ARCHIVE

Grading Student Agendas

>

Jenny in GA

Jenny in GA

Grading Student Agendas
Old 07-16-2006, 02:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I teach study skills for 4th and 5th graders at my school. One way I will be assessing their progress is how well students use their planner/agenda. I will do this three times a quarter. I have looked on-line to see if I could find a rubric for grading planners/agendas. I haven't been able to find a rubric on this topic. Does anyone else do this in their school? Any ideas? Thanks,

Jenny in GA

MicheleS

agenda rubric
Old 07-16-2006, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You might try using a rubric generator like www.rubrics4teachers.com and developing one of your own.
MicheleS is offline   Reply With Quote

teachva

Grading Agendas
Old 07-16-2006, 02:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

A former student of mine gave me an idea I am going to try this year. She said one of her MS teachers gives agenda quizes. They have to copy all of the homework exactly. His quizzes would include what was the home work for a certain date, and would also include what was the last word on a certain dates assignment. My student said the it really forced her to stay on top of keeping her agenda organized.
teachva is offline   Reply With Quote

Gloria

I love the idea
Old 07-16-2006, 10:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

of giving a quiz on their assignment notebooks. This would keep them on top of their work and would be much less work for you to do. I would do it 2 x a quarter. One for progress reports and 1 for report cards.

It is too much work to read that many planners in a short period of time so that they have it back for that nights work. Give the quizzes and then you have all the answers and you will know if they are writing down the info or not.

examples:

On what day was the XXX project assigned
The Ch. 3 Math test was on what day?
What were you to bring to school on September 26?
What page w/s was due on September 8?

These are just a few ideas.I would come up with about 25 questions. That is a fair amount.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Jenny in GA

Jenny in GA

Grading Agendas
Old 07-17-2006, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks for the ideas. I love the idea of a quiz. That would save a lot of time, instead of checking all the student agendas like I did last year. I have a total of 130 students between 4th and 5th, so the quiz would solve the problem of time, and it does force students to be more consistent about writing down all of their homework. Thanks again for the idea, I will be using that this year!

TeacherCarrie

Old 07-17-2006, 07:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I love that you posted this idea! I didn't even think of grading them. I had so many students rush through filling theirs out last year (even when I told them to slow down). This would be a perfect way to stop that behavior!

I'm thinking of definitely doing a quiz. Probably one a quarter, right before I fill out report cards. I'm not sure where on the report card I'll post the grade for it, but there is extra room under each subject and under the behavior type grades. I'll figure out exactly where to put it.
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

sunnyteach03

Awesome idea
Old 07-17-2006, 07:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I love the quiz idea as well!! Last year I gave them 1 pt a day as a Soc. Studies grade, but this was time consuming to keep track of. I do think I'll give quizes once a week to begin with though, otherwise I don't think they'll keep on top of it. I'll gradually spread the quizes out though.
sunnyteach03 is offline   Reply With Quote

TEACHERLVNV

I love the quiz idea.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love the quiz idea. I also saw a thing on one of these boards about a syllabus I gotta try that too.
Carrie Study skills is a part of language arts. I plan on using this and the moose (JAGUAR) binder as study skill grades.
TEACHERLVNV is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 07-18-2006, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

You've talked me into it...I'll put it under the language arts section.
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Jenny in GA

Jenny in GA

Syllabus
Old 07-18-2006, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

What did you see about a syllabus? I would be interested in this as well.

Thanks!

bzetchr

agenda quizzes
Old 07-21-2006, 07:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I never thought of that! What a great idea - I'm using it especially at the beginning of the year ... I'm thinking maybe "pop" style - unannounced, about every week to 10 days at first, than maybe tapering off to every few weeks / month, once the behavior of writing down assignments is established. I'm passing this one on ...

Another idea - posted somewhere about grading interactive notebooks - coud be used on agendas too ... get a stamp (someone on that thread suggested a thumbs up); do a spot check and stamp the page or day. The thumb can be turned up for all there, sideways for missing pieces, and down if not done as expected. At the end of the month count the number of ups, sideways, down ... figure out a "grade" ahead of time for # of ups, downs ...
bzetchr is offline   Reply With Quote

JRichard

Old 07-21-2006, 11:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Here is one thing my team does to grade planners:

We assign a student helper who stamps planners every day. We teach them to wait until the student has written the whole thing, not to stamp blank spots, and to make sure they write the CORRECT assignment. We have different stamps for each teacher. I have an "R" and a star.

We give one planner grade each nine weeks. At the end of the nine weeks, we tell them to start at pg X and go to pg Y, counting the number of stamps. We already know they are supposed to have Z number of stamps (it's usually around 20). They tell us out loud how many stamps they have and I use an EZ Grader to calculate the grade. We never give below a 70 unless they have less than 10 stamps.

If I suspect someone is fibbing, I like to pull the, "Now switch with your partner. Partner, count their stamps." to see if anyone was making it up. Sometimes I will spot check throughout the nine weeks as well.

Jenny
JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote