Classroom Set Up - ProTeacher Community

juliall77

juliall77

Classroom Set Up
Old 07-10-2006, 12:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I will be teaching 6th grade Language Arts only and I need some ideas for setting up my classroom. Any ideas for ongoing year round bulletin boards for 6th graders and writing? I will be walking into a completely empty room and need to think of ways to set it up for this upcoming year. Any ideas would be wonderful!!

teach4TX

6th Grade Wrtg./BB
Old 07-10-2006, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught 6th L.A./Soc. St. for two years before changing districts. I loved it! One ongoing activity I used was a "grafitti" (sp?) board. This was simply a laminated posterboard w/ a colorful-artsy border around it. Each week (you could do it more/less often) I posted an open-ended question in a clear page protector above the poster. Using a dry-erase marker (attached w/ string), the students would "tag" the board w/ an answer/thought to the question. Students loved this because they could read others responses, and I could erase any responses if they were at all inappropriate. (I never really had a problem w/ that though.) The questions might be related to a novel, social issue, etc.
One thing that really worked for me to organize the papers being turned in was to purchase a plastic file crate/tote (WalMart - pretty cheap) for each class. On the front of the containers, I made a label personalized w/ each class name. Inside the crate were numbered files where students turned in their assignments to their class crate in their individual number file. I kept the crates on a table w/ the current, class in my room at the time, crate in front of the others.
I'll keep thinking and post more ideas as they come back to me.
teach4TX is offline   Reply With Quote

TEACHERLVNV

@ Juliall77
Old 07-10-2006, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

juliall77's Message:
I will be teaching 6th grade Language Arts only and I need some ideas for setting up my classroom. Any ideas for ongoing year round bulletin boards for 6th graders and writing? I will be walking into a completely empty room and need to think of ways to set it up for this upcoming year. Any ideas would be wonderful!!

I always have a board with the caption "Writer's Express" or "Express Yourself" On this board is where the students work was displayed. I always try to have a writing traits/writing process display. (those are the permanent displays.

As for the desks I arrange them in a U, or in groups of 4-6. You can also have a GUM (grammar, usage, and mechanics) board.
TEACHERLVNV is offline   Reply With Quote

ismile

Writer's R Us and Spotlight Authors
Old 07-14-2006, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I did a bulletin board last year that I left up for half of the year. It said Writer's 'R Us across the top in a funky font. Then, I had three graphics of spotlights that I hung under the title. Under each spotlight I put a meet the author page about one of the students. (Each student wrote an about the author page to print off and put in books they "published" during writer's workshop. I had a parent type them all up so that they were readily available. I made the meet the author page by printing a student's about the author page and their picture mounted on a piece of colored construction paper.) Underneath the meet the the author page I tacked a large metal clip. The spotlight author then picked one of their published works to hang under their page. Occasionaly I posted a published author of a well known book under the spotlight. It worked well as a bulletin board to stay up all year because I just had to switch out the meet the author pages every few weeks (which were all done up at once by a parent). I also posted other writing posters around the board including a list of students and what they their writing strength was that they could help others with if they needed. (For example, Bobby- catchy introductions, Sally- Vivid Verbs, etc.)

Hope this helps!
ismile is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Language Arts
Old 07-15-2006, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I would devote a bulletin board to an author each month that you felt the children would enjoy. You could get biographical information from the internet, and display books by this person. You could also spotlight a particular genre that the class might be studying.

NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

phoebe611

tree
Old 07-15-2006, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

On one of the posts somewhere on this board I saw some classroom photos. I think it was the teacher that covered the lights with green paper to make it more cozy. Anyway there was a huge tree in the room. I think it was made of brown paper - that's what I'm doing anyway. I've used a tree before with "Falling into . . . " a good book, fables, etc. I'm going to make it my "Poet tree" for Poetry. I'll start out with laminated posters I have of poems I got from Instructor magazine years ago, then have the students submit and create their own poems with illustrations to go on the tree. I'll keep it going all year long. Good luck to you.
phoebe611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sause

New teacher too.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Julia,
i'm a new 6th grade teacher too and I have been scouting out some web sites, for BB ideas and setting up my classroom. These are what I think I am going with so far:
*U shape for desks
*Homeworkopoly for one BB (you can google it and get the web site if that doesn't work let me know)
*Blank board sectioned off with each students name (like each gets an 9X12 space on the board) and they are in charge of keeping it filled all year. They can do artwork or graded papers they are proud of.
*Another board will be all year too, this one will have class rules and procedures.
*Above the Chalk board I am thinking about cutting letters to spell "Welcome to Success"

That's what I have so far.
Sause
Sause is offline   Reply With Quote

kitty11710

Great ideas!
Old 07-27-2006, 09:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This will be my second year teaching sixth grade language arts and ss. I absolutely love sectioning off a bulletin board and having the students keep it full all year..Keep sharing!
kitty11710 is offline   Reply With Quote