Help

ARCHIVE

How do you teach High Frequency Words?

>

Lilybug06

How do you teach High Frequency Words?
Old 10-20-2008, 03:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need some help. My principal came in today and gave me a new list of High Frequnecy words. We have about 60+ words to learn. I have just been teaching the words that we see in our books for guided reading. Please help stressed out teacher!!

Lilybug06 is offline   Reply With Quote

annieburto

Sight Words
Old 10-20-2008, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach a lot of my sight words through my morning letter. I have introduced about 2 words per week since the beginning of the year. Those go up on my word wall and we read them each day. In my letter I will write several sentences and leave out high frequency words that are on my word wall. Example: Dear Boys ___ Girls, etc. The students will identify what word is missing, locate it on the word wall and then one person comes up and writes it in the blank. The other students write it on the person's back in front of them, etc. As the year progresses, I change my morning letter to include other skills, but right now I focus mainly on missing sight words. We have writers' workshop in my classroom, so right now a lot of the words on the word wall are words which they use often in their writing.
annieburto is offline   Reply With Quote

Strawberry_K5

Old 10-20-2008, 05:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

These are some activities that I have the students do in class. Repetition, repetition, repetition!

* Daily morning message.
* We spell the words together (we sing some).
* I place them on the word wall for the students to refer to when writing in their journal.
* Read or Write-the-Room
* "Roll, Stamp, & Write" sight words
* Stamp sight words
* Play BAM (sight word game)
* During reading center, they locate sight words found in their book and write them on white boards.
* After listening center, they locate and write down sight words from their book on tape.
* When I send home take-home books, I write down sight words for parents to work on at home with their child.
* Pocket chart. Making and reading sight word sentences--Ex. I like green (picture).
* Bookmaking (Kinderlit, simple sight word books)
* Sight word Bingo (make through Microsoft word)
* Art (Ex. I see one orange pumpkin.)
Strawberry_K5 is offline   Reply With Quote

URMySunshine

Write, write, write
Old 10-20-2008, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

The more they use the words, the more apt they are to learn them. I introduce them slowly at first. We focus mostly the first nine weeks on letters and sounds. I've found they really take off after Christmas, so don't stress if it seems things are moving slowly right now. I agree with the PP. The more they use them and you use them in the shared writing, the quicker they will pick them up.
URMySunshine is offline   Reply With Quote

Kelli

Popcorn Words
Old 10-21-2008, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I call my sight words "Popcorn Words" because they keep popping up in our reading! This week I introduced my first 2 popcorn words and we had a popcorn party to get them excited! I wanted to introduce them sooner but I justed didn't get it together.

I use the printable books from Mrs. Hubbards Cupboard. I make the teacher big book and print out the picture cards. Before we even read the story, we match the picture card with the word. I then write the popcorn words on popcorn cut outs and hang on my word wall. At the end of the week, each student colors a take home book (same as big book) and then keeps it at home. If you want more details PM me.

Kelli is offline   Reply With Quote

stacyPA

Heidi's Songs
Old 10-21-2008, 02:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I highly recommend Heidi Butkus' cds for high frequency words. They are easy to sing and the kids love them! Check out her website http://www.heidisongs.com/

We use the sing and spell volume one in my classroom. The songs and motions are very catchy. You can print out the motions from her songs directly from the website.
stacyPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Dr. A

Drill Drill Drill...
Old 10-21-2008, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I drill & practice. The more repetitive -the more they will learn.
Dr. A is offline   Reply With Quote

Kween69

Old 10-21-2008, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

oh thanks for the ideas!
I seriously thought I was introducing them TOO early!
thanks for the heads up teachers!
Kween69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachin in FL

Sight words
Old 11-03-2008, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

These are all great ideas. My kids also make up a chant/ cheer for each word. For example when we did the words "he" and "she" we brushed our hair on each side for each letter (S- left side, H- right side, E- left side) and for He we flexed our muscles. The kids love to make up the cheer and the more silly they look the more fun they have.
Teachin in FL is offline   Reply With Quote