Cat won't take medicine - ProTeacher Community

nyr

nyr

Cat won't take medicine
Old 07-13-2006, 08:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I took my cat to the vet yesterday and the vet put him on medication (pills). I have tried crushing it in his food, wrapping it in liverwurst and turkey breast and holding him and putting it in his mouth and his spits it out every time. This morning he threw it up all over my comforter. Any advice for getting him to take his medicine?

teachva

cats med
Old 07-13-2006, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Put the pill in a small amount of baby food. The baby food coats the pill so they eat it. I usually use chicken baby food. Good Luck!
teachva is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

cat
Old 07-13-2006, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Poor kitty. It sounds like even if you can find a way to get him to take it, it won't stay in his system. Does it have to be orally? I'd call the vet and ask if he has it similar to flea/heartworm medication where it does on the back of their neck. I can give my dog oral meds, but not my cat - must be a cat thing.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

If you have help . . . .
Old 07-13-2006, 09:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

. . .wrap the cat in a towel so it can't scratch or escape. Hold its mouth open by pressing gently on the sides. Pop the pill in and stroke its chin or neck until it swallows. Usually this works with ours.
Good luck! You can't give up, you know. The vet visit and the cost of the meds is no good if they don't go down.
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

Elise82

Does it come in liquid form?
Old 07-13-2006, 11:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I think it's much easier to give a cat liquid med in a syringe. (Just point it between their teeth and squirt!) I've never tried pills. Those pills must be awfully bitter if he won't even eat it crushed in his food.

The baby food idea sounds like it would work. Mine loves the gravy part of cat food in the pouch. If I ever had to give her a pill, I'd crush it and mix it in gravy.

Good luck!

Elise82 is offline   Reply With Quote
memories

memories

sympathy
Old 07-13-2006, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It always takes two of us.
One wraps the cat in a large towel and hold him still.
The other prys open the cat's mouth, pops the pill in, and then holds the mouth closed until he swallows it.
(This was the method recommended by our vet.)

SJT

meds
Old 07-13-2006, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My dog has to take meds everyday. We had a hard time getting him to take it so we started buying the little pouches of gourmet dog food with gravy and crushing the meds up in it. He eats it that way. He wouldn't eat it in cheese or lunchmeat or peanut butter, but he does eat it in the gravy/gourmet food. Maybe they have something like that for cats that you can try. Good luck. I know how precious pets are.
SJT is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 07-13-2006, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My cats are very difficult to give medice to also. Like others said it helps to wrap them in something to help give medicine. I also purchased a small syringe thing for pills. It helps to get it in their mouths and far enough down that they will swallow. Then we keep their mouths closed for another second and touch their noses so they swallow.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote
mdm

mdm

Giving a cat medicine
Old 07-13-2006, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

is a challenge!! It does take two people. Vets seem to be able to do it with ease, but for those of us who don't have the daily practice they do, it is quite a feat to get a little pill in a cat's mouth and make it stay there.

My vet showed me how give a pill and let me practice while he was standing there. (My cat had to take two pills.) His method makes it as easy as it can possibly be.

1. Get everything ready. Pill, pill syringe if you can get one from the vet, the person who is going to help you, a treat, and water in a small dish.

2. Put the cat on a table or a piece of furniture it would have to jump from to get away from you. Don't try to give the cat a pill while it is on the floor. It can escape too easily. We used our ottoman.

3. Have the person who is helping you stand or kneel behind the cat and hold the cat by skin on the back of the neck for a few seconds first (reminds them of mama cat) then hold the cat firmly but gently by the shoulders and chest. The helper uses his/ her forearms to hold the rest of the cat. Praise the kitty for even the smallest amount of cooperation.

4. Now you will make a v-shape between the ring-finger and the pinky finger on your left hand by holding those fingers apart. Hold the cat's neck in this v-shape. (Your palm should be toward the cat's head.) Rotate you hand so that you can place your thumb and index finger under the cat's cheek bones. Gently but quickly tilt the cat's head backwards until jaw automatically opens (the head will go back to almost a 90 degree angle.)

5. Quickly insert the pill-filled syringe into the back of the cat's mouth with your right hand. If you can't get a syringe from your vet, use the index finger on your right hand to push the pill to the back of the throat. Gently bring the cat's head forward, and by that time she should have swallowed the pill. Done! It takes less than a minute for the whole process.

6. Praise the heck out of your kitty, offer a treat and some water, and then prepare for the next dose!

You might practice holding the cat's head a few times before giving the medicine so your kitty is familiar with it. This is also a good way to check your cat's teeth.

Have fun!!!

CKathyteach

Kitty and Medicine
Old 07-16-2006, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My brother's cat(not the friendliest, cuddliest feline ) has to take medicine twice a day for epilepsy. Poor brother tried everything to get the cat to take his meds, but since the cat refused to take the medication orally, the vet suggsted having it made into an ointment that my brother rubs into the tips of the cat's ears. Apparently this is quite effective and the little guy has been doing great for two years now! Go figure.
CKathyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
dkd1173

dkd1173

Cats taking pills
Old 07-16-2006, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had this same issue when my cat was on antibiotics for 10 days last year. She is an expert at spitting out pills. I bought something called a "piller" from my vet. It is basically a little plunger that shoots the pill to the back of the cat's throat so she can't spit it out. My dad, who grew up on a farm, also taught me the trick of holding the cat's mouth closed once the pill is in and gently rubbing its chin/throat area to get it to swallow. These two techniques combined worked MOST of the time. She got wise toward the end of her antibiotic cycle and would spit the pill out even when I could have sworn it had gone to the back of her throat. The pill plunger thing really helped, though. Sometimes it would take two or three tries, but eventually the pill would go down. Good luck!

Flower Child

Pill Pockets
Old 07-31-2006, 05:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I hope your kitty is doing better by now. I have a diabetic cat on oral meds twice a day. The vet recommended a product called Pill Pockets. You can buy these at the vets and I have also found them at the pet stores. They are a yummy treat that you stick the pill in, and my kitty, who is a very finickky eater eats the whole thing and wants more!! Apparently there is some danger of forcing a dry pill down kitty's throat without lubrication (can cause irritation and esophogeal problems), so this was a great idea I thought. The Pill Pockets are a little on the expensive side, but well worth it!!
Flower Child is offline   Reply With Quote
kittylover

kittylover

cat won't take liquid oral meds
Old 10-23-2007, 07:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

i have a cat that was just spayed and have been administered an oral liquid pain med. My first problem is the numbers on the dropper rubs away. My second problem is thst she drools alot when i give it too her or she will flick her tongue very dast to spit it out. The smell of the medicine is so strong and greasy she refuses to eat or dring it with anything. I have tried a technique where i put the dropper on the side of her mouth and genthly give her the mdecine ehile blowing or rubbing her nose, but she still drools. I dpnt knwo if theres something else wrong but shes has been acting funny. She has very stiff movement and lethargic should i be worried?