Help

ARCHIVE

Math Projects

>

nlove101

Math Projects
Old 07-13-2006, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach 4th grade 4 classes this next year. I want to do a project with my classes each semester. Does anyone have some good projects they have tried in their own class? The only one I have done before is a geometry project where the students have to build their own birdhouse and incorporate 6 geometric shapes in the building process. Thanks for any ideas you have.

nlove101 is offline   Reply With Quote

momallen

What all do you teach?
Old 07-14-2006, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The birdhouses sound like fun!!!

Can you tell us some of the things that you teach?
Thanks
momallen is offline   Reply With Quote

camp823

projects
Old 07-18-2006, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have done the million dollar project (they have to spend $1 million on things in catalogs, newspapers etc.)- helps with subtraction and decimals (if you don't round the numbers).

Cafeteria Surveys (they come up with 5 questions to ask 50 people about what food, decorations, schedules they would like to see in the cafeteria. They graph their results.

Geometry project (they find 20 geometric figures in the "real world" from either magazines, newspapers, or they can take photographs. They have to put them on a poster. The objects cannot be drawn and have to be real object.

Newspaper Scavenger hunt (the kids find items like decimals, fractions, percents, ordinal numbers etc. in the newspaper, cut them out and make an original design of all of their findings.) I have had kids make a poster, but some are more creative and have put them on a t-shirt, a clock, and a mobile.

Carreer Project- the students interview someone who does math in their job. they have to have an example of a math problem they use in their job. (they don't necessarily have to understand the math problem, just understand how they use it.) They have to write a paragraph explaining how math is used, and have a picture of that person at their job.

Hope this helps.
camp823 is offline   Reply With Quote

a_chan

Zoo Map
Old 07-21-2006, 06:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I teach 3rd grade acceleration (3rd & 4th grade math together) and I do a zoo map for area and perimeter. They have to create buildings for different animals using rectangles (but they can add multiple rectangles together to make odd shaped buildings and then have to determine perimeter (pretty easy) and area by finding the area of each rectangle and then adding them together.
a_chan is offline   Reply With Quote