ARCHIVE

Weekly Current Events Magazine in Third Grade

>

2ndgradeteacher

Weekly Current Events Magazine in Third Grade
Old 07-17-2006, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi everyone,

I just found out I'm moving up to third grade for this school year, where I'll most likely be teaching science and social studies to both of our third grade rooms. I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on Scholastic News for current events in third grade? Anyone use it? Do you like it/not like it? Do you use one of the other weekly issues, like Time or Weekly Reader or something else you like? I'd like to add a current events with one of these for my new third graders. Thanks for your input!

2ndgradeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Scholastic News in 3rd
Old 07-17-2006, 09:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We currently use Scholastic News, but our reasoning has nothing to do w/ quality. It was the cheapest when we decided to order. My kids don't particularly enjoy it. It may be because I don't do much with it. But when I tell them it's time for Scholastic News there's usually a lot of groaning. I am trying to come up w/ ways to use our local newspaper for some current events activities this year--so far I don't have a clue.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

Scholastic News
Old 07-17-2006, 09:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My kids enjoyed them, but I just couldn't keep up! We'd get a month behind and then for reading we would spend the week catching up!

This year I am moving to first and we are trying National Geographic for kids.

Amy
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

Happy Teacher

Time for Kids
Old 07-17-2006, 11:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have used Time for Kids magazine for many years. The students really like the articles. It is a great supplement to the social studies and science curriculum. Sometimes I do find that I get behind with the issues, but I just save them up and they are great to have on hand for when you are going to have a substitute teacher.
Happy Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

NightOwl

Scholastic News
Old 07-17-2006, 11:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My class likes them. As a matter of fact, many try to read ahead. We relax with the magazine at the end of the day. It has a lot to offer. I also like to have it handy for a substitute teacher. I have used Time for Kids and Weekly Reader in past years.

NightOwl is offline   Reply With Quote

NCteach

Scholastic News for Me
Old 07-17-2006, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I like using scholastic news. Like the others said, it is great to have on hand for a sub. I read these during social studies or science as a group. We even discuss the answers to the back page, but the kids don't write on them just yet. After our discussion they go to their seats and complete the back page. I usually take it for a grade.
NCteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Windalynn

Old 07-17-2006, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I also use Time For Kids and really like it! It is current with what is going on around the world and written in a way that the kids can understand it. I use it once a week during Guided Reading and then put extra copies in the book center.
Windalynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Twinsmom

Time 4 Kids
Old 07-17-2006, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I used Time for Kids in whole group/direct teaching if something pending or important is going on. Usually the students use them in centers for SS or writing. The children love to read the articles. I find them to be well written and used on grade level. GREAT IDEA TO USE FOR SUBSTITUTES. I think the subscription cost $4.oo per student.
Twinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Joy

Who pays for your subscriptions?
Old 07-17-2006, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'm just curious...

When I first started teaching we were given budget money to pay for any subscription we wanted. At the time, I used Weekly Reader. I especially liked the supplements such as the posters, etc. Some of my collegues started to get Scholastic News and Time for Kids. Now, we have to use our supply budgets to purchase these magazines. I can't see spending half of my supply budget to pay for these when there are other items that I can't live without.

Do you pay for your own?

Do your kids bring in money for the subscription?

Does your school pay for the subscription?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Jade

Jade

Weekly Reader
Old 07-17-2006, 09:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've used them all and have liked them all as far as content goes.

I used Time for Kids for two years a few years back. I liked it the first year, but during the second year the supplemental worksheets became so watered down they weren't worth the ink or paper to copy for the students. I complained to them, but basically they said that the version I was getting was meant for both 2nd and 3rd grades (I teach 3rd) and so they would be gearing it to the lower end. I switched to Weekly Reader then and I really like most of the supplemental worksheets. They make good bell work in the morning and reinforce lots of skills.

No matter which one I used, however, I still find that I wasn't getting to them every week. I agree that they are great to leave when you have a sub.

Twinsmom

Who pays?
Old 07-18-2006, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Right now, the students bring in their own money. I have magazines and projects from last year, when I show the students what we will be doing, they get motivated and bring the money without too much problems. I may check out Weekly Reader, since the previous poster did like Time 4 Kids.
Twinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

Who Pays...
Old 07-19-2006, 03:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Last year I worked at a Golden Apple school and we used that money to get the magazines. This year I moved to a new school and we just put it on our requisition list. I've never had the kids have to pay for it themselves. It is something the school has provided or we did without!

Amy
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote