Ideas for staff morale - ProTeacher Community

Jalen

Jalen

Ideas for staff morale
Old 07-19-2006, 05:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been asked to head our committee that coordinates activities for staff members. The usual things like birthdays, Xmas party, dinners during Conference Week, etc... I'm looking for some cheap or no cost ideas to give out to teachers during the school year just for the fun of it. What fun stuff have you seen or done over the years? Thanks in advance!!

TootSweet

Old 07-19-2006, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It might take some running around or phone calls on your part, but our staff loves getting coupons from local restaurants and businesses.

We all enjoy ordering in a lunch now and then, but no one delivers in our town, so if you could coordinate getting someone to place an order and pick it up it would be great. The teachers wouldn't mind paying for their own lunch if someone just took the initiative to make the arrangments.

We also enjoy doing a monthly bday party for all of the staff. Assign departments or grade levels to bring food and supplies for just one month so people do not get burned out by bringing monthly. Don't forget to send a reminder the day before to the specific people who are supposed to bring in the food. We try to do it on payday each month so everyone remembers and it doesn't fall on the same day of the week each month so the same people don't miss out due to recess duty each month.
TootSweet is offline   Reply With Quote

mellen

Our staff enjoys...
Old 07-19-2006, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

playing different games. We usually have one each month. It's posted in the staff lounge, so it motivates people to get out of their classrooms and mingle. Some of our favorites are:
*wrap a variety of different packages of candy, number them, then try to guess which candy belongs to which number. This is much harder than you think. We've done the same thing with a variety of items for a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, then rewarded the winner with a free turkey!
*each staff member brings in a baby picture and we try to match them up.
*at the end of the year we hang paper bags each with a different category written on it (the friendliest, the most organized, the prettiest smile, etc.). Then we vote by writing a staff member's name on a slip of paper and placing it in the bag.
*have everyone write something about themselves that no one else knows, then try to guess who belongs to which event
We also have monthly potlucks, each one with a theme. Staff members sign up ahead of time for what they will bring.
We've had lemon day and chocolate day, where each person brings in their favorite lemon or chocolate dish. We've had cookie exchanges during the holidays, too.
Be creative, use your imagination, have fun!
mellen is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingSarah

Staff activities
Old 07-19-2006, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Some of the things we have done are:
- had a murder mystery....this was GREAT!
- Christmas baking exchanges
- Secret angel-you pick a name and do something nice for this person at least once a month. They have no clue who you are.
- potlucks
- wellness day-played tennis, worked out, went swimming
- ice cream parties
- picnics
TeachingSarah is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

morale boosters
Old 07-19-2006, 06:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do a lot of the same ones everybody else does--birthdays, etc. One that we do at Thanksgiving is this: Those who wish to participate in the annual "Turkey Trot" get a drinking straw and a turkey die-cut. They line up in the hallway in "heats". At the signal, they have to suck on the straw to keep the die-cut stuck to the end of it while racing to the touch the principal's hand down the hall (about 7 or 8 feet away) and back. It's HYSTERICAL, and there's usually some good natured cheating. After all the heats, the winners race each other. The overall winner gets a frozen turkey. Since we don't do this until the day we get out for Thanksgiving (usually Tuesday), many people will have already purchased their turkey, so the frozen one is often donated to the needy. THose of us who don't race, cheer. It doesn't last long, but it is a lot of fun.

tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

hescollin

Teachers are the greates.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

BOO at Halloween. There is a poem that goes with it, but I'll have to find it to share. And you leave a small package. a dollar or two.
You could start it by leaving a poem and package with two or three teachers. You never know who BOO you.

We have secret pals. If want to be a part you sign up. It's ok if you don't want to. We give something every month. A note, a small something a five dollar or so gift at Christmas and Birthday.

We draw names and bake a cake for the teacher's lounge. Only if you want to be apart.

Teacher's are the keepers, Of the light in children's eyes. You keep the flame of learning, Glowing all the time. You make a difference. Thank You. five or six Hershey kisses and hugs.

Cinnamon Bears We can't bear to think what school would be like without you. Thanks for all you do!

7-up, Sprit or a bottle of water. You make the day "Sparkle"

Soup Mix You're a "souper" teacher. We are glad you are a teacher at ________________.

***** M&M Pills for Teachers
Eat a brown M&M to temporarily calm your carving for chocolate
Eat a red M&M at the first sign of meeting overload.
Orange minimizes “Mental Block” during long range planning.
Eat a Green M&M to calm your frustrations while arranging the room
If you feel a head ache coming on while doing lesson plans eat a yellow M&M.
Blue M&M’s reduces Bulletin Board fatigue.
Directions: Take as needed. If all symptoms occur at the same time eat the whole bag. Warning: May cause weight gain.

Some more goodie bag ideas….
A penny for always listening to my thoughts, an elastic band for your arms stretching around me to give me a hug, a chocolate kiss for the obvious, a peanut for all the times we are “Nutty” and have fun together, a piece of juicy fruit gum because we stick together no matter what, dice for all the games we play together, a band-aid because you always make me feel better, a lifesaver because, a tooth pick because you always pick out my good points.

Teachers come and teachers go but you're the best we've ever had.

M&M You are Magnificent and Marvelous. Glad your apart of our team.

Gummy Dinosaurs. You're a "dino-mite" teacher. Thanks for teaching at__________.

Pack of flower seeds. The seeds you plant will last a lifetime.
OR
Kids are like seeds, you plant in the soil. Each takes patience nurturing and toil. You are a great teacher. You do your job well planting seeds of knowledge.

a mirror with a note. You are looking at a very special teacher.
hescollin is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Re:: M& Ms
Old 07-19-2006, 07:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Love the M & M idea! This will be perfect as favors for our back to school, morale-booster, meet the new teacher brunch!
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

Rach

TeachingSarah
Old 07-19-2006, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Could you please explain how your murder myster went. That sounds very fun and exciting!!
Rach is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachingSarah

Murder mystery
Old 07-19-2006, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have been a part of 3 murder mysteries at our school. We had a staff member write some murder mysteries for us one year. He has a creative streak that is ..... interesting! We each had specific characters to become. It was GREAT!!! Twice we did the murder mystery at a teachers house another time we did it on a friday night in our "old, scary, school" that was fabulous! We each had flashlights, maps of the school (some of us had never seen some of the storage areas, supply rooms etc). It was SCARY BUT VERY COOL!!! We had to go around the school and find clues about who committed the murder.

I bet you could find some online murder mysteries that you could download.
TeachingSarah is offline   Reply With Quote

angelluv28

Murder Mystery
Old 07-20-2006, 12:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My husband and I hosted one for my MIL's birthday a couple years ago. IT was a Western so we cook hot dogs and hamburgers served them on pie tins (with no spoons for the bbq beans) We actually got a kit for my husband's birthday. It had the invites and all of the music etc. We called everyone with their parts and they had to come dressed. We gave them a script in order to find out who was the murder amongst the group. Because my husband and I knew, we just served as host and hostess and kind of guided the night. Everyone had a blast and said that we were good party throwers. We ended the night with pictures and cake. We now have one that is set in a fifties diner. We're thinking of doing that for my FIL this year....
angelluv28 is offline   Reply With Quote
ErinSC

ErinSC

Holiday event
Old 05-04-2009, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Turkey Bowling - we borrowed real bowling bins from a local Bowling alley and team members took turns rolling a frozen turkey down the hall to knock over the pins. It was a lot of fun and the winner won a "NEW" frozen turkey. It was great
NannieDawn

NannieDawn

Teacher
Old 10-23-2009, 08:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

How do you play the murder mystery game? I am trying to come up with ideas for our faculty and am struggling to get some fun ideas. Please let me know how this works.

Dawn