ARCHIVE

Word Wall...help, please!

>

iteach4th

Word Wall...help, please!
Old 07-16-2006, 05:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all!

I really need your expert advice! I want a truly workable WORD WALL in my 4th grade classroom this year, but I'm not quite sure how to do it!

I think I'd rather have a "high frequency list" that students can use in their writing, but maybe add some content words also.(science/socialstudies/math).

Can anyone explain to me how you use your Word Wall in 4th grade? I have visions of using it in a weekly center, but I'm not sure how to get started. Thanks for any input you can offer! I appreciate your help!

How do you use your WORD WALLS?

iteach4th is offline   Reply With Quote

Lori2006

For everything
Old 07-16-2006, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I really never received direct instruction of what the proper ways of using word walls was...so I made up my own rules. I use it for every subject. I use index cards, and glue them on different color construction paper (one color per subject). I use them mostly as a reference board - for example, for Math words, I write the word, write a description (provided by the students) and draw a picture. When the wall gets "crowded" I will take the words from the beginning of the year and "quiz" the students orally as to their meaning and if we are all in agreement that they no longer need the word up on the wall, it comes down and gets put in a box. The rule is, as long as one person still needs it for reference, it stays up. Anyone can visit the "retired box" throughout the rest of the year.
As for "high frequency list" for their writing, I make posters on chart tablet paper with student suggestions. Like "color words," "scent words," etc.

Don't know if this is what you had in mind...but thanks - it really got me thinking about how I am going to use my word wall this year too.
Lori2006 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

writing
Old 07-17-2006, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Since our kids take the 4th grade state writing test, that was our main focus last year. I had a word wall with "wow" words on it. We talked about how to use those words instead of over-used words. It was mainly similes - words like "SAID - announced, proclaimed, shouted, cried"). When they got to the editing part of their writing, they'd use the word wall to change some words. Eventually they learned to use the words without needing the word wall as a reference as often.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

lov2teach2

Word Walls
Old 07-18-2006, 08:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I don't really use a word wall in 4th grade. Do some of you find it helpful. When I was in first it was a must. My room is so small that, that is one thing I don't have room for. I print my vocabulary for the weekly story onto one sheet of colored paper in sections that look like a card and they cut them out and they're are vocab. cards. When they are done with their assignment, they get with a partner and do what we call SAFMEDS. Basically what they do is flash a word at their partner their partner has to tell the definition that is on the back of it.
They can keep their cards on a ring or after a theme is done, which is about 4-5 weeks they take their cards home. On Wed. we play a game with two teams against each other. I find they really get to know their vocab. words. You can do this with any subject. Sorry if this was not what you wanted. But hope it helps for those that are stuck with the word walls.
lov2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

sunnyteach03

Required
Old 07-19-2006, 09:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Word walls are required in out county, grades K-5. You don't necessarily have to have it on the wall. You can use individual file folders for students to keep at desks as well.

sunnyteach03 is offline   Reply With Quote

grade4curlyQ

Try a few ideas until....
Old 07-23-2006, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

It seems like if you try a few ideas/approaches each year, you will find your way of using a word wall that works for you.

One of my walls has the '200 most frequently misspelled words' for obvious reasons and in large print.

I prefer to group the content area words for association recall. This also includes the vocabulary words for reading stories (when we do use the reading series) as well as SS & Science topics. You can type these in 'word' and in the font size area type in 100 or higher point font. Make your list appear alphabetically (each story having its own list). Print these out, glue them to card stock or construction paper (vertical - each word below one another) with the name of the story at the bottom and next year if you use that story, you'll have the words ready to put up on a board or wall in one - 2 foot long laminated sheet. If it sounds confusing and you'd like more explanation, I'd be happy to clarify
grade4curlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote

iteach4th

word wall question...
Old 07-23-2006, 06:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks so much to all for your posts of ideas....

I'm still unsure if I want to have a "frequently misspelled/high frequency word wall" or a content word wall.

Am I correct from your post, grade4curlylQ, that you have MORE THAN ONE word wall up in your room? That would solve my problem, I guess, but then I'd have to decide to use either Social Studies or Reading Vocabulary words! SO MANY WORDS, so little wall space!

Please clarify for me what list of words you recommend. Which group will we ACTUALLY USE a lot? Also, how many words do you put up and discuss at one time?

Thanks so much for your help!
iteach4th is offline   Reply With Quote
incollege4ed

incollege4ed

word walls
Old 03-30-2009, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You want to introduce no more than five words per week. Kids can get a grip on them much more effectively if you limit it to five.

Also, you can have many word walls, one large one of course... individual ones and topic/content word walls. These can be made every week for whatever book or story in the series you are using and then added to the main word wall later.

*remember kids can have their own word walls in their desks.