Help

ARCHIVE

Quiet Indoor Classroom Games

>

JKB

Quiet Indoor Classroom Games
Old 10-30-2008, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Winter is just around the corner and that means that we will be having more indoor recesses.

I am looking for some different whole group classroom recreational games. There are always the "tried true" ones such as silent seat ball, heads up-seven up, and around the world. Then, of course there is the classic Hangman game. However, I'd like to find something NEW to do with my kids.

What are your favorite "quiet" classroom games that you like to play with your class (and how do you play them? )

Thanks in advance!

JKB

JKB is offline   Reply With Quote

the enforcer

A quiet classroom game
Old 10-30-2008, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

that is one of my students' favorites is "Doggie, Doggie, Where's Your Bone?" You have 2 students in front of the room - usually one is sitting while the other is standing. The one sitting closes his eyes with his back to the rest of the class. The one standing takes an eraser (or any other designated object) and hides it with one of the other students in his/her desk. Then the whole class sings, "Doggie, doggie, where's your bone? Somebody's got it in their home." The child in the front of the room with the closed eyes then stands up and turns around. He/She gets 3 guesses concerning the location of the bone. If he/she guesses right, then that person comes up and the original person goes back to his seat. Then the game starts again. If he/she does NOT guess correctly, then the "bone" is shown, and the game begins all over with the same person still having to close his eyes and guessing again.

Another favorite is "Good Morning, Judge." Again 2 kids are chosen to go to the front of the room. One person is the picker while the other person sits, turned around away from the class with eyes closed. The picker chooses someone from the class by pointing (not saying anything aloud), and that person may get up and move around to another location in the room (if desired) and says, "Good morning, Judge" in a totally different voice. Then he/she goes back to his/her seat, the judge opens his eyes, and turns around trying to guess who said the statement.

Hope your students enjoy these - mine always do.
the enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote

only4Him

Silent Ball
Old 10-31-2008, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Mine is silent bird because I use a stuffed bird. But you can use a ball as well. Kids play it two different ways...

1. Find a place in the classroom. Students toss the ball to another. No talking or you are out. (this includes noises and laughing) If it is a bad throw you are out. If you drop it you are out. If you touch it but don't catch it you are out. You can't move off of your spot. You may pivot ONE foot only in any direction. You may not have a hard throw.

2. Rules are the same but students sit on their desk. They can't fall off their desk. No feet on the desk.

The other game is four corners. One child is it and stands in the middle of the room. The other kids choose a corner (n,s,e,w or 1,2,3,4) to stand. The child in the middle calls a corner and all those kids have to sit down. Keep going until there is a winner. Kids have to be quiet or else the one in the middle will know where they are.
only4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

ladybug12

Old 10-31-2008, 03:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We play "four corners" too...it is the only truly quiet game my kids play!
ladybug12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 10-31-2008, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I played one today after our FAll Fest.

I put up the word HALLOWEEN and told them to make as many words as they could. Winner got a sour punch straw.

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Cherrie28

Museum
Old 11-01-2008, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

All students pretend they are statues at a museaum and freeze in any position they'd like. One student is the museum guard. That students walks around the room and tries to find people who are moving, and if he does, they are out and have to go to their seats. They can only move when the guard is no looking. They also can't talk or laugh or they are out. My students make it a point to get silly and make faces behind the guard, but then freeze really quick when he turns around. It is hilarious what some of my students do!!
Cherrie28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cleopatra

Who's missing?
Old 11-01-2008, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

- We play 'Who's missing?' One student leaves the room. We then pick another student to hide, under a desk, in a closet, or even walk out the other door. Then everyone has to get up and sit in a different spot in the room. When all are seated, we bring in the first student and he/she has to tell us who is missing from the group. Kids love it.

- Another one is 'I Love You Honey'. Real funny for 6th graders. Everyone stands in a large circle with one person as it, in the middle of the circle. His/her job is to try to make everyone laugh, but the only thing he/she could say is 'I love you honey'. Anyone who cracks a smile gets in the circle as well, and tries to make others laugh. The last person to laugh becomes it. You are not allowed to touch them, or say anything else. You have to find a way to say it to get them to laugh.

- The famous Heads up Seven up is a good one too.

- Hangman is also a cool one.
Cleopatra is offline   Reply With Quote

dtalbott

Eraser Tag
Old 11-01-2008, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Eraser Tag
Divide class into 2 teams.
Pick 2 players at a time, one from each team. Each is assigned an ending corner of room they need to get to while balancing an eraser on their head. Their partner is trying to tag them before they get to the corner. The teacher can call out “Switch” to change who is chasing who at any point during the game. Whoever gets to their corner first without the eraser falling get a point for their team.
dtalbott is offline   Reply With Quote

Little Flower

Guess My Number
Old 11-01-2008, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We play a game where someone whispers to me a 2 digit number and then the students have to sit quietly and raise their hand to be called on to ask questions about the number. They can only be yes/no questions. "Is it odd?", Is it higher than 50?", "Is the number found when you count by 5's?"...etc. Winner that guesses the number is the next one to choose the number. My second grade loves it. We play it alot at the end of the day if we have 5-10 minutes to fill.
Little Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

JKB

Thank you!
Old 11-03-2008, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you for the wonderful suggestions! It will be great to do something "different"!

JKB
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote

the enforcer

Four Corners
Old 11-03-2008, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

is not a game that I have ever seen played. How does someone actually win? How do you exactly play?
the enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
DSC

DSC

people ticv tac toe
Old 01-09-2009, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

another easy quiet game that is trickier than it sounds
Make a large tic tac toe board on the ground using masking tape.
Easiest thing is divide boys and girls two teams- which ever way they won't confuse teams.. then take turns asking the student to go stand in a square.
NO talking or warning.. you would be so surprised how they miss the options

yesteach

card games
Old 01-09-2009, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have several cards games that my students play in class. They're not totally silent but their quiet...

Apples to Apples - I bought the big box, and we just divide the cards up between tables. If you get the all ages one be sure to sort through and remove the more adult themed cards (anything related to relationships, alcohol, etc.). If you get the junior version you should be safe.

I also have Uno, SET, Phase 10, Blink, Quiddler, XActika, Five Crowns, and just plain old playing cards. I also have two sets of dominoes.

I also have some FraCards that I purchase years ago. They have different fractions on each card. There are several games that can be played: War (largest fraction wins), Make 1 (sort of like Go Fish, but you need the other part of the fraction to create a whole, exp: you have 3/5 you need to "fish" for a 2/5 to Make 1). You can purchase the FraCards from Kaidy Educational Resources.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote