Help

ARCHIVE

Teaching Syllables

>

IrvingEl

Teaching Syllables
Old 10-18-2008, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any fun games or way to teach syllables? I am drawing a blank and all I can think of is clapping them out...

Any other ideas are much appreciated! Thanks in advance

IrvingEl is offline   Reply With Quote

HailGail

Syllables
Old 10-18-2008, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do a lot of clapping and relate it to the number of vowel sounds. For example, I'll say How many claps in Brianna ( we usually do this in relationship to our student of the day) How many vowel letters do you see in her name. Compare with Katie two "claps" and two vowel sounds--but 3 vowels.

I may have kids line up by the number of syllables in their first or last name etc.
HailGail is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. O

A game we play
Old 10-18-2008, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Once they have mastered the clap method, I place numbers around the room (1, 2, 3, 4 or more). I call a word and the kids have to go to the number. They seem to like this game because they get to move a lot. I also write words on cards and they have to read the card and go stand in the area of the number of syllables their word has. Then we go around the room to see if everyone is in their correct space.
Mrs. O is offline   Reply With Quote

teach & learn

How About
Old 10-18-2008, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

a syllable sort? Perhaps in a pocket chart for a large group? Carl's corner has worksheets that you could use for the pictures. I'll attach a sample.

Don't forget about syllable blending too, give the parts and they blend them together.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Count%20the%20Syllables%20Animals.pdf (235.9 KB, 645 views)
teach & learn is offline   Reply With Quote

teach & learn

another document
Old 10-18-2008, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Here's another document i created for my K staff so they could have some words at their fingertips when they had a few spare minutes ori if wanted to use it as a way of lining kids up.

Attached Files
File Type: doc Phonological Awareness word eng..doc (199.5 KB, 472 views)
teach & learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach2Learn

Syllable Salad
Old 10-18-2008, 10:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I'm doing syllables this week. We are going to make syllable salads with different fruits and vegetables. I gathered pictures in MSWord and on the net to print and cut out. Then I'm going to use three paper plates with the numbers 1, 2, and 3 on them. Each student will be able to have a turn choosing which plate the fruit or vegetable needs to go on--one syllable goes on the 1 plate, two syllables on the 2 plate, etc. I can't remember if I have any 4 syllable foods or not but if I do, I'll add a fourth plate.

I also use class names for a worksheet type activity. I type up all the student's first names and then let them clap out the syllables and write the number next to the names. I usually use this as an assessment.

I also have several sets of gloves (the $1.00 ones at Walmart) that I let them put on and use to clap syllables of pictures for a center type activity.
Teach2Learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Judy B.

Alternative to clapping
Old 10-19-2008, 06:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I find that some students can't hear the syllables to clap them. I have them put their hand flat under their chin and count the number of times it goes down when they say a word. I usually do this first and then move to clapping the syllables.
Judy B. is offline   Reply With Quote

NewTeacher1st

"Mother" May I...
Old 10-19-2008, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We play this game... I do it with a small group.. I say a word to a student such as "table" and they have to say "Teacher may I take 2 steps closer?" if they correctly identified the right number of syllables, they move forward...
NewTeacher1st is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2tchkds

Syllables
Old 10-21-2008, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

One way is to have them tap on their fingers instead of clapping. I also have them tap up their arm. Start at the hand, then the mid arm, the elbow, then the shoulder if needed. Then you slide up the arm to put the word together. For example if the word is cat you would tap the arm 3 times and then slide up the arm while you're saying the word.
Hope it helps.

Janae
luv2tchkds is offline   Reply With Quote