Help

ARCHIVE

Elf on a Shelf

>

Gamecock 78

Elf on a Shelf
Old 11-08-2008, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to do something different and fun in my classroom this year for the holidays. Has anyone done Elf on a Shelf with their calss? What were some of the things your elf did?

Gamecock 78 is offline   Reply With Quote

4thGradeNV

Old 11-08-2008, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What is elf on a shelf? It sounds interesting. Something like flat stanley?
4thGradeNV is offline   Reply With Quote

Gamecock 78

Old 11-08-2008, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

It is a cleverly rhymed children's book that explains that Santa knows who is naughty and/or nice because he sends a scout elf to every home. During the holiday season, the elf watches children by day and reports to Santa each night. When children awake, the elf has returned from the North Pole and can be found hiding in a different location. This activity allows The Elf on the Shelf to become a delightful hide-and-seek game. An elf comes with the book for you to hide. Carol Aebersold is the athor and on http://organizedchristmas.com/ you can find a cute letter. I thought it would be fun to change it around and use it in the classroom. She is actually going to be in my area this week to autograph the book.
Gamecock 78 is offline   Reply With Quote

n2n2n2n

Old 11-08-2008, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Do you have an ISBN number for the book? I tried to find it on Chapters and couldn't. Sounds like a cute book.
n2n2n2n is offline   Reply With Quote

annieburto

Elf
Old 11-09-2008, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My kind. teaching partner did this book with her class last year. Her kids loved it so much I borrowed her book and did it with mine too. When you purchase the book set it comes with a tiny little elf that you can hide in various parts of the classroom such as up on a shelf, etc. Her kids really got into it and looked to find where their elf had hidden during the night. I tried to find an elf to buy, but the one I found was too big and didn't have the same effect. We all named the elf together, and made elves as a class, wrote our names with glitter on the hats and "elfabetized" the names.

annieburto is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 11-09-2008, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I saw the Elf on the Shelf kit at Barnes and Noble. I think it is about $30. I have an elf from my childhood that I am going to use along with the letter from the link above. The Elf on the Shelf website is really cute and interactive. I just googled to find it.
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Sunny Reader

Old 11-10-2008, 08:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My school media center uses the shelf elf to encourage excellent behavior when searching and checking out books. THe elf hides behind books and "watches" all students/classes when they come each week. Every 2wks a class from each grade receives the "shelf elf" award for best behavior that week. The book is displayed in the media at all times.
Only 2 students have found the shelf elf when looking for a book to check out. Those students receive a special prize and are acknowledged on the school morning news.
This would be a great idea to use during December in the classroom!
Sunny Reader is offline   Reply With Quote

noapplemugs!

Have it at my house
Old 11-10-2008, 09:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I have never used it in class, however I do have this book at home. IT IS WONDERFUL!!!!! My children named their elf a few years ago. Each year they await his arrival the day after Thanksgiving. Each morning the kids look for him because he has 'moved' somewhere new in the house.

If you have young children, it is a fun holiday tradition. I never thought of using it in the classroom. Maybe I will try it this year!
noapplemugs! is offline   Reply With Quote
mphillip

mphillip

Elf on a Shelf
Old 12-02-2008, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I love the idea of using it in the classroom. Any ideas about how to handle having other religions in the classroom? Jewish students?
chalyt

chalyt

class elf
Old 12-15-2008, 04:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

the elf is really bad in a classroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!

GeorgiaYankee

ISBN Elf on the Shelf
Old 12-15-2008, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Their are 2 numbers ISBN-13 :978-0-9769907-0-3

ISBN-10:0-9769907-0-9

You can also find them in nice gift stores. I paid $35.00 for mine. I bought it for my granddaughter. This is the second year we used it in our school.
GeorgiaYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Kayley

Kayley

Elf on the Shelf
Old 12-20-2008, 08:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

i have an elf on the shelf and his name is jingles. this is my first year having one but i am only 10. the elf on the shelf can make big messes so i don't think i would be good in class rooms. yesterday is when i got mine. this morning when i got up it was in the kitchen hanging on the haddle to the cabent. later tonight he was don stairs and he had got our family breckable snow man and put it into a box and got all of our christmas dolls and hid them all over the living room and he was inside a lamp. i really don't think they would be good in a class room but at home it is really fun!