Gifted/Advanced Math 3rd grade - ProTeacher Community

kkim4

Gifted/Advanced Math 3rd grade
Old 10-27-2008, 05:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi,

I recently posted on the 3rd grade board - looking for some help. I have 2-3 students who are quite superior in math - multiplication, in particular. I am trying to put together an independent packet or problem solving activity for these kids to do while I am teaching with the rest of the class. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

kkim4 is offline   Reply With Quote

gislady

gislady
Old 10-30-2008, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have found much success using a set of books called Math Rules! by Barbara VandeCreek. There are three books and you can purchase one or all three. In your case, the book for 3rd-4th grade would probably be just right for you. I copy the 3rd grade unit on colored paper and put it in a folder that the students can keep at their desks. Depending on your students, you can put the answers in also. I tell my students to put a question mark by the problem they are having difficulty with and see me when I am free. You can also let the students work together when they are stuck. By using the colored paper, I can see at a glance what they are working on. This book is unique and I have had great success using the series with grades 1-4. I purchased mine through Pieces of Learning. Their # is 1-800-729-5137. Call for a catalog.

Good luck!
gislady is offline   Reply With Quote

janiebird19

Marcy Cook
Old 10-30-2008, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

You might want to look into Marcy Cook tiling activities. They can be very challenging. www.marcycookmath.com has samples.

The PP's suggestion of Math Rules! is good also. 24 Game would be another great resource. It can be played with a small group or a student can try to solve them independently.
janiebird19 is offline   Reply With Quote