boardmaker?
Old 07-16-2006, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The teachers who work with DD & autistic children in our schools use it for scheduling, communication, and lots of other ways too. Our speech therapists also use it and swear by it. It's a computer program with icons and related text, but from what I've seen, it's VERY versatile. Might be something you could use in your situation? I think it's pricey, but not when you really use it to it's full potential. I guess you could do an online search for it, if you are interested. Its also possible that your school district may already have it, I would definitly look into it.

Good luck & God Bless!
SarahSLP

SarahSLP

Old 07-25-2006, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If you can't afford Boardmaker at your site (I think it's about $300), have you checked out www.abcteach.com? They have forms for weekly progress notes, notes home, etc to download. Also, they have printable signs w/ pics to label classroom areas, word walls, etc.
It's VERY time-consuming to do for each student everyday, but I've also found that a notebook to pass back and forth for parents to write notes too are great for some families.
Good luck! Sarah
Emma

Emma

Daily Note
Old 07-25-2006, 04:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just found a great "ALL ABOUT MY DAY" sheet I plan on using this year in my class on this site. www.fcboe.com
I also made up a sheet that I laminated and added velcro called my recall boards. I have "WHERE I PLAYED...", "WHO I PLAYED WITH...", "MY JOB WAS..." adn "I ALSO..." I have tons of pictures from boardmaker and my digital camera that are also laminated and velcroed so that the students/aides can add to tell about their day. This was time consuming at first, but now that I have it done and in a routine it works great and my parents appreciate the visual to help assist those who don't talk well.
Good LUck.
Ms. Linda

Ms. Linda

communication log
Old 07-26-2006, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

The quickest and most effective log that I have used for years in my DD/cross-categorical classroom is a simple form that I run off by the hundreds and use to send home daily. The title is "My Day at School" and it has 3 lines with pre-printed responses so that I just have to circle one.......for example:

Today is Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri

Today I ate all my lunch most some none

My behavior was appropriate needs improvement difficult

Ask me about _______________________________ ___

Please don't forget_________________________ _____

This is sufficient for day-to-day for me. You could modify it to fit your needs. Maybe add something about toileting? About once a week I write a more extensive note at the bottom or on the back of the paper. If you are trying to document timing of discrete trials or something more formal, you could also buy one of the carbonized parent/teacher booklets of notes that can be found in catalogs or perhaps at your local teacher supply store. I show these notes to the parents during Open House and encourage them to look for the note each day and to respond as necessary.

Patty Ann

Patty Ann

communication log
Old 08-14-2006, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

this is my 5th year in AZ ECSE. I found a steno book works better than a form because we have free form communcation. One family needs more support or another wants to give me more info about home. Flexibility is great. I also send home a weekly newsletter about what we are doing in the classroom generally.
Kanuga

Kanuga

Old 09-04-2006, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Emma where is that website?? I tried to copy and paste it but it didn't work...I am DESPERATE for a preschool daily communication form for my Deaf students....can't find one and hate to reinvent the wheel!
NancyM

NancyM

re: daily report
Old 10-03-2008, 03:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I found the web page and progress note using fcboe.org. Then look under the links for preschool/special education.