skills vs strategies - ProTeacher Community

melonjar

skills vs strategies
Old 10-21-2008, 01:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ok. I'm new to 4th and have a new grade card. There are areas under the reading grade that we give OSU. There are two categories that confuse me.

In the list is Reading Skills. Also in the list is Reading Strategies.

What's the difference between reading skills and reading strategies?

Thanks!

melonjar is offline   Reply With Quote

talgirl

I think
Old 10-21-2008, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Skills are what they are able do while reading and strategies are techniques they use to read (decoding and sounding out words?).
talgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

WriteTeach

yes
Old 10-21-2008, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

that is what we use in my district as well. Skills are the big goal (like inference, envisioning, etc.) and the strategies are the things they do to make those things happen (like envisioning by using the dialogue tags). if you write teaching points or objectives, its like the skill is what the kids will do and the strategy is how you expect them to do it. it is so confusing! i hope that helps!
WriteTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Teachzm

Old 10-21-2008, 04:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I always found strategies and skills hard to define, especially to kids! I tell them that Strategies are what all good readers do as they read. Skills are what you are learning about reading when we analyze the story together.
Teachzm is offline   Reply With Quote
ARGEMIROJAB

ARGEMIROJAB

A Possible Answer
Old 07-13-2009, 08:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Skill

These are automatic procedures that do not require thought, interpretation, or choice.

Skills are product-oriented, observable behaviors such as answers to questions, answers on tests, skills lists, and taxonomies.

Skills instruction stresses repeated practice in applying skills until they become habitual responses to particular tasks.

Strategy

A strategy is a conscious plan under the control of the reader, who must make decisions about what strategies to use and when to use them.

Strategies are process-oriented, cognitive operations the reader engages in, generally thought to be unobservable.

Strategy instruction stresses the reasoning process readers go through as they interact with and comprehend text: how the strategies one uses change when one reads different texts or reads for different purposes.

Strategy instruction teachers what to do with a skill, how and why to use it, and why it is important.

Strategy instruction focuses on ways to help students understand what they read.