promethean very faint now??? - ProTeacher Community

teach4fun

promethean very faint now???
Old 10-06-2008, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have had my promethean for a year + these 8 weeks. I have to turn out one set of lights now to see it well. It is VERY faint and hard to see. I have wiped the lens and thought about cleaning the board,,, but with what?????????????? Any suggestions,, I would hate to call tech support out here and them go "Oh, you just need to _____"

Thanks, Amy

teach4fun is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

It could be a bad bulb in the
Old 10-06-2008, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

projector and have nothing to do with the board. Projector bulbs will sometimes go out like household light bulbs in that they just suddenly go out or one day fail to come on BUT they also can go out gradually as well.

The bulbs can also be very expensive too.
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 10-06-2008, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

As the PP suggested, it's most likely the projector bulb.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

caroleu

Me too - exactly
Old 10-12-2008, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This exact thing happened to me this week, and I have had my board just about as long. We have ordered a new bulb (5 days shipping - yikes!) but are not happy that it has worn out so soon.

We have had also had trouble with projectors breaking and no one wants to service them - not the dealer, Promethean, or Sanyo (ultimately the one who does after you mail it back yourself). Our school is thinking of going with Smartboards for the remaining classrooms b/c of the poor and frustrating service for such expensive purchases. Anyone else have problems?
caroleu is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. C

Wow!
Old 10-14-2008, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This must be the "lifetime" of a batch. I have had mine the same duration and this past week it "blew". I felt bad because I had a sub. in that day, too! It had been dim for a few days. I guess there is a filter on the side that you need to clean every so often to help the duration......didn't know that. The bulb is $300! Anyway, I have a Smartboard with Sanyo projector if that makes a difference to the pp.

Mrs. C is offline   Reply With Quote

mwdouet

Promethean Suggestions
Old 11-18-2008, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Is the projector from Promethean? I would go to promethean planet.com and create a user account. Then click on the forum link or blog link. I suggest typing post a post about your concerns. The staff usually replies very quickly. We have a Promethean board, but do not use their projector. We have not had any problems with our projector, but hopefully you can find some suggestions through Promethean Planet. Good luck!
mwdouet is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 11-29-2008, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Make sure you are cleaning your projector's filter(s) at least once a month. Several people in our district have brand new Promethean projectors and they are finding that they aren't turning on...until they found they do need to clean the filters way more often than they have been doing.

It is most likely the bulb too, but you can help save your projector by cleaning it often...this could help save your bulb as well.
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
School Dude

School Dude

Promethean Projectors - Bulb issues
Old 02-18-2009, 06:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have been working with the Promethean projectors (Sanyo XE 40 and the PRM 10) in a district with about 200 of these and we see a first year failure rate of about 22% (Bulbs, thermal units, fans) and are just not real pleased about the failure rates. I would say both Promethean and Sanyo make great product, but in this case the Sanyo team dropped the ball. Yes, bulbs do cost us $499 we are looking into replacement options.
Yes the dimming is a bulb going out - You can check the hours on the bulb it in the menu options on the projector.
BTW - the planet will delete your post if you are in any way critical of any product! Sanyo is well aware of the problem too. Use the "no show" feature as much as you can to save the bulb between classes too!
Good Luck...
Shelvin Floyd

Shelvin Floyd

A/V Answerman
Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

These LCD projectors are very really need there filters changed often. Remember there are two filters on the projector. They both must be cleaned. Looking at the top of the projector there are two grey filters when they get clogged with dust it causes the projector to overheat. Also please checks the lamp hours. I can safely say that at 2500 hours the lamp may start dimming. The lamps on the new projectors are rated at a 3000 hour lamp hour life. But please note that a 3000 hour lamp is a test rating.
RepairTech

RepairTech

AV Technician
Old 06-19-2009, 06:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Do NOT use the "No Show" mode to conserve lamp life and reduce dust buildup on the filters. "NO Show" just projects a dark image to "cover" what you were displaying on the board. It does not turn the lamp off. Instead, power off the projector when not in use. Use "No Show" only if you want to hide the projected image for a few minutes.

Both filters should be cleaned regularly (once per month, depending on usage - just look at the rear filter to check for any dust that has built up). Make sure they are vacuumed when they are still in place in the projector. If you lift out a dusty filter, dust will fall into the projector and go right to the optics. This will cause a big spot on your projected image and the projector will have to be disassembled to clean the optics.

I've found lots of lamp failures (dimming or dead) that don't reach the 2000 hour mark (the rating of the lamps at full brightness), but have also had some go past the 3000 hour mark before failing. It probably averages out to the 2000 hour rating.

Bottom line is just take care of the projector and "baby it".
PROTECH

PROTECH

dimming bulbs
Old 11-24-2009, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have to agree with repair tech. Do not substitute the no show feature for turning the projector off. I tell my teachers if they are leaving or not using it for more than fifteen minutes to go ahead and turn it off. Also cleaning the front and back filters once a month or so is a great idea. Helps to keep the heat levels down in the projectors wich causes most failures.
I have learned from sanyo that dimming bulbs and color distortions on the image are caused due to dust build up on the lenses and prism optics within the projector light path.
Sanyo suggests what is called a deep cleaning. Where you break the projector down and clean all the lenses in the projector. There are about six lenses and 7 mirrors. Plus the prism optics wich also get very dusty.
I have broken three projectors down. Although the first attempt did not go so well because I did not know that I was not supposed to take the prism assembly apart. That part is factory made and cannot be put back together by hand. The other two went really smooth and brightened the image plus got rid of purple discolorations surrounding the board. Each projector took about 2 hours to thoroughly clean.
So not all problems are bulb related but more tech related and how well they decide to clean them....
You can send projector to sanyo for the deep cleaning for $125.00. Not a bad investment if your techs do not feel comfortable doing this kind of work.
barbara rand

barbara rand

Technology Assistant
Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I work at Pease Academy in Midland Texas. I need to know how do I go about getting lightbulbs for our Promethean Boards. Our projectors are still under warranty.
Shelvin

Shelvin

My promethean
Old 07-12-2012, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have had my promethean for a year + these 8 weeks. I have to turn out one set of lights now to see it well. It is VERY faint and hard to see. I have wiped the lens and thought about cleaning the board,,, but with what?????????????? Any suggestions,, I would hate to call tech support out here and them go "Oh, you just need to _____"

Thanks, Amy

Hi Amy
Great question, first check the lamp hours. Press menus scroll accross to tools. Press scroll down two the end to the next a new menu will apear scroll down until you see the image of the lamp. Then in that same menu check the brightness setting. If the lamp has over 2500 hours replace the lamp.

Use a microfiber cloth and very mild soap to clean the board and dry completely. Follow me on twitter.
#AVAnswerman
Best,
Shelvin Floyd