Alternative to Donorschoose? - ProTeacher Community

kikid

Alternative to Donorschoose?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Donors Choose is for public school classrooms and I teach in a very small parochial school.
Is there a site similiar that accepts private and parochial schools? I thought I had read about it somewhere?
Any advice would be great!

Have a relaxed vacation everyone!

Kiki in Wisconsin

kikid is offline   Reply With Quote

caroleu

creating one
Old 12-27-2008, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't know of one, but I think it would be neat idea to start one. I know of many parochial schools where the teachers spend a lot of their own money for every classroom project because the resources are just not there. (Though I'm not in that position now, I was for many years.) And I do think that there are Catholic school graduates that might be willing to fund the same kinds of projects that donorschoose does.

There are free webhosting services for teachers where a site could be started. I don't have the technical expertise to start a site like that and get it listed in the major search engines, but I think it might be worth exploring the possibilities. What do you think?
caroleu is offline   Reply With Quote

Socks

Adopt a Classroom
Old 12-27-2008, 09:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try www.adoptaclassroom.com. I don't know anything about it other than the fact that it exists so I don't know if it'll work for you but it's worth checking out!
Socks is online now   Reply With Quote

City Mouse

Old 12-27-2008, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

adoptaclassroom would be great, but you have to do all of your own work. I have been on that site for 2 years and haven't gotten anything from them.
City Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Aurora

Old 12-27-2008, 08:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Ditto to the above about AdoptAClassroom. Another alternative is http://www.iloveschools.com. This one I haven't tried, but it's the only other one I know of.

Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote

only4Him

Old 12-28-2008, 04:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I am at a large Christian/protestant school and I agree...there isn't anything out there like Donors Choose. I am hooked with iloveschools.com but nothing has come of it...you have to give it to parents so ultimately it comes to them donating and that just hasn't happened. I really want an interactive whiteboard but I don't see it happening unless I purchase it! boo hoo! I spend a lot...a lot...on my classroom.
only4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

cabrini6285

looking for one too
Old 12-30-2008, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I also teach at a very small Catholic School and would love a website like Donorschoose. My school could surely benefit.
cabrini6285 is offline   Reply With Quote

HPHumanities

found some sites
Old 09-07-2014, 03:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am a public school teacher, but I've found that DC basically doubles the actual price of already high-end retail prices. For example I'm trying to get a $250 map set and I have raise more than $400 to receive it. It kind of dampens my enthusiasm.

Good luck!
HPHumanities is offline   Reply With Quote
Emlyn

Emlyn

DonorsChoose and pricing
Old 09-22-2014, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I noticed the same thing on DC: most of the items "recommended" to teachers for their projects are high-end, top-of-the-line items from DC's partners that really are excessive and overpriced for a public elementary school. Best Buy Business? Since when can public schools afford business rates? A simple search on google reveals much lower pricing available.

And while the matching funds idea is handy, one gets the impression that DC actually bases their model on these to get those projects funded. Without regular matching funds, this couldn't work.

Such is the priority of education.