Letter of Resignation to Parents... - ProTeacher Community

rappinteach

Letter of Resignation to Parents...
Old 12-31-2008, 09:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My husband was laid off at the beginning of the month. Fortunately, he was given notice that it would happen at the end of October. He has found a job, but it will require our family to move out of state. I have also been blessed in finding a position in a school district there to begin in February. He has already left to begin his new job and I have stayed behind with our kids and to give my school time to find a replacement. Ideally, no teacher likes to leave mid-year, but we cannot afford to keep up two rents beyond a couple of months.

Has anyone ever had to write a letter to students and parents to let them know they are leaving? I never would have imagined in my 13 years of teaching that I would need to do this. The parents in my current school are very "working class" and my principal assures me they will be sad to see me go, but understanding of the situation. I wanted to wait until two weeks out from leaving. I don't want to give the impression of "shutting down" and give the kids an excuse to act out. There is still learning that needs to go on. I know that leaving now is what I have to do for my family, but I still feel bad.

Any suggestions or examples for a letter?

rappinteach is offline   Reply With Quote

km

be honest
Old 12-31-2008, 09:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have never had to resign a position mid-year but I have written letters explaining that I would be out on maternity leave. For my first I just missed a couple of months in the middle of the year and for my second I missed the last couple of months. I would just be honest and state that your husband was offered a job in another state and you need to move so your family can be together. The parents will understand. I might think about telling them a little sooner so that you can assure them you are helping the district find a qualified replacement for you and that you will be helping with the transition. Make sure your district or principal will pay you to help transition in your replacement - even if it is only a couple of days, it does make a difference with the kids and helps the other teacher a lot.
Best of luck to you and your family!
km is offline   Reply With Quote

Carolynn

wow
Old 12-31-2008, 09:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I would say you are very lucky! Your husband found a job and you've found a job mid-year! That's great. It couldn't have turned out better for you. I think people will be happy for you. Right now everyone knows how difficult it is for families. There are many with spouse's being laid off so people understand your situation. So, be honest and say what happened. Tell them you are helping with the transition and that you hope they'll understand. I am sure they will. I'm curious...where are you moving to? I know you're sad to leave but you should also be excited to go somewhere new. Tell us where it is!
Carolynn is offline   Reply With Quote

lynnylubner

Old 12-31-2008, 10:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

PM tammynj

She just left her job in December to start anew.
I know she sent a letter and is now working on a letter for her new school. She posts a lot on the Teacher's Lounge board.
I'm sure she'll be helpful!

Good luck on the new job.
lynnylubner is offline   Reply With Quote

rappinteach

Thanks (long)
Old 12-31-2008, 12:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you for the ideas and well wishes that you have given. I have sent tammynj a message to see if she has any suggestions.

I have been very upfront with my current principal from the get go on this situation. As soon as my hubby got an offer and signed it (second week of Dec.), I turned in my official resignation so the search could begin. I also wanted to make sure the I abided by my district's policy for being released from a contract. I was told under the circumstances, that there would not be any penalty even if I only gave two weeks notice.

I had hoped that they would have someone in place to take over my position before I sent home the note, just so parents would have some reassurance that their child is being left high and dry. I am not sure if that will happen by then or not now. Time seems to be dwindling. I do know that I will be able to have the new teacher in my room for a couple of days my last week to let them shadow and get to know the kids. I plan on having things set in the classroom so it as easy a transition for both students and new teacher.

My family has been very fortunate all things considered. It stinks that we had just moved here (Denver area) this summer for my hubby's old job after being apart 4 months due to the job. (Long story there!!) But in many ways we are blessed. He could have had more difficulty finding work, we are moving closer to family, and our oldest is not in kinder until next school year. I am actually stepping into a "full time sub" position for a school, not specific classroom, at teacher's pay and benefits in my old district (DFW area). It helps not to burn bridges and put yourself out there. All in all, God has been good.

Now I just have to figure out this letter, transition my students and new teacher, pack up my house and classroom, and care for my own children....

tammynj

Here's my letter
Old 12-31-2008, 12:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Rappin, I couldn't figure out how to attach it in a PM so here it is. I think I tweaked it a little when I got to school; also, we printed it out on school letterhead (after the principal approved it).

I am excited to start my new job next Monday (excited but nervous), but I have to say, it was really hard to leave my school. I don't think it has hit me yet. The kids were really upset; I think they thought they could talk me out of it. They didn't totally get it, I think. The parents did; I could tell a few were upset that it was so abrupt a change, and midyear, but most understood that I needed to take the opportunity as it came. Most of the families from my old school are well-off, but they still understood. (Catholic school teachers are notoriously underpaid).

Anyway! Best wishes! Congrats on your new job!
Attached Files
File Type: doc Dear 5th Grade Parents (old word).doc (27.0 KB, 512 views)
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote

rappinteach

thanks tammynj
Old 12-31-2008, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I appreciate you sharing your letter! I taught in a private Christian school for the first 5 years of my career. Starting salary, a big whoppin' 18K!! So I can relate on the pay issue! Good luck with your new job too, I am sure you will do just great!

tammynj

Old 12-31-2008, 12:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

No problem. They just hired the new teacher to replace me yesterday (to be fair, I didn't give them a lot of notice - things happened so quickly) so she can't shadow me, which is too bad. That would have been better; I replaced a teacher for the final six weeks of the year when I arrived at that school, and I was able to shadow her for a few days. I am, however, meeting the new teacher at the school on Friday; I already went in and tidied up and organized for her. I spent the morning downloading just about all my materials from my computer, and I have typed up basic notes for her. She seems very nice and excited to start; I recommended that she keep most classroom routines and procedures in place, at least for the remainder of the year. She's a new teacher, and said that she would and that she is glad for any stuff/ideas, etc that I will leave. I am still invested in *my* kids and hope the transition goes smoothly.
tammynj is offline   Reply With Quote