Ice Breakers for Teachers - ProTeacher Community

Jackie2

Ice Breakers for Teachers
Old 07-22-2006, 06:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Next week I will be giving a workshop. I'd like to start with an icebreaker, but I want it to be fun! Please share any icebreakers that you may have 'experienced' or heard of that you think were fun!!
Thanks

Jackie2 is offline   Reply With Quote

BirdSong

Me too!
Old 07-22-2006, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'm doing my first workshop next week. I'm terrified. It is so much easier talking to a room full of kids. Adults intimidate me. I'd love ice breakers as well. I've got lots for kids, but none for the 'big people'.
BirdSong is offline   Reply With Quote

bzetchr

Ice Breakers
Old 07-22-2006, 07:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just came across this page
http://www.education-world.com/back_...tml#icebreaker
... there are probably over 150 here ... for all ages. You may be able to adapt one to adults ...

Having them get in a line by month of their birthday- without talking, which is difficult for teachers - then go down the line and say their birthday w/o year can be fun. Maybe give a little prize if there are any "twins" in the group (like twix candy bars or pack of post-it notes to use in your session) If you are starting with some sort of group activity, you can put them into groups of 4, 5, ... this way too - that way it mixes, or breaks up, "friends" that came together for a bit.

Hope this helps - good luck.
bzetchr is offline   Reply With Quote

cinaminsweet

Old 07-22-2006, 07:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This is a fun one that I've had to do at some workshops. One person (usually the workshop leader) starts off with naming some facts about themself. When one of the partipants hears something that is the same for them, they get up and stand next to the original person and then start giving facts about themself until someone joins them. For example, at the last workshop I went to, one person was talking and then she mentioned how she was the prinicipal at the elementary school that I went to when I was a kid, so I went and stood next to her, and then gave facts until someone agreed with something I said and stood next to me. Hope that's not too confusing!

Another good icebreaker is Bingo, where you have to find people who match the items on the Bingo board.
cinaminsweet is offline   Reply With Quote

Susan/IN

wealth of information
Old 07-22-2006, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This site you posted has so much info...I forgot what I was looking for originally . Thanks for the post.

Susan/IN is offline   Reply With Quote

NCP

M & M's
Old 07-22-2006, 09:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I did one where we each got a small bag of M&M's. Each color was assigned a category and you had to name something from that category.
Ex:
yellow stood for your favorite movie
red stood for your favorite food
green stood for an embarassing moment.

We did these at tables and it was a good way to start things off. Plus we got chocolate!
NCP is offline   Reply With Quote

JRichard

Old 07-22-2006, 10:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I haven't looked at that site yet, so I don't know if this is on there, but I did it recently at a workshop I attended. It's called License Plate Bumper Cars.

Each participant gets a license plate template. Put the name of the state you were born in at the top. Put any combination of letters and numbers, up to 10, that express you in some way (be prepared to explain it). Add decorations and pictures to your license plate to express your personality.

Once they finish with their license plates (they did it as they came in in the morning, even before the "start time" and it took about 10 minutes into the class), tell them they will play bumper cars. They hold up their license plate facing out and drive around like cars. When they see someone they would like to meet, they gently bump into them (our facilitator encouraged us to "honk" as well). You tell each other what's on your plate, then wave bye and move on. We had to find three different people to bump.

It was a little silly, but it loosened us up.

Jenny
JRichard is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

I hate icebreakers but this one I liked
Old 07-22-2006, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We had one last summer where each teacher was instructed to write down one true fact about oneself and write down one false fact

each teachers goal was to fool as many as she could

here were mine

A) I once had a job on a game show

B) I have a daughter about to graduate from college

many teachers were fooled because I do not look old enough to have a colllege graduate as a child
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

roo

icebreakers
Old 07-22-2006, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Here are 2 very different activities, both of which could be used with kids, too:
1) Each person finds a partner, pref. someone they don't know. There's no talking. Explain that they are going to arm wrestle with their partner and for every time a participant is able to pin her opponent's hand to the table, that participant gets a Hershey Kiss. Only give about 1 minute or so for the activity. This is fun to watch. People that think through the activity will realize that if they work together, they could accumulate lots of candy. Others will get nothing. The idea is to work together.
2) Everyone thinks of one good open ended question. It could be teaching-related, like "What is your best advice for building good relationships with parents?" or personal, like "Where is your favorite place you've ever been on vacation?" or "If you could have lunch with one famous person, who would you choose and why?" Divide your group into an inside circle of people who face an outside circle of people. The two people facing each other ask each other their question and listen to the answer. Then after about a min.or so, tell people to rotate so they can ask the next person their question and answer a different question.
roo is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs.EastCoast

"Something You Don't Know About Me ..."
Old 07-22-2006, 06:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have always loved this. You learn some neat things!

And, I always liked, "Tell the Truth." You tell three things about yourself, one of which is false. Your class has to guess what's the truth and what's not.
Mrs.EastCoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie2

Thanks
Old 07-23-2006, 09:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You guys are such a big help! Thank you
Jackie2 is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

find your partner
Old 07-23-2006, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I was in a science workshop last month and we had to find our partner. There were film canisters and each had something inside it. There were sets of three that contained the same thing. By only shaking and listening, you had to find the other one or two that matched yours. Interesting way to create groups if you're working. Also quiet, because you really had to listen to the sound. Inside were things like beads, paperclips, rice, beans, stones.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote