Help

ARCHIVE

Cute idea

>

tweet

Cute idea
Old 07-15-2006, 06:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was working at the school yesterday when one of my teammates came in w/ a really cute idea that I thought some of you might like. Actually, some of you may do this. She took an idea of mine that I got somewhere and went from there.

I have a flowerpot of pencils that we call "magic pencils". I tell the kids that when using one, it helps creative story ideas come out on paper. I buy cheap, $1 flower bushes from the dollar store, pull the blooms off, enlarge the hole in the middle of the petals just slightly, then slide a pencil through the hole. The eraser becomes the flower center. I am the only one who is allowed to sharpen magic pencils. Last year's pencils are still usable!

My friend took that idea, bought some huge sunflowers, used floral tape to attach each blossom to a pencil-covering up the eraser. She then put the dozen or so flower pencils in a flowerpot along with some small "filler" flowers to make a really cute arrangement. The sunflower pencils are now her "borrow" pencils. She had a problem with some kids never having a pencil period, then when loaned one, never returning it. She can see at a glance who borrows one of these!! lol. Plus they won't be very appealing to keep because of the lack of eraser.

tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

pamnpr

Tweet
Old 07-15-2006, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Great Idea! I can tell just by what you've said that the students will love using the "Magic Pencils" I'll be using this in my classroom this year! Thanks so much! "SMILE"
pamnpr is offline   Reply With Quote

K-Jeanne

garden theme
Old 07-15-2006, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How cool! I'm using a garden theme in my classroom. This is a clever way to use pencils! Thanks for sharing. Jeanne
K-Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

"smart pencils"
Old 07-15-2006, 08:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

One year I had a group of young math students (Title I) who had no confidence in their abilities. The morning before they were to take a test, I did review with them, then gave each one a brand new pencil. I told each of them that I thought these were smart pencils and if they used this pencil and tried their very best, took their time and read carefully I was confident they would pass the test. They all came back the next day and sure enough, each one had done better than they had expected. I think most got either B or C. They were thrilled and the next time they took a test they asked if I had any more smart pencils . This was a novel idea and only worked once or twice but it gave them some much needed confidence.
Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote
emme

emme

pencils
Old 07-15-2006, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use the attached flowers idea beside the phone in the staff room, so the pencils and pens don't wander off. The secretary has them beside her desk too, for the same reason. She changes her flowers seasonally - she has sunflowers, poinsettias, tulips, easter eggs and daisies. They stick into a ceramic flower pot filled with dry beans - looks cute too. I never thought of using them in the classroom, but if you have a problem with lending pencils disappearing they'd be great!

tweet

another idea
Old 07-15-2006, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We do a similar activity for Mother's Day, making the flowers from coffee filters and watercolor markers, but this year the 1st grade teachers used the silk flowers and attached them to pens for a Mother's Day gift.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

ILuvKaliNJay

Wonderful
Old 07-15-2006, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

That is a cute idea! Looks like I'll be heading to the $ store AGAIN tomorrow to check out their flowers and see what magic I can come up with! I love teaching writing in my class and I know this will help motivate/excite my new kiddies about it as well!
ILuvKaliNJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Nik

Flower pencils
Old 07-18-2006, 01:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love this idea! My cousin was making pens like that for her secretaries at school, but I never thought about doing that with pencils. My pencils get permanently borrowed all the time. And since most of the borrowers are 6th grade boys, I am thinking this might keep them from taking them on to their next class! he he I love it! I love daisies, so I am thinking I need to find some bright colored Gerber daisies to attach to my pencils. I also have terrible allergies. What a great way to have a great floral arrangement on my desk too! Thank you so much!
Nik is offline   Reply With Quote