Help

ARCHIVE

Poll- How long did you student teach?

>

Mrs. TN B

Poll- How long did you student teach?
Old 07-21-2006, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm just curious- how long were you required to student teach/ intern? My program/ district required a year-long internship program completed after receiving a Bachelor's degree. Was the ST time helpful? Did you have a good mentoring teacher? Should ST have been a longer/shorter experience? Thanks.

Mrs. TN B is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherBee

Student Teaching
Old 07-21-2006, 04:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My ST experience was incredible! My internship only lasted 12 weeks but I can see where a full year would be much more beneficial. I did start in the fall so I got to see much of the prep work that went into getting ready for BTS. My mentor teacher was absolutely fantastic and really shared her classroom 110%.
TeacherBee is offline   Reply With Quote

imacacher

1 semester--15 weeks
Old 07-21-2006, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My official student teaching semester was from January-April of 2004. I was placed in one classroom for the entire semester. It was an incredible experience partly because Penn State's program is so well organized, and partly because I couldn't have asked for a better cooperating teacher. I am fortunate in that as soon as I graduated I was subbing in the building and then I was hired for a permanent sub position, and then a full time position in the same school. My mentor teacher is definately my closest colleague and is also one of my best friends.
imacacher is offline   Reply With Quote

Ilvtching

student teaching
Old 07-21-2006, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My student teaching was 15 weeks (one college semester). I loved every second of it! I am still in contact with my mentor teacher! She is sooo awesome! I am moving to first grade this year and she is helping me out a lot and she lives two hours away. We still get together for lunch once in a while. I learned more in my student teaching than in my 4 1/2 years of classes! I student taught in the winter term so I didn't get to see how the year started . But my cooperating teacher came to my new school and helped me! It was so awesome!

Amy
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote

Joy

Student Teaching
Old 07-21-2006, 04:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

My student teaching was an entire year. I spent Sept.-Dec. in a 4th grade class and Jan.-May in a 2nd grade class. I also had an opportunity to student teach in the UK for a month and a half. All of my experiences were wonderful. Prior to student teaching I completed 40 hours of observation between each semester. I also did quite a few observations and participation classes in the elementary schools.

Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

TootSweet

12 weeks
Old 07-21-2006, 04:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My student teaching experience was amazing and I learned so much. The actual practicum was 12 weeks long, but we'd been in and out of the classrooms a great deal in the two years before actually beginning student teaching. Since I had been employed by the school system before as an aide, I felt very comfortable setting up a classroom and working with parents. I think for many who had never worked in schools before would have benefited from atleast a full semester of student teaching,
TootSweet is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

student teaching
Old 07-21-2006, 04:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

16 weeks, 8 weeks in two different classrooms. It was wonderful, had wonderful supervisory teachers
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

musicbug

Student teaching.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Every ed course requried 15 hours of classroom experience. Then I student taught from January to May back in 1992. I would have liked a whole year. My mentor teacher was (God rest him) a wonderful example and support.
musicbug is offline   Reply With Quote

BookMuncher

St
Old 07-21-2006, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

My student teaching experience went from August -- June with one classroom. This is through a program at Penn STate called the Professional Development School, where you have a chance to do your coursework the first half of the year while getting used to your classroom, doing some lessons, and/or whatever you're comfortable with. The second half of the year, you have much more time and therefore can go full load by January and/or co-teach with your mentor depending on preference.

I LOVED it! It allowed me to see the classroom set up, watch the kids grow, run conferences, etc... and I felt so much more comfortable-- almost like a 2nd year teacher!
BookMuncher is offline   Reply With Quote

sparty95

Old 07-21-2006, 05:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My ST lasted for 2 college semesters in 1 classroom, Aug-May. I received my BA after 4 years and then did my intern teaching, as well as taking master level classes in my 5th year. It was a great experience, it really gave me the opportunity to see what really goes into teaching.
sparty95 is offline   Reply With Quote

tweet

Student teaching
Old 07-21-2006, 05:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Many of my methods courses required classroom observations, so I had a lot of hours doing that--in fact, in one class I observed, the teacher had actually put my to work, then asked me to sub for her a couple of times!

My actual student teaching experience was 8 weeks, half a day in the fall semester for special education certification, then 8 weeks, half a day the first part of the spring semester for kindergarten certification, followed by 8 weeks, half a day in fourth grade for my elementary 1-8 certification.

I found my student teaching experience very rewarding. I was by myself in the fall, but for the spring semester, I was assigned to an open concept school w/ 2 other student teachers from my university. We actually had separate kindergarten classrooms we were assigned to, but the kids changed classes during the day, so we all 3 had the same students. When we did 4th grade, it was a team taught situation, so we were all together with 4 cooperating teachers overseeing us. We collaborated on a lot of things, and had the wonderful luxury of bouncing ideas off each other.
tweet is offline   Reply With Quote

KAN

Student Teaching
Old 07-21-2006, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

my student teaching lasted one semester. I had two different teachers at two different schools both were 7th grade. It was a fantastic learning experience. My two mentoring teachers were very different from each other, taught in completely different environments but were both master teachers. I think the length was about right.
KAN is offline   Reply With Quote

2ndgradeteacher

Old 07-21-2006, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

One college semester --- about 16 weeks... we spent half the time in one primary grade and the other half in an intermediate level classroom. It was great to experience two different classroom levels, but the time flew by fast! I can see the benefits of a year long experience as it can be hard to dig into everything in such a short time.
2ndgradeteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

student teaching
Old 07-21-2006, 06:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Mine was one semester. During that time I helped in 2 different grades - one upper (4th) and one lower (1st). I had a great mentoring teacher - but she was the one at the college. The ones in the classroom were good, but not wonderful. They were very limited on what they would show me. I wanted to see how a gradebook was set up, and they said they "weren't allowed to".

I thought that amount of time was appropriate. Overall it was a decent experience, but I can definitely see ways it could've been better. That's the reason I want to be a student teacher mentor now!
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

mab

Student teaching
Old 07-21-2006, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Things have certainly changed since I did mine back in 1974! I did my student teaching first quarter for 6 weeks. I never took the whole class by myself. I spent a lot of time working with small groups, correcting papers (A LOT!), and I got to teach Spelling, read aloud to them, and teach a unit of Science. I liked my supervising teacher, and she really liked me because she never had any papers to check or homework to track down! I must have done alright because I did get hired the following fall after I graduated!
mab is offline   Reply With Quote

brett158

Old 07-21-2006, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

My college required 15 weeks. I did half of it in a 2nd grade classroom and half of it in SPED Middle school class since I was getting a dual degree. It was fun, but I felt I didnt really NEED to do it in order to be a good teacher. However we did SO many hours of field experience throughout my college experience (over 300 hours total) I knew how the classrooms worked pretty well.
brett158 is offline   Reply With Quote

teach4TX

What student teaching?
Old 07-21-2006, 01:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

My college required a semester of student teaching, half in primary and half in intermediate. However, I student taught in a 3rd grade classroom for the first 7 days of school. Then the principal called me into his office and offered me a job. They needed to add an additional 3rd grade class to keep within state guidelines in classroom size. So I had one day to fill out and finalize paperwork w/ admin at the district level and w/ my university. Then, I had ONE DAY to set up my classroom! And the students came the next day!
Needless to say, my student teaching was non-existent and replaced w/ on the job training! Somehow I survived and the kids did too. Now six years later I can look back and laugh at that stressful situation.
teach4TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Kiki

16 weeks
Old 07-21-2006, 04:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

My student teaching was 16 weeks. The next year, my coop. teacher (I love her) moved to a different grade and I got her job. Last year we taught on the same team.

My experience was wonderful! I can honestly say that it was so rewarding because my coop. was so genereous, gining, kind, supportive. I've heard horror stories but, mine was terrific!
Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote

J.Elaine

Student Teaching
Old 07-21-2006, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My student teaching experience lasted 14 weeks. I did 7 weeks with 3rd graders and 7 weeks in 8th-grade math. While we could teach all 14 weeks with one supervising teacher, we were encouraged to show the wide range of our expertise by doing a split assignment, so that's what I did.
It was a wonderful experience!
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
GraceK

GraceK

Old 07-21-2006, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I earned endorsements in Special Ed and Early Childhood, so I student taught for one semester and one month total. Half of the semester was in Special Ed, half was in reg ed (in my case, Kindergarten), and then the month between semesters was spent teaching in preschool. It seems like a short amount of time overall when I look back on it, but we spent quite a bit of time in various pratica teaching in classrooms over the previous 3 years.

I had great mentor teachers- no complaints about them! I ended up teaching in a completely different environment though- different state and extremely different student population.

PopcornNhugs

a year
Old 07-22-2006, 05:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Mine started with summer school in college at the University of Arkansas. Then in August, I was placed in a school, with 7 other girls.
We were each in our first placement from August to October. We then switched to our long placement-October-March. This was where we conducted our action research. Yikes! After that, it was all downhill. Our third placement was from March to May.

I'm thankful for my year-long internship, even though I totally didn't want to do it. Now, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I feel completely prepared for my first year. (Plus, I will be getting paid as a second year teacher! )
PopcornNhugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Fanny

Fanny

Ah the good old days
Old 07-23-2006, 06:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

when student teaching was actually long enough to learn something. When I did my student teaching University started 4 weeks befor public school for seminar, as soon as public school started so did student teaching. We had a gradual release of responsibility approach. The first month we went in until noon then returned to University for seminar. Then the next month we stayed the entire day at student teaching and had seminar in the pm on Wednesdays. We had two placements a semester in primary and a semester in intermediate. I had 1st and 4th. There were four of us at my school. We flipped classes at the semester. I coulldn't believe the girl in the room next to mine actually flunked at the time. (Now having been a master teacher with student teachers who have barely squeeked by I see how she flunked.) We stayed for the entire public school year, about a month after University let out. The student teachers we have had recently only have 16 weeks!!! How in the world the credentialing program figures that is enought time to learn all the details of a classroom. There is so much more that teaching these days. Of course our state has added 2 years of BTSA to clear the credential as a requirement. Beginning Teacher Support and Assessment. Each teacher is assigned a support provider for the two year period. There is a lot of paper work/activities to complete. The support provider visits the classroom several times to see how things are going in addition to weekly get togethers and monthly seminars.