2nd grade Book Club - ProTeacher Community

mnwillie27

2nd grade Book Club
Old 11-02-2008, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello all! I am new to second grade this year (previously taught 4th grade). I am looking into starting a Book Club for my advanced 2nd grade readers. Does anybody have suggestions as to good chapter books to use for a Book Club? I know a lot about 4th grade literature, but still getting acclimated to the 2nd grade literature. Or how about any advice on running/managing the Book Club? Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

mnwillie27 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach32

Book club ideas
Old 11-02-2008, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It's my first year in second too. Depending on how advanced what about Magic Tree House? I have an advanced group that we're pulling from across classes and we're reading Owls in The Family. I'm introducing literacy circle jobs one at a time so that they are all doing every job. Once they learn them, I will run it the way I did when I taught 3rd and 4th grade.
teach32 is offline   Reply With Quote

jillymar

Teach 32
Old 11-02-2008, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What are your literacy circles jobs?
jillymar is offline   Reply With Quote

alicej

readers
Old 11-02-2008, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

advanced readers could begin to read chapter books like Judy Moody, Julian Series by Ann Cameron, Zack Files by Dan Greenburg. My kids love these series and more.
alicej is offline   Reply With Quote

teach32

jobs
Old 11-02-2008, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Artful Artist: Draws a picture from the section read. Can be favorite part, interesting part, funny part, etc. Also makes a connection---at bottom of picture it says: This section made me think

Discussion Director: Writes questions to discuss the section read. It comes with ideas for questions so they are not literal. Why do you think-----?
How do you think-----?

Word finder: Finds vocabulary words that are new, interesting, funny. Makes a prediction as to the meaning, finds the meaning and discusses the word when they meet.

Passage picker: Chooses a passage from the text to read to group and discuss. Again, they thought it was interesting, funny, confusing, etc.

There may be more--I'll check I'm home and trying to remember.

As I said, I think second graders will find this difficult. I'm using with an advanced group. We took the top from all of the 2nd grades and made a cross class group.

teach32 is offline   Reply With Quote

ShirleyHolmes

Chalk Box Kid
Old 11-02-2008, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am working with the on level 2nd graders and I just ordered $1 copies of this book from Scholastic. I will be using at as a literature focus unit.
ShirleyHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote

custer78

My high ones are reading...
Old 11-03-2008, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Ramona Quimby, Age 8. They really like it. We do rotations so they onlyl read independently about 20 min. a day. I have a discussion cube in the box that they use 2x a week. I choose 1 leader, and they roll and ask the questions. It's funny listening to them while I'm working with a small group nearby. I think they'd do fine without the discussion cube. Half the time they don't use it and have better conversations then when they use it.
custer78 is offline   Reply With Quote