Help

ARCHIVE

Tables vs. Desks

>

Chris10

Tables vs. Desks
Old 07-18-2006, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all--Just looking for some advice on this issue. The classroom I am moving into has LARGE tables already in it that the previous 5th grade teacher used last year. I have requested desks but I am not sure if I will be able to get them this year---do any of you use tables for your 5th graders? To me it just seem like something used for the primary grades--I mean issues of copying and personal space seem to be bothering me. Any advice as to how you feel about tables vs. desks as far as pros and cons??

Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote

NorCaliTeach

Desks
Old 07-18-2006, 07:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Personally, I am a desk fan. I am a big believer in groups though, so essentially, all of my desks are arranged like a table would be. My dear friend and colleague loved having tables. They worked for her because she didn't mind clutter. If you are a neat freak, like myself, then tables will drive you insane. Since there isn't space for students to store their materials, they end up on the floor next to them or on the table all day long. Even if you have baskets or bins for the materials, they're always in view. This didn't bother my friend though, so it probably depends on your personality.
NorCaliTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

sfeller

tables
Old 07-19-2006, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I had the same question since I'm moving from desks to tables this year. I read a ton of the archived posts on this topic, and the people who replied overwhelmingly favored tables over desks. I recently observed a 6th grade classroom that used tables and it worked really well. She had students keep all of their textbooks, etc. in a basket underneath their chairs. This cut back on transition time and messes. She also had the round tables marked into four sections with tape to help with personal space issues, but said this is the first year she's needed the tape. I'm planning on trying something similar this year with my fifth graders.
sfeller is offline   Reply With Quote

brett158

Old 07-19-2006, 04:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think either is fine. However, I have used tables with my older kids. It kind of forces them to learn to respect each others space and work together!
brett158 is offline   Reply With Quote

Chris10

Thanks--
Old 07-19-2006, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Hey all thanks for your workds of advice--I really appreciate it! I think the tables will be okay--they just seem HUGE! And it is so odd because as large as they seem I know I can't place three students on one side or they'd be too close together--AHH! It will all work out--I KNOW!! But hey, thanks again for your help!

Chris10 is offline   Reply With Quote