Spelling goals and objectives - ProTeacher Community

March Baby

Spelling goals and objectives
Old 11-24-2008, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a fifth grader that I need to write a new IEP for. I am subbing for someone out on leave(I am licensed in SPED) and I am confused about writing spelling goals when there doesn't seem to be any objectives. The words for their weekly spelling list comes directly from misspelled words in their writing. Many of the students spelling lists are all different from each other. What should I do. I am having trouble finding my state standards for spelling. I have previously posted in regards to this but I haven't really gotten a solid grasp of what to do yet. Thank you all for any help that you could give me that will hopefully make this clearer for me.

March Baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Lottalove

Leave yourself and him a lot of leeway
Old 11-24-2008, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

just in case--something like:

"Given a set of 5-10 assigned spelling words [no need to say where they are from], John will demonstrate knowledge by spelling them correctly in 4 out of 5 trials..." [or with 80% accuracy] or whatever you want the passing criteria to be...

Well, that sounds kind of funny and wordy but you get the jist of it...I would not include "from his reading selection" or from his misspelled word lists or whatever, just in case it changes...
Lottalove is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

you would uses
Old 11-24-2008, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

state standards for writing.....

for example, from the washington state grade level expectations....these happen to be for 4th grade...

Applies understanding of editing
appropriate for grade level.
Identifies and corrects errors in grade
level conventions.

Uses more than one resource (e.g.,
dictionary, writing guide, spell check,
peer, adult).
Proofreads final draft for errors.
newspedteach is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

use
Old 11-24-2008, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I meant to say "you would use"

I hate that I can't figure out how to edit the heading

whatever

I agree with the above
Old 11-24-2008, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

but would compromise the two--I know we are supposed to use state standards...

I guess that my beef is that if these kids could readily meet state standards at grade level, they wouldn't need SpEd.

First though, I think that I would question if I was the correct person to write a new IEP if I were just a sub, even with the right credentials.

If so, I would make sure to look at previous IEP goals to determine if he mastered them to the extent that an entirely new goal is even required. Many times, it may be that mastery did not occur or that you can use a similiar spelling goal with harder/more complex words, a longer word list or higher percentage of accuracy. JMO

PS to newspedteach--to edit the title, choose the option "Go Advanced" when the edit box first appears.

Last edited by whatever; 11-24-2008 at 05:38 PM.. Reason: PS
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

Thanks Whatever!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

for the tip!

"First though, I think that I would question if I was the correct person to write a new IEP if I were just a sub, even with the right credentials."

I agree with this. If you are a long term sub, then this would def. be needed, unless the teacher is continuing to write her present students' IEPs...

Yes, I agree to an extent about the state standards at grade level not being appropriate, but our state standards (Washington State) are modified a bit for every grade level. In our state it is perfectly acceptable to write a goal for the same subject area that pertains to a standard 2 or more years below...but in the same general area. Hope I explained that right.

Also, in our district, we wouldn't be allowed to write "spelling" goals. They would need to be writing and connected to the state standards.

March Baby

goals in current IEP
Old 11-25-2008, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Goal:
? will improve spelling skills from ?% accuracy on test to ?% accuracy.

Objective: Given a test ? will score ?% accuracy or better in 3/4 trials as observed by ? ( and the % just change for each objective).

That just doesn't seem right to me but I could be wrong. Maybe that alone is ongoing enough and I am just thinking it to death.

The teacher isn't keeping up with the caseload while they are on leave and yes I am a long-term substitute.

Thank you all very much for your continued help.

klim

spelling
Old 11-25-2008, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Typically I do not write spelling goals. You should be writing written language goals. That's why there is not state standards for this. You should be teaching your fifth grader how to use a spell check on the computer and his spelling lists should include high freq. words. My written language goals encorporate conventions. For example, While writing an expository essay, John will score a 20 out of 32 according to the state writing rubric (focus, support, organiz, integration and conventions are scored) The state rubric does not even value spelling. The kids either score a 2 or a 1 for spelling.
klim is offline   Reply With Quote

newspedteach

Old 11-25-2008, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We are also not allowed to write percentages anymore. Our district is really strict with IEP writing and they must be according to state standards and easy to measure. So, we would say something like, "student will write ___ out of ___ correct, complete sentences as measured by district writing assessments or curriculum-based assessments."

I've also written goals that have incorporated writing ___ out of ____high frequency sight words.

March Baby

I forgot to mention
Old 12-09-2008, 05:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

That they have to spell them correctly three weeks in a row in order to get new words.