How do you celebrate students birthdays? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

ARCHIVE

How do you celebrate students birthdays?

>

apple324

How do you celebrate students birthdays?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am looking for creative ideas to celebrate student birthdays.

What do you do?

Thanks

apple324 is offline   Reply With Quote

TootSweet

Old 07-14-2006, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I give a bday baggie with an eraser, a pencil, a small toy and a sucker. I usually present this at the beginning of the day and we all sing happy birthday at that time. I like to recognize their special day right of the bat. If the child brings a treat, we have it near the end of the day.
TootSweet is offline   Reply With Quote

DonnaTX1

Birthdays
Old 07-14-2006, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also give them a birthday baggie that contains a birthday pencil, Coupons for No Homework, birthday bookmark, and eraser. I have the kids sign a birthday card for the birthday girl/boy and a white cap that they also sign in colorful markers. I also put a Birthday chair cover that I bought from Oriental Trading. It's really cute and the kids love it! ~Donna
DonnaTX1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Cathy-Dee

birthday book
Old 07-14-2006, 09:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We create a birthday book for each student in our class.

I have cover page that say's Jenna's Birthday Book by the Grade 3 class of 2005/2006 (for example)

Then each student fills out a sheet.

Happy Birthday _________________

My wish for you on your birthday is _____________

If I could give you any present in the world I would give you ________

What I like best about you is ____________________

Hope you have a wonderful birthday!

From ________________

Then each student decorates the page as they choose and if they have time they can even draw a picture on the back.

We put the book together with our coil binding machine and it looks every impressive.

I also give each student a birthday postcard, a pencil and a trip to the "prize" box.

I have the cover page and form on my computer at home - if you'd like to see it or use it or modify it, just send me an email and I'd be happy to email it to you. It's done on word. I won't be home until late August so I'd send it then.
Cathy-Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

Steph

decorate
Old 07-15-2006, 02:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi! I decorate the student's desk for birthdays. I put balloons and few pieces of confetti, a pencil, and a card. I used to wrap their chairs with streamers, but I have chair pockets now. This year I'm going to add a Birthday Beenie Bear that they can have for the day. Treats are usually handed out at lunch...school policy.

I liked the birthday book idea posted above. Do you do half birthdays for the summer ones? I might look into that this year.

Steph

Steph is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Birthday bags
Old 07-15-2006, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I give baggies w/ a birthday pencil, no homework coupon, bookmark, smelly sticker, birthday badge sticker. I used to include a sucker, but we now have a no candy policy, so I think I will give plastic dimes--my reward system uses plastic dimes saved up for going "shopping" in my class store.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 07-15-2006, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love the idea of decorating their desk! I've seen the birthday book before but didn't really think to go ahead and do it in my own room.

I think I'll be doing both!
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Cathy-Dee

Summer Birthdays
Old 07-15-2006, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This past year we celebrated all the summer birthdays during our last week of school. I had 4 summer birthdays so during quieter weeks in May and June we did a student's book until they were all done. Then we celebrated together.

I have done the half birthdays as well, but I think my students enjoyed doing their "special" day in June as they knew their birthdays were coming soon and so the book, etc., meant more to them.
Cathy-Dee is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

Birthdays
Old 07-15-2006, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have a Happy Birthday banner across the top of the door - they love seeing that first thing in the morning. I have a goody bag on their desk - with a homework pass, candy, eraser, birthday pencil, and small toy from treasure chest (like glider plane). If they bring a snack, we do that in the afternoon (school policy) and sing Happy Birthday (we still sing it then, even without a snack).

I'm also doing something new this year, similiar to the booklet idea. It's just one sheet of paper that I'll pass around the room. The kids will write one or two words that describes the birthday child. I may let them take it home, or put it in their scrapbook (can't decide!). I'm also trying to decide if I want to do all the sheets at one time (1 for each child's birthday) - and just save them for the birthdays - or do it on the actual birthday. Any thoughts?
Attached Files
File Type: doc Birthday.doc (28.0 KB, 210 views)
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

When we sing "Happy Birthday"...
Old 07-19-2006, 10:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Along with some of the things already mentioned, last year we started doing the following:

The celebrant gets to select the kind of cheer they want. (I teach Dr. Jean's Cheers from Day 1. They are located at
http://www.drjean.org/html/monthly_a..._2004_pdf.html)

When we sing "Happy Birthday" I have the birthday person choose to 'light up' their age in candles. If they are celebrating, for example, a 9th birthday, they choose 9 friends who get to stand up on their chairs as the entire class sings Happy Birthday. After the song is sung, the birthday person gets to 'blow out' the candles by walking around the room, getting a 'high five' from each 'candle' as they sit back down in their chairs.

Nothing fancy, really, but the kids LOVE getting the chance to stand up on their chairs as this is something I never allow at any other time.

Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

Gardenut

Birthday idea
Old 07-20-2006, 03:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I too make up a little baggie and have it on their desk waiting. I have birthday crowns and Today is my birthday stickers they wear.

I print out colored Happy Birthday signs at the beginning of the year...(just a Happy Birthday in WordArt) and attach to construction paper. The morning of the birthday I pass it around quickly for each child to sign--it is fun as we try to all sign secretly! After all sign...I laminate and send home with the child that day!
Gardenut is offline   Reply With Quote

jhawkteacher

copy
Old 03-04-2008, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Would it be possible for you to email your cover page and form to me at lsdiskin@hotmail.com? I would love to use it in my classroom!
Thanks so much!!
jhawkteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

jhawkteacher

copy
Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I would love to have a copy of your cover page and form. Could you email it to me at lsdiskin@hotmail.com? Thanks!!
jhawkteacher is offline   Reply With Quote