Leaving Mid Year - ProTeacher Community

Leaving

Leaving

Leaving Mid Year
Old 10-29-2008, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone ever left a teaching position in the middle of the school year? I'm currently in a job that I don't like very much. Its not the kids at all. It's the administration and the UNREALISTIC demands that they put on the staff. If all I had to do was teach everyday, I would be fine! But when I'm asked to teach and do a million other things all day everyday, I'm at the end of my rope. I'm not to the point that I dread going to work yet, but it's certainly getting to that point. I'm seriously thinking about leaving and I won't be the first person! I'm really worried about what will happen to my kids and feel incredibly guilty about the thought of leaving them. I'm trying to make it until the end of the year, but it's not even Thanksgiving yet and I'm dreaming of summer vacation. Any words of wisdom?

TeachtoScrap

Try to hang in there!
Old 10-29-2008, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

From the FIRST day of school last year, I wanted to QUIT! My class was crazy. It was my 10th year of teaching and I wanted to find something else.

DH talked me out of it. Eventually, things got a little eaiser to manage. I just lived for EVERY weekend and break.

This year: MUCH better! I have the nicest class.

I do know what it is like to work in a school that the admin was unorganized/unrealistic/demanding/unkind, etc... I did that for 7 years. I got out and have loved every (well, ALMOST every minute ) in my new district.

Quitting mid-year doesn't always work to your advantage when searching for a new position. Keep that in mind. June will be here before you know it. After all, it is almost NOV.
TeachtoScrap is offline   Reply With Quote

gohawks

hang in there!
Old 10-29-2008, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Remember that you are there for the kids! They would be so upset and lost without you. Try to stay for the year just for your kiddos. In this world, these young children see adults enter and exit their lives so much (divorce, parents' boy or girl friends, step-families) that they need stability when they come to school. I know admin and extra demands may be driving you insane- but try to hang in there for the sake of the class.
gohawks is offline   Reply With Quote

mizzreadalot

I did it!
Old 10-29-2008, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I left mid year a few years ago. It was the best thing for the kids and me. The kids got a teacher that wanted to be there and I moved to another wonderful job that I really love. The kids feel your stress so if you are having a hard time they are too.
mizzreadalot is offline   Reply With Quote

PPCDTeacher

Old 10-29-2008, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just left my job this week.
I didn't have any problems at all getting out of my contract. My boss was very understanding.
If you look for some of my old posts, you'll see the situation I've been in for the past year.
You need to take care of YOU-- don't let anyone let you feel guilty about leaving the kids, or that you'll break their hearts, or anything like that. Don't worry about what the other teachers will think.
You need to take care of yourself. My principal even told me that.
I've got a fabulous new job starting next week (non-teaching) that I cannot wait to start on, and I know I made a good decision.

PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
I did

I did

Old 10-30-2008, 04:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I left mid year (January) last year. Right at the semester break. It was the best thing I ever did...for myself and the kids. You have to look out for yourself first.

blueheron

Leaving before the school year ends
Old 10-30-2008, 05:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I did that three years ago. If I hadn't I might not be here answering your query. I was so stressed that I couldn't pay attention to the rest of my life. I'd cross streets without looking, not remember anything about driving to work, and wish that I could somehow conveniently die so I would not have to face what awaited me at work. I hung on for as long as I could because of my highly needy and caustic students, who had already experienced another teacher leaving before me. However, it got to a point where I really couldn't do it any more. It take a some time before I was ready to return, and I subbed in the interim. This year I finally returned to teacher full-time, and am having a much better experience. My thinking is that I don't owe my job my life. I work hard, come early, often stay late, and give 100 percent all day long. However, family, friends, other interests, sleep, exercise are all essential to me.
blueheron is offline   Reply With Quote

Quatro

bird in the hand
Old 10-30-2008, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Check to see if there is a penalty for leaving early. My best friend left a difficult job without a new job waiting. First she lost her two summer checks, and then had difficulty and still hasn't gotten a new teaching job. Best of luck to you. PS I stayed at the same diffiuclt job but it almost cost me my marriage. so please weigh all the factors.
Quatro is offline   Reply With Quote
LPISD

LPISD

Curious
Old 10-30-2008, 07:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Do you teach at LPISD....?

PPCDTeacher

Old 10-30-2008, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I had no penalties for leaving early. They gave me no problems. The HR guy said, (and I asked--are there penalties, fines, sanctions, anything?) "No, if you want out of your contract, we'll let you out of your contract." In fact, he signed my paperwork without even looking at it. I resigned on the day I wanted to leave. I did not have to give 2 weeks notice or a months notice or anything. It was all much, much easier than I had expected it to be. I wasted a LOT of time and energy worrying about it. I'd had a lot of people praying for me (possibly thousands) so that might have helped too.
PPCDTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolyn

I did
Old 10-31-2008, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I had a wonderful principal. I really liked the guy. He was fair and understanding when it came to our students. We had a lot of discipline problems in the school, and he really worked hard to help us. Unfortunately, he left to go to a bigger school closer to where he lived, and in came Ms. Principal Tyrant. She hated me from day one. I didn't choose her, nor did she choose me or the rest of the staff. I gave notice to leave at mid-year.

Getting back to you, it does sound as if you have a lot of "stuff" to do. It is hard to balance the demands every day of your work even without all of that extra paperwork, etc. to do. My only words of wisdom would include making sure you keep up with it often so that you aren't falling behind with it.
Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote