Help

ARCHIVE

this may sound silly but...

>

vateacher

this may sound silly but...
Old 07-16-2006, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

how do you all figure out your classroom arrangements? I have been in the same class now for two years and I'm tired of moving furniture around only to find it doesn't work. Isn't there an easier way to visualize things without hauling things from one area to another? Maybe I'm just not spatially talented. I dunno but I'm really desperate to create a good space for my room. The first year I must've moved things at least 6 times. Last year I only moved things once midyear because of a 504 plan that got written for a student with CP. The room was nice and clear with everything basically on the edge of the room so that he wouldn't trip over things and could get place to place easier. This year I'd like to try having the balanced literacy "section your room into areas" plan but I can't figure out how to figure it all out without physically moving everything around and getting all sore and tired. How do y'all do it?! Any suggestions? Thanks!

vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Twinsmom

class set up
Old 07-16-2006, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I continue to struggle each year with good ways to set up my desks. I like the idea of putting them in groups of 4. If I do this, I don't have much room to move around. Also, we team teach, so the students travel in and out of my room several times. I am not sure of the perfect set up. Some good ideas would be appreciated.
Twinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

LA Teacher

Room
Old 07-16-2006, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I try to visualize then draw on paper. Finally I just have to get in there and move furniture. This is the time when I take my kids to school (over summer) and have them help me move the furniture until I like it.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I've moved the furniture already~ and I'm not so sure I'm going to like it once the kids get there. I may be moving it again after school starts.UGH!
LA Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher1977

Graph Paper
Old 07-16-2006, 07:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This works easily if you have tiled floor. You won't even have to measure just count. The tiles are 1 ft square a piece. You will need to measure other things. Draw your room shape on the paper. Make sure you mark doors, windows, pencil sharpner, and electrical outlets. Make copies for mistakes. After you have measured your furniture (make a list and round off to square ft) you can pencil in different room arrangements.
You may still have to make some adjustments but it sure cuts out most of the moving.
teacher1977 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherLisa1st

Old 07-16-2006, 08:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Scholastic.com has a interactive classroom set-up tool that you can print out under Teacher Tools. It's very helpful!

TeacherLisa1st is offline   Reply With Quote

J.Elaine

Old 07-16-2006, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

vateacher,
I had to move from one classroom to another one time. My furniture had not been moved yet, but I was required to leave a plan for where I wanted all my furniture placed before I left the school for the summer. Well, you can imagine how difficult it was for me to make decisions about the furniture when I'd not seen the furniture in the room yet . Here's how I solved the problem. I used graph paper just like teacher1997 told you. I used the tiles to measure. I put masking tape on the floor so I could "see" how much room each piece of furniture would take, then I just went to the graph paper and drew in where I wanted a piece of furniture placed. It worked perfectly !

One other thing I do that helps me a lot. We have trapezoid-shaped tables instead of desks, so I use the trapezoid pattern blocks to experiment with different table groupings. It's easier than moving the tables all around until I get a new arrangement I like.
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Moving things
Old 07-17-2006, 04:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

One year I drew an outline plan of my classroom and laminated it. Then I drew in the furniture w/ a permanent marker that I could erase later w/ fingernail polish remover. Finally, I used post-it notes to represent the desks. I could stick and restick to my heart's content. I did this for a seating chart. YOu could do something similar. INstead of drawing in the furniture, make little paper patterns either on sticky notes, or just on paper and tape them where you want.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

SC

Old 07-17-2006, 05:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'm lazy too, and all of that drawing and redrawing doesn't work for me. As soon as the kids come in, I realize it has to be changed! My husband is good at visualizing these kinds of things, so I have him come up there and help with suggestions and moving. We've moved furniture only twice so far
SC is offline   Reply With Quote

teachmo

To Tweet
Old 07-17-2006, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I did this for a seating chart.

What a great idea! I have difficulty writing out seating charts when I make changes. Thanks!
teachmo is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

teachmo
Old 07-17-2006, 09:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

You're welcome.

tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Old 07-17-2006, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks so much y'all (cringe...i'm sorry but I am becoming more southern the more I live here!) Anyhow I did some preliminary drawing and moved some things around but I still wasn't happy. So then I brought in the reserves (my poor old father) and it's amazing what he accomplished. He used a piece of paper and a pointer I had to measure with! Incredible. I wish I'd inherited some of his resourcefulness! Anyhow I'm sure I may have to tweak it some once the kids get back but I'm loving the new design quite a bit. Yay! Thanks again!!! I just KNEW I could count on you!
vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote