Christmas Program??? - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

MusicTeach

Christmas Program???
Old 10-26-2005, 10:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I need ideas on having a christmas program for my k-2 students. It is my first year and apparently the elementary Christmas program is a big deal at this school. Does anyone have any ideas that they have done or seen that worked well? Thanks for your time.

MusicTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

program
Old 10-26-2005, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I used to be in charge of the third grade Christmas program at my old school. We always used programs by Teresa Jennings. She writes very user friendly programs. You buy the package & get a CD with vocals for practicing & then just the music for the actual performances, student books, & a teacher guide. You will get simple costume & scenery ideas. Most of the programs have small speaking parts in between the songs. They all have a theme. Check it out, do a web search or look at the following link:
http://www.musick8.com/store/alphade...ductgroup=1588

Now we just have the different grades sing Christmas Carols & the kids wear red & green. Cute too but not as imaginative. If you want a big program look for Teresa Jennings.
Teach 5 is offline   Reply With Quote

judyf

holiday program
Old 10-26-2005, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What about kids that don't celebrate Christmas?
judyf is offline   Reply With Quote

MusicTeach

Thank you!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much for the information. I am going to check out that website now! Thanks again!

MusicTeach

Old 10-27-2005, 08:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There is a Christmas program every year. I only have two students who don't celebrate holidays, so they won't participate. This program is a very big deal in our small community and they look forward to it every year.

judyf

Question re: program
Old 10-27-2005, 06:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

When you say those kids won't participate - what will they do when the others are "participating?" Do they not celebrate any holidays or just not Christmas?
judyf is offline   Reply With Quote

cH

Christmas program
Old 10-28-2005, 03:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Try the Music K-8 link as Teach5 suggested.We don't do Christmas programs in my school, but anything by Teresa Jennings is great! If you haven't become acquainted with the Plank Road materials yet, including the Music K-8 magazine/CD's, the informative home page, the Idea Bank, and the music-teachers' listserve, check it out.

I almost missed your post and only saw it when I checked for "all new posts." There is an ARTS board included as a subheading of the SUBJECTS board. It's not very active, but perhaps music teachers are checking it and just finding nothing to which they can respond.
cH is offline   Reply With Quote
JoAnne K

JoAnne K

Music Educator
Old 10-29-2005, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

HI! I saw your email. Music K-8 has wonderful resources for all grade levels. You can find them at www.musick-8.com.
I have used Christmas Makes Me Sing from Music K-8. Raffi's "He'll Be Comin" Down the Chimney" and "Must Be Santa" are also hits with the little ones.
You could also use Jingle Bells with at least some of your students actuallly playing jingles bells on the refrain.
A few years ago, I also wrote a short poem as a choral speech. You are welcome to use it if you like.
Christmas, Hannukah, Kwanzaa, too.
We hope the holidays are happy for you!
We hope you eat some cookies and some candy canes.
We hope you see it snowing-outside your window panes.
We hope share some laughter and sing a song or two.
Yes, we hope the holidays are happy for you!!

Music K-8 also has archives with many resources and teaching ideas.
Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

JoAnne Kucerak
email jkucerak@uticaschools.org
deeptoot

deeptoot

Old 11-07-2005, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

try and have k-1 sing deck the halls and have the 2nd graders dance to a song
Miss Wilson

Miss Wilson

question...
Old 11-27-2005, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I teach music in a small community as well. I'm required to do a Christmas program for K-5th grade every year. This is my second year and I'm a little stressed out. I split them into 2 grades so K-1st grade will be singing, then 2nd-3rd and so on. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to costuming for different groups? There are 350 kids total....it's crazy. If you have any ideas, I would be more than grateful to hear them. Thanks!!!!!! My e-mail address is kdwilson16@hotmail.com.
jofun54

jofun54

teacher
Old 12-11-2006, 11:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

sing along powerpoints work good if the whole school knows the songs
SVB

SVB

Elem. Music Teacher
Old 11-18-2008, 04:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Relax!!! I've been doing this for years. Keep it simple!!!!!! Remember it's all about the parents! Parents come to see their child and only their child. Do you have children? If so, who do you watch when you go and see thier programs? I have 600 students split by two schools. 300 in each. I put two classes on stage at a time/if necessary three. Each group sings two familiar, traditional Christmas songs and then they're done. I usually have 5 groups. At the end of each program the students, teachers, and the audience all sing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas" together." I focus on showing control of my students. Some times it's more about how they look on stage than how they sound. I focus on volume and discipline on stage. I let the piano carry the tune. I have a piano accompianist. I never play and direct at the same time. Too easy to lose control. My students put their hands behind their backs and are only allowed to look at me when they sing. At the end of each group they bow and then can wave or wink at mom or dad or whoever. I add small props such as bells for "Jingle Bells" or "Jinlge Bell Rock" and snowman hats for "Frosty." I even had lei's for "Mele Kalikimaka." All my music is from the Reader's Digest Music books. They are kid friendly and easy to play. My parents, administration, and community love this simple approach. Yes it's a ton of work and stress! But...it's good stress and you are creating lifelong memories.

Good Luck,

Sue
JDR

JDR

Old 11-18-2008, 06:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Don't get so uptight!! If they don't celebrate Christmas then it's their right not to participate or not to even come 2 school for that matter.