Help

ARCHIVE

book buddy/class mascot

>

ilove1st

book buddy/class mascot
Old 07-15-2006, 03:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Do any of you have a class mascot (small stuffed animal) that you send home with each student and have them complete a writing activity with it? If so, what are your ideas? I'd like to see the instruction sheet that you send. thanks!

ilove1st is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. R :)

Buddy Bear
Old 07-16-2006, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have a Brown Bear that I send home. I can't attach yet, but if you'd like to send me your email I can send you my sheet. I bought a very inexpensive canvas bag that I use to send him home along with a few books that have bears as the main character and a Journal(a 3-ring binder with photocopies lined pages) for the student to write/draw in about their visit. I would also like to take a digital picture of each child holding the bear to glue into the Journal this year. I have a Star Student of the Week and that is the student that gets to take the Bear home from Friday to Monday. Then on Monday Mornings they share their Journal entry. It is cute and a fun thing to do. I have changed my theme to Mrs. R's Shooting Stars and am thinking about changing my mascot, but am unsure what would go with my new theme....
Mrs. R :) is offline   Reply With Quote

ily

Old 07-16-2006, 03:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a stuffed tiger that goes with a cute book called Stripe. He goes home in one of those handmade shoe bags. I send him home with each child for a night three- four times throughout the year. The first time I include a disposible camera and they take a picture of them with Stripe, and the next day we do a shared writing about something they did together. The second time I put an alpahbet letter in the bag with him and they find three things to put in the bag that starts with that letter and bring them, the next we sit in circle and the child shows and tells the three things and the children guess the letter. The third time they take him home they put something in the bag that is not a toy, the next day the children ask questions to try to guess what it is, this is great for working on open ended questions. The last time he goes home with a journal, but this time the children are pretty good writers so they write about something they did together. The children stay excited about him all year because they get several turns not just one to take him home. The children I tuaght three years ago still ask about him and when I teach siblings they remember him.
ily is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Mrs. R and ily...
Old 07-16-2006, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Mrs. R.... what about a starfish stuffed animal? Not quite a shooting star but it's on that star theme??

Ily: I love your ideas. What grade do you teach? Also, I don't quite understand what type of bag you're talking about. Is it like a tote bag... as in a teacher tote bag?

Anyone: Do you find that your mascot gets "lost" or "forgotten" often? How does it affect your students? How do you handle such a situation? Do you send a letter home with your students so that the parents will know what to do? I'd love to try this but I want to try and figure it out.
vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

akieffner

request
Old 07-16-2006, 06:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hi Mrs. R.,
I would like a copy of the sheet you send home.
My e-mail is allikieffner@yahoo.com
Thanks!
Allison

akieffner is offline   Reply With Quote

parrkp

sheet request
Old 07-17-2006, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Hi Mrs. R.....I am a first year teacher, getting ready to teach 1st grade and would love to geta copy of your mascot sheet! This was such a cute idea. Here is my email address:
karlaparr@bellsouth.net
Thank-you again!!!!
Karla
parrkp is offline   Reply With Quote

ily

Old 07-17-2006, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I teach Kindergarten. The bag is just a drawstring bag used to carry shoes in, I had a parent make me some one year in bright colours.

I don't send him home on weekends, I tell my children that Stripe takes his bath, in the washer. I also tell them that sometimes they may have to wait an extra day to get him because he needs a bath (ie, he goes home to a smoking house), because it is only a night and they get 4 turns I have never had a problem, alhtough once a child forgot him right before the weekend, his mom washed him for me, saying that he was so upset that Stripe would miss his bath.

Stripe has gone to restaurants, hockey games and one year the parents of the child who had him the night of our Christmas concert brought him to the concert!
ily is offline   Reply With Quote

A Starfish!
Old 07-17-2006, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Cute idea! I will keep a lookout for one!!! Thanks...

heggyrik

Old 07-18-2006, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Mrs. R....I would also love to have a copy of the sheet you send home : ) My email is heggyrik@msu.edu ....Thank you!
heggyrik is offline   Reply With Quote

katz2006

Old 07-18-2006, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Mrs. R,
That sounds like a great idea. I would also like a copy of the note home. My email is kimsapp@cox-internet.com

Would any stuffed animal work?

Thanks a bunch!

katz2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

Hooray!
Old 07-19-2006, 03:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I can now attach attachments!!! I hope you enjoy them.

I use the Fuzzy one just for the cover of my Journal. The Journal is a 3-ring binder with one of those covers into which you can slide paper.

The Intro letter is to be put into the bag and is just a general info letter.

The Fuzzy Jounal letter is the first official page in the journal. I add lines at the bottom and the children "sign in" when they take him home.

Let me know if you have any questions!! Happy Mascots!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Fuzzy.doc (38.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: doc Fuzzy Intro Letter.doc (30.0 KB, 102 views)
File Type: doc Fuzzy Journal Letter.doc (42.0 KB, 94 views)

Any stuffed animal
Old 07-19-2006, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

would work for sure. I used to base my mascot on the theme of my classroom (water them=dolphin or whale, changes theme=caterpillar&butterfly) but now I just stick to one animal for the entire year. My daughter's preschool did a cute manatee (Molly the Manatee), but then they put the manatee (stuffed animal) up as a Silent Auction item at the end of the year. It was a very popular item to be sure! She also came with books and the travel bag and a special keepsake journal. You could get very creative with how you use your Mascot!! Have fun!