Accelerated Reader School Themes/Incentives - ProTeacher Community

momofgboys

Accelerated Reader School Themes/Incentives
Old 10-10-2008, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for a good theme and cheap/free incentive ideas for my school's Accelerated Reader program. I'd like to center the theme around the election (vote to read???), but I'm open to other suggestions. We have almost 800 students at our school, so we really can't afford high dollar prizes. I'd love to read about what you do at your schools. Thanks for sharing!

momofgboys is offline   Reply With Quote

Mellody

Mellody

AR Program
Old 10-11-2008, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My school is using the Olympic theme..... "Reading for the Gold". We have a 10, 25, 50, 75, 100 etc. point club. Each time they reach a point club they get a gold medal that you can purchase very cheap from Oriental Trading. the kids are really excited about this and want to see how many gold medals they can get this year.

moteach3

Touchdown
Old 10-11-2008, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We have used a few different themes with AR, but sports was the one that most kids identified with. This year we are running two separate competition/incentive periods. Our football game is already underway. A set of bulletin boards in the cafeteria have a field for each grade level. The teacher's name is on a giant football which is moved weekly based on the number of books or points earned for AR. (We use # of books for primary and # of points for upper grades to encourage the reading of chapter books) Each week, the team with the best stats (yard gained) gets a popcorn party. (Just a couple of bags of microwave popcorn) Each time a team earns a touchdown, the points are recorded on the scoreboard and the football returns to the start position. Individual students are rewarded for high achievement with coupons to the school store or a free ice cream from the cafeteria. The first contest ends in January with the top two teams in each grade earning a pizza/dance party. We also seek help from our community partners for additional prizes for our winning classes and individual students. The new contest begins as basketball using basically the same procedures. Total school cost is minimal and the kids really love the visual display in the cafeteria.
moteach3 is offline   Reply With Quote

dizzydolphin

AR theme
Old 10-11-2008, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are using a space theme. Blasting off with reading.
dizzydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

maggiesmom

Ar
Old 10-11-2008, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Our school theme is "Read to the Extreme" with focus on extreme sports. Students who make their goal get their picture on either a racing bike, motorcycle, skateboard, skiis...that kind of thing. I think we use the "Read Program for background. We make 11x14 posters, laminate and hang them in the cafeteria. We also use little prizes like items from Oriental Trading. Mini skateboards, bikes, balls, etc. We don't have a really big budget because we are in a pinch as are most other schools over financing. At the end we have a program for goal makers.

maggiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote