The Orange House story - ProTeacher Community

CATeach

The Orange House story
Old 10-14-2008, 03:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am trying to find a story that I have always told to my kids and I cannot find it in my files! It is called the Orange House, or something like that, and you take a piece of orange contruction paper folded in half and tell a story about a ghost and a witch who make a house. Meanwhile, you are making cuts out of the orange paper to go with the story. When you are done, you open the orange paper and you have a jack o lantern. Does anybody know what I am talking about and have the words to the story? Thanks!

CATeach is offline   Reply With Quote

iluvcats

hope this helps
Old 10-14-2008, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have two versions . One is a mouse and a pumpkin and the other has a witch and a little ghost. I copied and pasted both.It does take a little practice to get it right, but my class loves them!

Mouse House/Pumpkin story
This is a cute story to tell. (You will need a piece of orange construction paper and a pair of scissors.)
Start the story by saying: Once there was a little mouse who lived in a field on a pumpkin farm. It was beginning to get colder out as autumn was coming so he decided to start look for a home. (Fold the paper in half the short way while you are saying this much). He spotted a pumpkin laying on its side in the field and thought that it would make a good, warm place to live. (Cut out a half a pumpkin shape so what when you open the paper up it will look like a whole pumpkin. Donít forget the stem! Donít open the half of a pumpkin up. Hold it for the children to see so that the fold is down. And looks like its laying on its side) The little mouse nibbled a hole in the pumpkin to get inside where it was warm. (Tear a small hole out of the paper right in the middle of the fold Ė this is the nose). Once he got inside the little mouse saw that the door he use to get in would be too small for some of his friends to visit so he nibbled a larger door for them. (tear another hole out on the side of the 1st hole that is away from the stem. Make it about halfway between the first hole and what will be the bottom of the pumpkin. Tear this hole taller to make it look like a bigger door. This is the mouth. Remember you are making holes in the fold of the paper) Then the little mouse noticed that it was very dark in his new house so he decided to make a window. He nibbled and nibbled and soon he had a nice window to let in light. (this hole is not made on the fold. It should be on the side that is closest to the stem and a few inches up from the fold. These are the eyes. Make it about equal distance from the first small whole and the stem.) He was very proud of his house when it was done and invited all of his friends over to wish them a Happy Halloween. (Open your pumpkin and the children will see that you have made a jack-o-lantern) They will ask you to do it again, so have another piece of paper or two handy!!!

Little witch( Need orange paper and scissors)
Once upon a time a very small witch was walking in the woods. The cold wind was blowing the dry leaves all around her. The little witch was frantically searching for a little house for the winter. She could not find one. Suddenly a piece of orange paper, blown by the wind, landed at her feet. She
picked it up. The little witch looked closely at the paper and then she said "I will make myself a little house from this piece of orange paper." She folded the paper in half. Then she took her scissors and she cut off the two corners to make a roof (round off the ends to make the shape of the pumpkin) "This will do just fine" she said as she looked at her new house. "But I will need a door" With her scissors, she cut a door (cut on folded end about 1/3 up from the bottom, this will be the mouth) "This won't do - I won't be able fit my pointed hat" and so she cut a triangle at the top of the door (makes the smile of the pumpkin). She then walked into her new house and found it was very dark inside. "I will need to make windows to let in the light." She then cut a front and back window (cut a square about 1/3 from the top, these are the eyes of the pumpkin) Oh, it was a very good looking house. Her very owl little house with a roof, a door and windows...it was all finished. But just as the little witch started to go inside for the winter, she saw a tiny ghost floating down the wind swept path. As the tiny ghost came to a stop near the little house, she saw that the little ghost was crying "why are you crying?" asked the little witch. The tiny ghost stopped crying and anwered "It is cold and windy, it is getting dark and I have no place to spend the winter." "You may spend the winter with me in my new house, said the little witch. "Oh, thank you" the happy tiny ghost said as she peaked in the window. "This is a very nice house" "First" said the little witch, "I will need to make you a door of your very own" She took the scissors again and began to cut. She cut a very tiny door. (cut a triangle in the middle on the fold, this is the nose of the pumpkin) The two happy new friends went inside. The tiny ghost went in the very little door and the little witch went in through her own special door. All winterlong they lived happily together inside the little orange house. If you want to see inside their little orange house, just unfold the sheet of paper. Surprise.
iluvcats is offline   Reply With Quote

teachY

Cute
Old 10-14-2008, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

These stories are super cute! I will practice them and show my students. They are going to love it!
teachY is offline   Reply With Quote

CATeach

Thank you!
Old 10-18-2008, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The second one was exactly the one I was looking for!
CATeach is offline   Reply With Quote

nae77

Thanks!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for taking the time to share this story! I appreciate it!

nae77 is offline   Reply With Quote