Run-on Sentences/Fragments - ProTeacher Community

salem

Run-on Sentences/Fragments
Old 10-09-2008, 11:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for hands-on ideas for teaching how to write complete sentences/avoid run-on sentences and fragments.

I have some worksheets (but if you have any of those, I'd love to see them, too!) but am really wanting some sort of activity to go along with teaching this.

Has anyone done anything creative to help students understand how to write complete thoughts?????

Thanks!

salem is offline   Reply With Quote

ealtensee

Old 10-09-2008, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Following a brief mini-lesson on what fragments and sentences are, I cut sentence strips apart by subject and predicate (a lesson I must teach, but haven't yet--and I will use these sentence strips). I color coded them (blue for predicate and red for subject) and passed them out. Each student got either a predicate or a subject. I made my reading students find the "other" half to their fragment. Then they had to stand together in the correct order (subject on the left and predicate on the right) and read their sentence. I used different types of subjects and predicates so that there was no way one predicate could go with another subject.

For instance: The dog/barks loudly at the scary man; The scary man/scared the little girl; The huge boat/sank quickly in the water; The lightening bolt/flashed in the sky; Angie and Randy/love ice cream.

The kids really, really liked it (I have low 3rd grade students, who read at 1st grade level). Of all the years, I've taught, these kids are getting it!
ealtensee is offline   Reply With Quote

iluv3rd

I need ideas too!
Old 10-09-2008, 01:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My kids can identify fragments and sentences when provided examples and tell what is missing (the subject or predicate). But when they do their own writing I either have an endless sentences connected by and (I tell only one "and" per sentence... cross it out an put a period) or fragment after fragment. They punctuate indiscriminately. Overall, my class is full of very weak writers!
iluv3rd is offline   Reply With Quote

salem

Old 10-09-2008, 03:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

iluv3rd---that's my problem, too! They can identify it on a sheet, but when it comes to constructing their own complete sentences they are really bad!!!!

That's why I wanted an "activity" rather than another worksheet---

ealtensee---I like your idea of using the sentence strips, but I haven't taught subject and predicate yet---should I do that BEFORE teaching the run-on/fragment stuff???

I am just tired of seeing it in their writing and decided to do it next---we just finished capital letters last week.

My kids (15 total) are all at grade level and 7 of them are at 4th or above, so you would think they would catch on quickly---yet they are still not capitalizing titles, names, or titles of books, songs, or movies!!!

IT'S MAKING ME CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!
salem is offline   Reply With Quote

ealtensee

I did it before the subject/predicate lesson
Old 10-10-2008, 12:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I don't think my kids are going to get the subject/predicate lesson, but they did get the fragment/sentence thing and I have to say that their sentence writing has improved in the past week and a half. Almost all of them can write a complete sentence now and identify a fragment. I think it will take some practice, but I'm going to use the same sentences for TYPES OF SENTENCES and subject/predicate. I'll add one or two new ones each time--perhaps a question and an imperative to make it juicy. Most importantly, I did a mini-lesson prior to this and spent a lot of time with them reading it and physically standing where they should be in order to read the sentence.

ealtensee is offline   Reply With Quote