How to rotate centers/guided reading groups? - ProTeacher Community

iteach4th

How to rotate centers/guided reading groups?
Old 07-22-2006, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Please help....I posted on the "Center" board, but I think more of you will see it here. Please help me decide how to do my centers!

I have experience with centers/guided reading groups, but every year I have difficulty getting a rotation going in my 4th grade classroom. Please help me with your opinions and experiences...

*Are your center groups ability grouped?

*How many centers per day?

*How many students per group?

*Do you use centers each day?

*How do you decide how often you'll meet with each group per week for a guided reading lesson?

*Do you have a "management board" that tells the students which center to go to or do they have a choice?

Thanks so much, in advance, for any help you can offer. I have tons of books on the subject, but I'd love to hear from teachers in the "real world". I'll look forward to your responses!

iteach4th is offline   Reply With Quote

Stefanie

Reading Centers
Old 07-22-2006, 08:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I can e-mail you some information that has been shared with me if you would like. If so, send me your e-mail address. Last year I was not able to do centers in my classroom due to the make up of my students. I had serious behavior issues! Let me know if I can help!

Stefanie
Stefanie is offline   Reply With Quote

Brejay100

Guided Reading/Centers
Old 07-23-2006, 11:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Last year I did guided reading/centers daily. To answer your questions, my I grouped my kids by ability, they went to one center per day, there were 2 no more that 3 students per group(for centers), I met with each group daily, and I had a management board posted on the board.
At the beginning of the year, I broke my students up in groups based on ability. I had 3 groups (high, medium, low). I would always start off my guided reading groups with the low group because they needed the most time with me. While I was meeting with the low group(or group 1 as I called them), group 2 would go to centers, and group 3 would do seatwork.After I was done with group 1, group 2 would come to the table, group 1 would go do seatwork, and group 3 would go to centers. On the last rotation, group 3 came to the table, group 1 went to centers, and group 2 did seatwork. Each week I had 4 to five centers depending on the difficulty of the center. The students would rotate to the centers daily. I had a management chart posted on the board ao that they could check to see which center they were going to on that particular day. Friday would be make-up day for centers if you were absent or didn't get a chance to finish it during the week. At the end of reading on Friday, I collected all center assignments. It worked really well, the sub was even able to do it with no problems. If would like to see how my management board looks I could email it to you.
Brejay100 is offline   Reply With Quote

SciLady

Brejay...
Old 07-23-2006, 04:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'd love to see a copy of your management poster as well if you'd be willing to share. Thanks!
SciLady is offline   Reply With Quote

Brejay100

Management
Old 07-23-2006, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Give me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Brejay100 is offline   Reply With Quote

AngelCat21

I would love to see your plan
Old 07-23-2006, 07:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I teach third, but would love to see your plans, Brejay100. Also, what were your centers? Were they open ended or did you have to come up with the activity each week? Thanks!

leighann612@yahoo.com
AngelCat21 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherCarrie

Old 07-24-2006, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

*Are your center groups ability grouped? Yes

*How many centers per day? There are about 5, but they have about 45 minutes to complete them at their own speed.

*How many students per group? About 5 to 6

*Do you use centers each day? Yes

*How do you decide how often you'll meet with each group per week for a guided reading lesson? The curriculum we use has so much to it, that I need to meet with them every day...but only for about 15 minutes each day.

*Do you have a "management board" that tells the students which center to go to or do they have a choice? I have a management board...actually list...but they choose what order they go in.
TeacherCarrie is offline   Reply With Quote

SciLady

Brejay 100
Old 07-24-2006, 08:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I'll message to you my email. Thanks! SciLady
SciLady is offline   Reply With Quote

stephanie

Centers
Old 07-24-2006, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Are your center groups ability grouped? Yes and no. I do literature circles with my groups so the members of a group must be reading at close to the same level so that they can all participate in the discussions. However, one week a month we read stories from our basal (at my school we are supposed to use the basal because they cost too much money to leave them in a closet). During this week, I mix my groups just to give some variety.

How many centers per day? I do not really use centers, I use a rotation system. One rotation they are in rading group, one rotation they are silent reading and responding in their response journal, one rotation they are reading and responding to their literature circle assignment, and on the days that I do not meet with their group (I meet with each group 3-4 times per week - higher groups, 3 - lower groups, 4) they do go to centers. I have a writing center where they practice whatever skills we are working on in writing (sometimes grammar skills), a file folder center, a fluency center (where they practice reading fluently from small passages), and a computer/listening center (they can either work on the computer or listen to a basal story on tape). I do not grade centers, but I do grade the writing that they do in their response journals and their work for their literature circle groups.

How do you decide how often you'll meet with each group per week for a guided reading lesson? I usually let my schedule dictate this. I try to meet with my low kids at least 4 times per week, but I also try to keep my group sizes very small so that I can give individual help. I like to meet with my groups for 25-30 minutes on the days I meet with them so that I can do more in depth work with them.

Do you have a management board? Yes. I have tried it without and the kids get too confused and I find that they are doing the wrong things and not getting the things finished that they are supposed to.
stephanie is offline   Reply With Quote
MrsRowell2nd

MrsRowell2nd

Old 07-27-2006, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would love to have a copy of your centers management board as well. Please send to cmw1218@bellsouth.net if you are still able to. Thanks so much!

lov2teach2

Management Poster
Old 07-29-2006, 08:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I would love to see this also. My e-mail address is karengkelley@msn.com. Thanks!
lov2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

lov2teach2

Reading Centers
Old 07-29-2006, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I would also love a copy of how you do this. My e-mail address is karengkelley@msn.com. Thanks
lov2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

cinaminsweet

Brejay100
Old 07-29-2006, 08:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Can you email it to me also? My email is cinaminsweet@aol.com. Thanks!
cinaminsweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Newark Teach

Newark Teach

Old 08-18-2006, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I would love to see your management chart if you don't mind emailing it to me.

Thanks!
erikalum@hotmail.com

Marie

Me too, please!
Old 08-18-2006, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Brejay, I'd love to see how your managment board looks. My email is marbowens@hotmail.com
Thanks so much!
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Leaheyclan

Old 09-03-2006, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I am a new 5th grade teacher and would love to see your management board. My email address is Leaheyclan@cox.net

Thanks,
Melissa
Leaheyclan is offline   Reply With Quote
TrishaApj

TrishaApj

center management chart
Old 08-24-2008, 06:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I would love to see your management chart if you are willing to email it to me.

Thanks!
fiveheartsin1@bellsouth.net
VLD

VLD

Old 09-02-2008, 12:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I would love to see your rotation chart.
tshortie

tshortie

teacherof1st
Old 10-10-2008, 12:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Hello there - I teach first grade and center management is always a problem for me. I am interested to see a copy of your management board. It seems like a no brainer and really easy to manage once the students are accustomed to the routine. My email is tcobb@hbgsd.k12.pa.us. Thank you so much in advance!

stormluvr

Old 10-10-2008, 03:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I, too, would love to see your chart!

nan99@comcast.net

Thanks
stormluvr is offline   Reply With Quote