Grading Students with Special Needs - ProTeacher Community

ELizard

Grading Students with Special Needs
Old 10-11-2008, 09:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a student that has autism, and I am having difficulty grading him for his class participation since he doesn't participate in whole group lessons, he is unable to complete assignments in class, he usually goes to the resource room to complete assignments with his resource teacher. We grade all students with a rubric for each subject area, and it is based against the district standards and doesn't show progress only if they are meeting the 3rd grade standards. His parents are in denial when it comes to his autism and want him to be successful academically. Any assignments that are not completely straight forward and require higher level thinking skills he is unable to complete them due to his autism. There are many assignments I just do not have him complete because he is incapable of doing them. How do I grade him fairly? Do I just go straight off the rubrics, or do I take his autism into consideration and elivate his grades?

ELizard is offline   Reply With Quote

2old2bnew

Old 10-12-2008, 04:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Working with a child that has a severe case of autism is one of the most difficult of all situations. My class usually includes a special needs student because of my experience with them. Two years ago, I had a first grader who has a severe case of autism- Mom acceppted that he had Autism, but also insisted that he was no different. When this child was in Kindergarten he only communicated by screaming and running from the room. The funny thing is that he would run to my room. I set up a listening station with books for him. One day he called me by name. The next year he was in my classroom. He never ran from my room but continued screaming and lashing out at myself and others. After weeks of being slapped, pinched, and spit in the face... he slapped another child, and I appealed for an aide on the basis of the needs for the other children. My school system provided an aide and the year was better after that. Now for your student...Does this child have a Individual Education Plan (IEP)? If not identified, it is your responsiblity to show how this child performs under normal circumstances. Something that is "telling" is to show what accomodations or modifications have to be made in order for the student to perform. When you give these accomodations or modifications, you need to record them. Is the student able to respond using a computer? Could you provide a word bank or have the answers available and have him respond by pointing to the answer? Does the child have language skills? Do you have to use picture cues?
Let me hear from you ... my heart goes out to you.
2old2bnew is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

What does his IEP state?
Old 10-12-2008, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

In our state, there is a place to indicate how the child is to be graded.

Usually, the choice is either to be graded on grade expectations, or to be graded according to his progress toward his goals.

Check what his IEP states. If it does not state anything, speak with his case manager and discuss how he is to be graded, and come to a consensus. Ideally, the IEP would be amended to state how he is to be graded.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Special Needs Child
Old 10-14-2008, 06:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In my opinion, it is not your place to be grading him at all!! His resource teacher is the person who is meeting his needs, and therefore, is the one who should be doing the grading. His report card should reflect his progress towards his IEP goals, and because he is special ed, he should not be graded on the grade level expectations.

If you end up grading him, I would design a report card that reflects the goals on his IEP. There is no way you can use the grade level rubric to grade a this child. His report card may be more of a narrative than the regular looking report card. Perhaps you and his resource teacher can do this together.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote