Below 70 IQ... HELP!!! - ProTeacher Community

ms wildauer

ms wildauer

Below 70 IQ... HELP!!!
Old 10-06-2008, 11:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have twins in my 6th grade classroom.. they have been in 4th grade for 3 years. I tried adapting the 6th grade curriculum.. WAY too hard... even 3rd grade curriculum... So now... what can someone with that IQ learn? Can they learn to read with enough practice and/or the right stategies? Help!

Thanks

blueheron

Low IQ?
Old 10-07-2008, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

70 is actually in the low average range for IQ. Also, some people who severe LD are extremely hard to test. I worked in a community college disability support office some years ago, and knew of several students with IQs in that range. One girl was severely LD, ADD, and had bi-polar. She needed a lot of accommodations to succeed, but succeed she did. She went on to graduate from the U in social work.

I'm surprised your girls can't read at all. What do the IEPs say about their learning strengths and weaknesses? You could try a first grade curriculum and work upwards? That's what I have been trying with a couple of my little guys.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

Shari

Orton-Gillingham based approach
Old 10-07-2008, 02:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

If no one has tried this, you may want to consider it. I use it with a child whose I.Q. was measured to be about 40. This child is 7 and can read (decode) some words and sight words, knows beginning sounds, and all letters & sounds of the alphabet. It is slow going, but I believe the child will be able to read if we keep it up.

Your twins should be able to participate in the 6th grade curriculum with modifications in addition to any adaptations you have tried (see their IEPs). Use lots of pictures and hands-on.

If you have technology available, try it, too. (Audio books, audio/visually adapted books using PowerPoint or PhotoStory3; United Streaming videos; BrainPop, etc.).

What subject? Are you the general or special education teacher?
Shari is offline   Reply With Quote

specialed1

Old 10-11-2008, 10:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If their IQ is below 70, (which is at the bottom end of low average) then by definition, that can't be a learning disability (student needs to be of average IQ with a specific learning impairment such as reading/math which can't be accounted for by another disability) so what you are dealing with is possibly mental retardation, depending on your state's definition and other factors such as adaptive skills. Regardless, the IEps of course they key thing to consider here asit will give indications of what they are expected to achieve this year as far as reading etc go
specialed1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thing 1

Center Based Programs
Old 10-11-2008, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Does your district have center based programs for cognitively impaired students? With an IQ of 70, these students would qualify in my district. School must be a stressful and frustrating experiance for the twins. I would bring their situation back up to your child study team or SpEd teacher and /or the SpEd department.

Thing 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
tacoman

tacoman

Wow
Old 11-06-2008, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That pretty bad but u sould look into specail ed for the twins or esle there just gunna suffer more
tacoman

tacoman

mmmhumm
Old 11-06-2008, 07:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

ok its me agein plz dont panick. Its bad that they have a very bad averge but take and slow and give them somting to look ford to when u tech em that whay it would be fun for them and easy on U
tacoman

tacoman

hi :0
Old 11-06-2008, 07:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Ok im in the 8th grade and I have real bad problems in SPELLING so my mom and dad got me a tuter! It work wounders i now get every thing done on time but for u u shold look into silvine of try to set up ur owen programe with em. ty for reading hop da best of luck to ya

kristabel

Old 11-08-2008, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Ms. Wildauer,
I wish we had more information. An accurate IQ of 70 is suggestive of mild mental retardation. I say suggestive becuase their are other things to consider. For one, the child would also have to have concurrent and commesurate impariment in their adaptive behaviors. Secondly, the 70 IQ would need to be the full scale result without any significant variability between Index scores. An accurate IQ of 70 is not in the average range. On a test with a mean of 100, average is generally defined as anywhere from 85-115. Below the 85 mark begins to move into the borderline range. Seventy marks 2 standard deviation below the mean and begins the point at which criteria for mentally retarded (mentally handicapped, mentally disabled, intellectually disabled--take your pick) begins to be met.

Having said that, I have worked with kids with IQ's in the 50's who can read. Don't let a number tell the story. Each kid is unique. Find out more about the IQ score; read the entire psychoeducational report and peruse the entire record. You'll learn a lot.
kristabel is offline   Reply With Quote