Hollywood Theme - ProTeacher Community

spartan

Hollywood Theme
Old 07-20-2006, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am teaching third grade this year after teaching special ed for a few years. I am wanting to do a theme in my room and thought of doing Hollywood. Any suggestions for this theme or any others that not everyone does????? Thanks

spartan is offline   Reply With Quote

Patrice

Old 07-20-2006, 08:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I did a Hollywood theme in my fourth grade classroom last year and it was a huge hit!
On one of my walls I hung red curtains and pulled it to the sides like in the movie theaters. Between the curtains I put white construction paper and placed my classroom TV in front of it.
On another wall I bought 2 movie posters from Walmart and hung them. Beneath them I put "coming attractions" and "now showing." I changed them every two months and the students even brought some to hang.
I also found a great website called The Hollywood Megastore. The website address is http://www.hollywoodmegastore.com. I bought several oscar statues, empty movie reel cans, and various other decorations to put up around the room.
In my reading corner the bulletin board said "lights, camera, read!"
I put on my door "Welcome to Lewis theater" and put each students name on star.
Last but not least I bought from a popcorn vendor the old fashion boxes that popcorn used to come in, the square red and white ones, and put unpopped popcorn kernals in the bottom 1/3. I then put in glue that would dry clear and placed those around the classroom as decorations and allowed the students to use them as pencil holders.
Other ideas would be to put "coming to a cafeteria near you" next to your monthly lunch menu. If you send out a newsletter you can call it "reel news" or "live from the red carpet of Mr./Mrs. ____ room."
I hope these ideas help and good luck!
Patrice is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Hollywood
Old 07-21-2006, 06:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Foir my door, we are covering it with black fadeless paper. I took a picture of each of my new kids wearing a pair of sunglasses. (Because we do a Moving Up Day in June, and because the party store had sparkly sunglasses with the year 2006 on it, I used those, but you could use any sunglasses). The party store had one of those boards like directors use in the movies to mark the "takes" of each scene, and I used white out to write my name and class name. The kids held that up while I took their picture. I bought star cutouts for their names, and last year, I had found a small bulletin board in the shape of a Hawaiian shirt. I am going to cover that with fabric to look like a tuxedo top and put my lettering for the door on it. If you want to play up the movie theme, the party store has popcorn-related items and tickets.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Amy R

Amy R

Hollywood theme
Old 07-22-2006, 07:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I just posted a board under the STAR theme. Go there to read what I am doing with my Hollywood theme. Great sites for decorations, quotes, etc.

spartan

Hollywood
Old 07-23-2006, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks so much awesome ideas from everyone. I love this site.

spartan is offline   Reply With Quote

REB

I'm doing a Hollywood/Star kind of theme...
Old 07-23-2006, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

and I found a lot of cute carboard decorations for my room, tickets(to give out for behavior), Hollywood decorations, scene setters with Hollywood written on it (and the street signs scene setter) (these can be used to decorate corners in your room...anywhere from 5-10 feet in width...and I found some large die cut stars...a cascading Hollywood themed centerpiece that I will place on my file, and one with stars that is smaller that I will place on my desk...they also had an aisle runner that was real (like the "red carpet"), (it was $4.99), and I bought black cubby type stacking buckets from Dollar tree (shoe box sized), and my mom and dad picked up some gold stars in a pack of 780 at the Dollar Tree and I decorated the sides of each bucket with the gold stars, scattering them around... I found all of the stuff at Party City, except the stuff I mentioned I got at Dollar Tree, and it wasn't that expensive to pull off for my room. Also, I bought GOLD die cut stars(36 to a pack) at Dollar Tree as well.

REB
REB is offline   Reply With Quote