Help

ARCHIVE

Christmas Gifts for Parents

>

Tylana

Christmas Gifts for Parents
Old 11-21-2008, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know this has been posted in the past. But, I want something very special for gifts for parents this year. So, I am asking you to share the project that you have chosen to do this year. Last year we made snowman jar lamps but we have a few retained students and I really want to do something different this time. Please help! Thanks!

Tylana is offline   Reply With Quote

missd

parent gifts
Old 11-21-2008, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Last year I bought unfinished wooden sleighs at the local craft store. I had my students paint them and then we filled them with Hershey Hugs and Kisses. We attached a card saying "Santa's sleigh is full of hugs and kisses for you this year." (I actually think I may have gotten the idea from PT.) It went over very well and I plan to do it again this year. Before sending them home I wrapped them with cellophane and tied ribbon around the top. It made them look even better than they already did.
missd is offline   Reply With Quote

whtdaisies

missd
Old 11-21-2008, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That's a really cute idea! But, how much did you have to spend and how long did it take to finish the sleighs?

Thanks!
whtdaisies is offline   Reply With Quote

connorsmom020

Poems
Old 11-21-2008, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have teacher who has taught 3rd grade forever. She always has the kids write an acrostic poem using their name and asks the parents to send in a document frame. The kids type the poems and print them on pretty paper. Last year, I added a picture of the kiddo to it.

I was going to break tradition and not do it this year. However, a student told me her mom has a spot next to her brother's that he did 4 years ago so she can hang up this child's. SO I'm doing it again.
connorsmom020 is offline   Reply With Quote

paco61

Old 11-22-2008, 12:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This year I am going to do what I did a few years back. I had the students paint a beautiful Christmas or Winter scene, autograph it, and we framed it. I found 8 x 10 frames at the dollar store and sprayed glitter around the edges. We loved them!

paco61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kat's Mom

snowman candy jars
Old 11-22-2008, 07:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I collect the #3 size baby food jars. I buy white styrofoam balls from Walmart. We make snowman faces w/ permanent markers. On the snowman's head, we use baby and toddler socks ( I ask for old ones from the class) to stretch over the ball, cut off the toe, and tie with a scrap of ribbon to make a cute ski hat. We hot glue the heads to the baby food jar lids and then glue a felt scarf around the area between the head and jar lid. I ask the parents to send in bags of shiny wrapped holiday candy, and we fill the jars with that candy. They are quite cute.
Kat's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndcareer

ornaments
Old 11-22-2008, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have made snowflake ornaments for the past few years and they are simple and pretty.

Using sparkly pipecleaners (cut in half) we attach and bend them to create a snowflake pattern. On each individual branch of the flake, we hot-glue 3 beads. In the center of the snowflake, we hot glue a small picture of the child. Use gold elastic thread for the "hanger." Voila! Done!
2ndcareer is offline   Reply With Quote

theteach123

I loved this!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I bought glass ornaments and had the kids use acryllic paints to decorate the inside. They got to choose three colors and I squirted each color going to each side of the ornament. After all 3 colors have squirted in the glass ornament, I then turned the ornament over to let the paint drain out. When it was done, the ornaments looked amazing. We wrapped it up. I got rave reviews on this project. I bought my ornaments a few weeks ago and we are getting ready to do this again
theteach123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tea"cheer"

Ornaments
Old 11-22-2008, 08:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I've always wanted to do either the hand snowmen or swirly painted ornaments, but worry about how they will make it home without students in tears because theirs gets broken on the bus or walk home. How have you all prevented that? I teach first graders and I am just not sure they could handle the transporting of a breakable item!
Tea"cheer" is offline   Reply With Quote

theteach123

This has worked!
Old 11-22-2008, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I make a few extras just in case of the "drop" factor. I had one student drop theirs and it broke. I had extra so their were no tears or worries. I also wrap them in bubble wrap to help prevent any from breaking.
theteach123 is offline   Reply With Quote

play4heat

calendars
Old 11-22-2008, 08:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I always make calendars. It is great because if students don't celebrate Xmas or any holiday it is still terrific. I send a note home asking for special dates(b'days, anniv. etc.) of family members.
Then we do a month by month calendar. We decorate eah month and add dates of special holidays and thier special dates. When all 12 are done we get a larger piece of poster board and mound them all with brads. They decorate the bottom of the poster board. I put a hole at the top and some string or yarn for hanging purposes. It's terrific, homemade, personal, and it teaches them all about calendars which they need. i've been doing it for years. Oops I also put their picture on the bottom of the poster board.
play4heat is offline   Reply With Quote

peaceteacher

Christmas Gifts
Old 11-24-2008, 07:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

This year I decided to order canvases from Blick Art 9 x 12. We are doing a unit on peace. Then learning about Picasso. The kids are going to write peace poetry (for their cards) and paint their picasso replicas on canvas. They are simple beautiful pictures such as Picasso's Peace Doves, and Petit Fleurs. Hopefully they will turn out and the parents will really enjoy their hard work!
peaceteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tylana

Thanks so much!!!!
Old 11-25-2008, 06:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Wow! I always knew we had creative people on PT but these are great! I don't know how I will decide but I sure do appreciate all the ideas.
Tylana is offline   Reply With Quote