My school system just got Aesop - help - ProTeacher Community

mygirlkristi

mygirlkristi

My school system just got Aesop - help
Old 01-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've been a sub in the same district for two years. I love it there so much and have a strong bond with the kids and staff. My children are young and attend this same school. I have been fortunate enough to work 3-4 days a week for the past two years.

But this week our school system went to Aesop - and I fear I will never get work now. So far - no calls to my home. I think the jobs are being snarfed up online quicker than anything. I keep logging in to look for jobs - but so far I have only seen 3 total jobs pop up. Obviously I must be missing them somehow.

As subs, we were given a very simple letter. I am wondering if there is a preferred sub list? Do the preferred subs see the online job first? Or does every sub on the whole list see the listing and it's a free for all? I don't get the feeling that the district is going to tell me this information - so I thought I would ask here. Can anyone help fill in the blanks for me? What is the best way to be sure I still get to work?

Luv2TeachK-6

Old 01-08-2009, 02:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I work in three districts that use AESOP, and this year I can definitely say that I haven't seen a lot of assignments online either. As far as preferred lists, it depends on your district. One of the districts I work with doesn't have a list (although they say they wish they did). Another has a list, but they cannot put in specific subs (although they wish they could). Yet another doesn't have a list, but they can put in specific subs. Maybe you should contact the schools that you have subbed with the most and let them know that you are still available- perhaps leave a business card or something?? You could ask them what their AESOP situation is. Since it is new for them, maybe they are still working out the kinks. It wouldn't hurt to contact the teachers that you have frequently subbed for.
Luv2TeachK-6 is offline   Reply With Quote

mygirlkristi

Old 01-08-2009, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Are you saying that most of the time it is more common to get a phone call with Aesop? I haven't been called at all - it is week 1 - but still - that isn't normal for me.

Or are you more saying that it is just a free for all - and almost impossible to get any jobs in districts with Aesop?

Honestly, I am so upset. I have loved being in this school - and I was called almost every day before this (when a human did the calling). I can't open myself up to other districts right now because my kids are small and the start times don't jive.

I was a regular - and I have my heart and soul in that school. This whole situation has me so upset. I am working today - but only because I somehow found the job online. I am going to try and ask some questions - but I know I really feel like the district isn't giving the subs much information.
mygirlkristi is offline   Reply With Quote

yoohoo

Old 01-08-2009, 08:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

if it's a new system for the district then yeah....they're still working out the kinks...there was a district that I worked in that recently switched over to AESOP and MANNN the glitches that kept popping up...

let's see: days assigned that the teacher forgot to remove; putting in more days and having the teacher forget that they already have a long term sub for the class; putting in days for holidays.... that really happened to me

as far as preferred list (it all depends on the district) it can be any one of the situations you described...one district has a preferred list; one doesn't

a good program that I use here on the computer is called "refresher";
it automatically "refreshes" the page at a certain interval

http://www.myrefresher.com/

=====this might doom my chances of getting jobs faster than anybody else YIKES!!!!

check it out; I didn't install the program my DH did....and it works with the AESOP screen
yoohoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Luv2TeachK-6

Old 01-08-2009, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

mygirlkristi-In my situation, I found more assignments online last year than I have this year. In the past I found everything online, but a phone call is not out of the question. I have also heard that there is an influx of subs this year where I am at.

This is my second year, and most of the assignments I've had so far were teachers who requested me. I wouldn't get discouraged about it though. Call the school and see what is going on. I called one of the schools I am with and asked if I was still in good standing with them when I felt I wasn't seeing or hearing about any assignments. They said yes, everything was ok and I felt much better. Do you have business cards made so that you can drop them off at the schools??

mygirlkristi

Old 01-08-2009, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

No, I don't have business cards, but I guess I could make some. I mean - these teachers all know me as up until now - I've always worked there 4-5 days a week. I work only at one school really - 99% anyway.

I was there today working and I was asking some questions about this whole thing. From what I was told - in order for the teacher to select a sub using Aesop - the teacher would have to call me at home or on my cell - then enter my home phone number (my ID) into the system. I mean - come ON. Teachers do not have time to call me or other subs trying to arrange for the right person! To me, that is just ridiculous and totally outrageous.

Before this, there was a woman who scheduled all the subs - and the teachers just told her who they wanted - and she was great about being fair to everyone and trying to be accomodating.

It seems now in order for me to ever get a job - I have to be sitting at my PC the moment the job is posted - otherwise - forget it. The jobs are gone in moments.

The thing that angers me is that I know every child in this school - I know the teachers - I know the routines - I have my heart invested in this school. And it isn't fair, in my opinion, that someone from three counties away can just take a job there knowing NADA about our school and having zero background. Aesop seems very unfair to subs that have worked hard to make a name for themselves in a district.

MikeRocode

Teachers will if they want you...
Old 01-08-2009, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"...Teachers do not have time to call me"

Teachers really HATE to hand over their class to anonymous subs. They would rather get a person they know and have had experience with.

(...just go check out the "VENT" board on this web site and ask the question there to see what kind of "horror stories" they have about the first timer subs they had )

Even though the school districts around here use an automated sub system, most of my assignments are direct requests from the school secretary or teachers directly. They contact me either by phone or email asking if or when I'm available.

They still have to post it on the system, but they can post it as "taken" just to get an assignment number.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

Sparklesub

Old 01-08-2009, 04:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My district too used Aesop. But in our district the teachers and/or school secretary usually calls the subs they know and use frequently first, and only if they can't get one of their usual subs do they put it on Aesop. I havent seen many jobs posted on Aesop at all this school year. I will get the occassional phone call from Aesop early in the morning for a same day job but most o fmy jobs come at me ahead of time so I usually know my schedule a week or two in advance.
I would advise to talk to the school or maybe the teachers you know well and let them know you are very interested in subbing for them. If they are able to input their own subs on Aesop then reminding them that you want to sub for them might help alot. But I know sometimes teachers aren't give the opportunity to pick their subs. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you. Aesop seems to work differently in every single district!!
In our district (smaller town so only one district) there has been a huge burst of people wanting to sub because of the economy so work might becoming more and more slim.
Sparklesub is offline   Reply With Quote

jiminva

The system can direct assign
Old 01-08-2009, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just received as assignment through Aesop for next Thursday. The teacher requested me and the notice of the job came by email, direct from the Aesop system. The job will never appear on the job screen. I suspect that many of the positions are filled in this manner. In our district/county the schools all have preferred lists and many of the requests are done by the teachers themselves, not by a person in the office.
jiminva is offline   Reply With Quote

Bananabucksub

Sounds like Subfinder. .
Old 01-08-2009, 05:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I don't know if it is but it does sound like subfinder. I check the Subfinder on the internet MANY times a day on the weekend. My husband also helps me to try and get jobs. I got a three day assignment this week by checking subfinder. I had to click on accept several times before I got it but I keep doing it until I DO get it. Another sub on another board has suggested calling several times a day to get one but I prefer doing that on the internet.
Bananabucksub
Bananabucksub is offline   Reply With Quote

mygirlkristi

Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I'm going to send am email to the teachers. I feel I have no other choice.

It is making me almost crazy having to sit around and hit "refresh" on my PC browser all the time. It may sound dramatic, but the truth is that having to check for jobs 24/7 is taking away time from my family and causing me a lot of stress.

I can't understand how Aesop is a good idea, you know??? This way of hiring subs seems so much less desirable than having a human being fill the jobs.

sunshine*inc

Old 01-08-2009, 10:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

My main district uses Aesop. The teachers cannot assign a substitite to a job, so much of the time they will ask the office manager at the school to do. She has access to assign jobs to subs. Most of my assignments this year have been assigned to me by the office manager of my favorite school. She has my cell phone number stored in her cell phone, so she calls me from her home sometimes. The teachers in my district do have a preferred sub list. The system will call people on the list, but only 1 time. I've missed a call before so Aesop called someone else. I beleive that the assignment may simultaneously appear online. I was talking to a sub who received a call from Aesop on behalf of a teacher who has her on her preferred list who was unable to accept the assignment because at the end of the call when she tried she received a message which said "I'm sorry. I cannot assign this assignment to you." or something like that.
sunshine*inc is offline   Reply With Quote

mygirlkristi

Old 01-10-2009, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I worked on TH and F of last week. While I was there two other subs approached me for help with Aesop - they said that they keep searching the system but no jobs come up. I suppose they were asking me b/c I WAS always at the school. But I told them the same thing is happening to me too. Everytime I log onto Aesop - no jobs are available. And obviously - there are 7 schools here - certainly subs are needed.

Is it possible that many of our schools are simply circumventing the Aesop system?

I also spoke with several teachers who are furious that their classes were being handled by subs who don't know the kids - when they KNOW that there are 4-5 subs who do know the kids who aren't getting the jobs.

I want to speak with someone about all of this and find out what is happening or what I can do - but I don't know whom to ask.

I could go to my principal and just explain to her how it is going on the sub side of things - she may not know. It wasn't her choice to get this system, I know - but maybe she could act as an advocate if she knew what was going on?

There is an Aesop administrator - but I heard through the grapevine that she isn't very kind in general...great.

Help..
TA

TA

Aesop
Old 01-10-2009, 01:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Where I am, we use Substitute On-line.
There is a new Coordinator, but she does not like to do anything or be bothered.
In general the economy is bad, so there are more subs available.
The old coordinator would go out of her way to arrange jobs for you.
If you were always available she loved it.
The system seems to be an attempt to cut costs, and distribute the workload to a wide number of people.
Jobs are sporadic at best on a daily basis.
You almost have to be online 24/7 to find anything.
Try walking around and being visible so other teachers can notice you.
I have picked up jobs by people seeing me, and literally saying they want me to sub for them on a prearranged date.
Hang in there and be persistent.
This year has been slow at times, however if you are visible I think this increases your luck.

Hope this helps.........

wnlbutterfly

Old 01-11-2009, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I had heard that there are different AESOP levels...meaning it depends on what the school paid for to how many options there are. First year there was no preferred sub list, but now they have upgraded to that. However most the times when the email to alert of a posting (if you are on that teacher's preferred list)one of other subs have picked it up.

A few of the schools here just go around the system. They can check to see if you are free (they will usually call too), and then the secretaries just enter it directly. One school I was at a LOT last year got a new principal who now wants them to use AESOP like it is intended and guess what school is getting all the new subs? I have worked 2 days there and that is it, but I have been busy with the other schools.

I don't think schools realize what it means for subs (and I don't think they would care either) that basically to get jobs via AESOP we need to be online or calling all the time. And that is a waste of our time we are suppose to be "off work". But not much you can do because there are some teachers that like not having to call their principal at 5:30am to get a sub.

When we first started the teachers would call and you would get online the same time they entered it into the system and that usually worked, but not always. Hang in there and don't give up. The teachers will get tired of having unknown subs and they will want to figure out how to get you back in the classroom.
wnlbutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote

mygirlkristi

Old 01-11-2009, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I keep thinking...how is it best for the children to get all new subs in each week??

For example, I just now happened to pick up a job via the system at an elementary school in my district that I have not subbed at previously.

I'm thrilled to have the job - but now I feel horribly guilty because I KNOW this school has a list of preferred subs (I am not one) and that is should have gotten this job!

I am a preferred sub at my home school - but it isn't doing me one dang bit of good. I am not getting calls - I have to constantly log in online! I am living my life logging into Aesop - it's just not fair. And I can only imagine what the teachers think with different subs parading through each week...

Has anyone out there actually had a good experience with this system?

MikeRocode

You have to start somewhere...
Old 01-11-2009, 11:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

"...school has a list of preferred subs"

Every single sub on that list started as first timer. Don't worry about it, just get the job and do it.

Soon you'll be on preferred lists and be able to gripe about all the newbie's getting all the prime assignments.
MikeRocode is offline   Reply With Quote

mygirlkristi

Old 01-12-2009, 02:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I think you misunderstood my point.

That's just what I mean right now - I AM on the preferred list at the school I have worked for the past two years - and it does not seem to matter. That is exactly my problem - I'm now relegated to accepting jobs at a school across town because some newbie off the street is getting the jobs I should have. I hate this Aesop system - it does not seem to consider which subs are preferred and which are not.

Every time I log into the Aesop system - no matter what the time of day - I get a message that says "all jobs are currently filled." In a system our size - I do not understand that. I highly suspect that many of our schools must be circumventing the system. There is no other explanation. I got up just now at 5:30 to start looking - and again I got a notice that all jobs are filled. I get that at any time of day that I look.

I have had to spend the past week tied to my PC to get any jobs at all - and I can't continue to do that. I can't continue to sacrifice time with my family just to hunt for sub jobs on Aesop.

I truly feel this Aesop system is going to mean the end of my days as a sub - and that is so sad to me.

Last edited by mygirlkristi; 01-12-2009 at 03:51 AM..
TA

TA

Aesop
Old 01-12-2009, 11:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Substitute on-line operates a lot like Aesop.
The Teacher can put you in as his/her preferred Substitute.
He/She can prearrange for you to take a job with your permission.
Each school's secretary can also prearrange you into the system for jobs. Each school can block unwanted substitues.
They can also request you, so you will get an e-mail saying you have been requested for the job.
You then go on-line to pickup the job.
The only drawback is sometimes you don't see it until it is too late,
it then goes to any and everybody.
My advice is to be vey visible and known by the staff and front offices.
The online jobs are few and far between, and many times when they do appear they are the most difficult jobs left.

mygirlkristi

Old 01-12-2009, 01:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I think you're right in saying that the online jobs are few and far between - I think most in my district are being placed by the office staff.

In fact, I KNOW that is true at most of the schools. But it is NOT happening at my home school!!!! What do I do about that part? It seems that my home school is the ONLY school that isn't prearranging subs. I want to somehow approach someone about it - but I do not know exactly what to say.

I would love some advice. Not to be dramatic - but my heart is breaking that I am not at this school like I once was. I am so sad.

Thanks for listening.

Luv2TeachK-6

Old 01-12-2009, 01:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

You HAVE to approach the secretaries or building principals about it- or even the HR rep for this district. This is your job- it isn't a volunteer position. Just call and ask what is going on and let them know that you are available. Chances are that by letting them know you are available an opportunity should arise where you can talk about your concerns.

mygirlkristi

Old 01-13-2009, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I guess I am scared that if I speak up I may be seen as a whiney complainer - and thus banned from sub jobs. Could that happen? I mean, they know me there - but I have never been a complainer. But I miss my job so much. I miss the kids...

Vickiann03

Aesop
Old 01-13-2009, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

My school district uses AESOP, and yes...it is a free for all. AESOP does allow the teacher to choose a sub berfore they put it up for grabs though. Just contact all your teachers that you have subbed for and tell them to enter your name first before they put it in the "grab bag."
Vickiann03 is offline   Reply With Quote