Daily Activities to Do With Poem of the Week - ProTeacher Community

Dragonfly Gal

Daily Activities to Do With Poem of the Week
Old 10-18-2008, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first grade teacher who has always wanted to add a "poetry" section to my teaching day. This is the year. We are using the composition books to glue down our poem and then we illustrate it on the next page. I am looking for great ideas I can do each day with the poem to help get across the grammar and comprehension. You guys have great ideas and I am hoping you can help me too

Dragonfly Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

formerexpat

Here are some things we do:
Old 10-18-2008, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1. We use it for shared reading at a center. One child gets to be the "teacher" and leads the other children at the center (with a pointer) in re-reading the poem with fluency.

2. I have it copied on sentence strips. The children at the center have to re-assemble it in order and then re-read it.

3. They illustrate what they see on their "Brain Tv's."

4. They circle words, in different specific colors, that are: word wall words, have "vowel clues" (such as ea, ou, etc), have digraphs, etc.

5. We use our poetry notebooks for Buddy Reading. Buddies re-read all of our poems, and then work on one favorite to "perform" for the class as a whole.

6. You could have the children complete a Text-to-self connection graphic organizer.

Hope this helps!
formerexpat is offline   Reply With Quote

Dragonfly Gal

Great Activities For Poems
Old 10-25-2008, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Dear Formerexpat,
Thank you so much for the great ideas. I have started putting some of them to use. They love the "Teacher" idea. What do you mean by "Brain TV's"?

Thank you for the time and great ideas,
Dragonfly Gal
Dragonfly Gal is offline   Reply With Quote