Help

ARCHIVE

Behavior Management Points System

>

Kar

Behavior Management Points System
Old 07-15-2006, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I already posted this message in the special ed. forum, but didn't get much of a response, and I've discovered there is a lot more "traffic" in here. I am the junior high special ed. teacher at a small rural school. As a result, my classroom has always been both resource and instructional. That means some of my kids are with me for only one class period, while others are with me most of the day. Furthermore, I'm responsible for students with a wide variety of disabilities. I'm wondering if any of you use a points system or some other data collection system that works for you. I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Karen

Kar is offline   Reply With Quote

mellen

I use a money system
Old 07-15-2006, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but I use a money system for classroom management. I have bills in the following denominations: 1's, 5's, 10's, 20's, 50's, and 100's. Each morning the students sharpen two pencils and turn in their homework they receive $2. They also receive dollars for returning important papers (fundraisers, emergency cards, etc.) throughout the year. Students often earn dollars for following procedures and participating fully in lessons. Once they save $20, they are allowed to "shop". I have inexpensive school supplies, kids meal toys, candy, homework passes, etc. in a tote that they may choose from. Students lose dollars when they behave inappropriately. It also costs $1 to use the restroom during class, or to sharpen a pencil during class. If students wish to save enough for a $100 bill, they may keep the bill and take it home with them. The rest of their money is returned to me at the end of the year after all students have done their shopping. I teach third grade.
mellen is offline   Reply With Quote

bamateach

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have also used the money system in my classroom. I love it! I reward good behavior with a bonus buck. They can shop about once a month. Most of my rewards are freebies that the kids love such as shoes off in class. I like the idea of saving for a $100 bill. I will use that one next year.

I have also in the past used links system. I am not sure about the severity of disabillities, but this may be easier for them to understand and a more rapid response time. When you witness good behaviors students earn a link. You can purchase links from teacher supply stores. When a student has earned 10 links they can turn them in for a prize. ISince you only have some for 30 min A DAY you could cut it down to 5 links and give them the opportunity to earn a link each day for good behavior.
bamateach is offline   Reply With Quote

louise

Old 07-16-2006, 01:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It always seemed to me that the points/prize system was a tremendous amount of extra work. In addition, isn't it difficult to truly stay consistent? Have you read Marvin Marshall's book - Discipline without Stress, Punishments or Rewards, or anything by Alfie Kohn? Enter their names into the Archives and read what others have said about their philosophies.
louise is offline   Reply With Quote