Sunshine/Social Committee - ProTeacher Community

Much more

Much more

Sunshine/Social Committee
Old 10-19-2008, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Okay- I'm a REGULAR poster but signed out due to the nature of this post.

I'm new to a certain school this year and signed up to be on the Social Comm. (some schools call it Sunshine) There is NOT a lot of participation and I was confused and wondering WHY? Not too many people paid their dues and the ones who did pay were mostly new people to the school. Come to find out, many people REFUSE to pay because they feel their money was misused last year (again, I was not there last year). The person who was in charge last year, is still involved this year.

I really want to keep records to assure everyone exactly "where" and how their money is being spent- I think this part should be easy. It's already been started.

A few questions for my fellow PT'ers--
1. What guidelines do you follow at your school? When and how much do you spend on baby/wedding showers? Birthdays?

2. When a staff member has a death in the family, do you buy them a plant? Is it only when an immediate family member dies?

3. Do you celebrate birthdays as a group or individually?

Let me just say, being on this committee is MUCH more than I thought it would be. So many things to consider.
I thought it was about building community among the staff and creating a positive work place for ALL. I've leraned otherwise! Much more than I want to know-
Next year, I'm heading in another direction.

Do you have any tips, pointers, suggestions? Please share!

jmk242

Sunshine
Old 10-19-2008, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

At my school each year different staff members are on the committee, you are not given any choice. This year my grade level and 4 other teachers make up the committee.

At the beginning of the year we ask for $30 from each staff member. Luckily, most participate.

We plan the holiday party (small fee for teachers to attend since it is out) and the end of the year party (no fee).

During the year we also plan wedding and baby showers, but for first marriages and babies only. The committee just does the invitations, decorations and food. The gifts come from groups of teachers or as individuals.

For second marriages/more than one baby, we send around a card to be signed and send a small present. I believe the same goes from sympathy cards. (I am a fairly new teacher and this is my first time on the committee).

We also plan "Fun Friday" once a month to go celebrate the end of the week with some drinks at a restaurant just down the block.

You're right, it IS a lot of work! Good luck!
jmk242 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zilly

Old 10-19-2008, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I wish my school did more of what the PP says they do at her school, where the social committee PLANS events but most of the costs are paid individually as things come up and if you choose to take part (like the Fun Friday gathering).

At my school we each pay $50 a year to the fund and there is absolutely no accounting to us as to where that money goes. Then, throughout the year, we're asked to donate money for other events and needs (so-and-so was in a car wreck, we're collecting money...so-and-so's son is traveling on a school trip, we're collecting money...on and on and on). Don't get me wrong, SOME of those things are worthy and I'm happy to help out someone in need, but what happened to the $50 I already gave? How could all that money be gone and it's only the first week of Nov? (I'm thinking back to last year about a certain request for money.) It is so aggravating, but I'm too scared to speak up and find out where all the money is going.

Oh, and in addition to the $50 we're expected to buy our own gifts for baby showers and weddings. Birthdays are done by groups and we of course pay extra out of our own pockets for that.

Good luck! I don't blame your colleagues for being upset and not wanting to pay.
Zilly is offline   Reply With Quote

MJH

I'm not joining
Old 10-19-2008, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I refuse to join this year an it's not because of money, they are only asking for $10 for the year. I'm not joining because of the guidelines.

Immediate family is defined in the guideline as spouse and children, not step children) A small plant will be sent if there is a death.

Only the teacher will get flowers if there is a surgery.

Nothing is done for holiday parties or retirement.

Everything is left up to the grade level. It doesn't even cover wedding shower or baby shower. Not even flowers once the baby is delievered even if by c-section. It's all up to each grade level to plan, organize and buy a gift out of pocket. Why am I paying dues when I will spend so much more on my own.

Last year I spend $50 for a wedding gift and decorations for the shower. Faculty Christmas lunch was $15 and $10 for a retirement party. Plus the diaper drops for 2 co-workers and plants for funerals not covered under the guidelines. I really didn't mind spending the money but what did the committee really do to bring Sunshine for all these members.

I don't like the pass the envolope because some teachers will not give but yet the whole faculty gets recognized for giving. It's not that the teachers can not afford to but they know they can sign without giving. It's just not done in a fair or cost efficent manner.
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote

TuesdayBear

Old 10-19-2008, 04:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For our Sunshine Fund, certificated staff pays 20 bucks, classified pays 10, at the beginning of the year.

We buy flower arrangements for funerals in the immediate family (parents, siblings, no in-laws) and new babies born to staff members. We send cards with these that everyone signs.

If a staff member is having a surgery, is getting married, or has something else going on that may warrant a Sunshine response, we get them a card only that everyone signs. This can include surgery of spouse or child, death of in-law, things like that.

Baby showers, wedding showers, etc. are handled by the grade level colleagues of the person for whom the shower is being held. Sunshine does not contribute to showers.

Sunshine purchases gifts at the end of the year for teachers leaving due to retirement or something else. Sunshine also contributes funds toward the Christmas party and end-of-year party so we can keep the catering fee per person down.

TuesdayBear is offline   Reply With Quote

tiney

Tiney
Old 10-19-2008, 05:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our school collects 25 a year. Showers are given and funded by the grade level hosting it for their team member. Then each grade level gives a gift - pitching in about $5 each. The Sunshine funds are used for deaths of immediate family or surgeries for staff members. We send a plant. We also do things throughout the year with the money. Mostly things to "bring sunshine" to the staff. For Halloween we have "Monster Mash". This is a snack for all of the staff. For Birthdays this year we are giving each staff member a 100 Grand candy bar and a scratch off lotto ticket. We also buy gifts for Bosses' day, nurse's day, administrative assistant's day, counselors day, librarian's day. We tie them into 2 socials for the year. We split our staff into two groups and they are each responsible for hosting (and funding) the socials - nothing big. For Valentine's Day we give each staff member a homemade Valentine cookie. We do tea and a sweet when it gets cold. We do other things tied to Calendar events throughout the year. We do lots more, but I can't think of them right now!
tiney is offline   Reply With Quote

treetoad

Old 10-19-2008, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

our teachers association drew up a set of rules for this committee and everyone in the school receives a copy in their mailbox along with a request for $25.00
a. wedding shower - cake-punch-card with $25.00
b. baby shower same with baby bank engraved baby bank and $10.00
c. staff illness requiring overnight in the hospital - plant
d. staff illness (outpatient surgery) card - considering a change this year since so many surgeries are now outpatient
e. family illness -cards only
f. staff or immediate family of staff death - plant - team members excused to go to services if they choose
g. parent of staff - plant
h. all recognitions day - secretary-bosses day etc. cards
i. board of education for their day - cheese tray at board meeting

at showers individuals may give additional gifts if they choose
recognitions of paticular days a staff member is free to give a gift but should not ask others to be included.

All promotions such as cub scouts selling popcorn etc. may not be done on school property and staff members are not to solicit from others.
this is a biggie for us and strictly followed.

the committee is listed and it is up to the staff members to inform them of a situation that needed their attention because they may not hear about it. In our situation bus drivers, caffeteria staff and custodians are part of this group.
treetoad is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 10-21-2008, 06:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have full time certified staff pay $26 a year. This isn't bad since it is only $1 per pay period. The non certified staff pay $10. Each sememster we e-mail a statement that shows how much we spent and what it was for.
If someone gets married we generally give them a nice picture frame. We usually get pretty nice ones at Hobby Lobby on sale. Usually the grade level puts on the shower and provides the food.

For the first baby we buy a piggy bank and put in $50.

We send get-well and sympathy cards for spouses-children-and parents.

Funeral flowers are sent if a staff member dies or someone in the immediate family, otherwise we send a card.

If a retired teacher, parent of an enrolled student, or student die we buy a book and dedicate it in their memory. This also helps build up our library.

Sometimes we do little things if the staff needs a pick-me-up. We try to let everyone know via e-mail of what we are doing.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote