Literature Circles in 1st grade?Role sheets - ProTeacher Community

Last Chance to Enter!

alimen

Literature Circles in 1st grade?Role sheets
Old 01-11-2009, 11:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use literature circles in first grade. I am looking for age appropriate role sheets and am only finding ones that would be best for upper grades....

Thanks!!!

alimen is offline   Reply With Quote

JLo

here is where I found mine...
Old 01-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I also teach first grade...
http://www.busyteacherscafe.com/teac...re_circles.htm
JLo is offline   Reply With Quote

alimen

JLo
Old 01-11-2009, 04:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for getting back to me...I clicked on that link...and when I got inside, and clicked on the link for the Role sheets, none of them would open. Did you happen to save them on your computer at all?

Thanks so much!
alimen is offline   Reply With Quote

JLo

try these...
Old 01-11-2009, 06:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

http://www.abcteach.com/directory/ba...ature_circles/

I don't have them on my home computer, but these are similiar. I put the different jobs in different notebooks and made 100 copies of the sheets. The kids can look back and reflect on others and what they wrote. Really easy and the kids love them! When I get to school tomorrow I will look for my originals! Good luck and hope this helps!
JLo is offline   Reply With Quote

calecolts1

Old 01-12-2009, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

These all seem too high for first graders, does anyone have roles that are better for primary? The one web site doesn't allow anything to be opened but the content looks great!

calecolts1 is offline   Reply With Quote

sundaisy

response cards
Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have seen teachers in lower primary grades use response cards for their literature circles. After a picture book is read, each student draws a card from a basket. The cards say different things and have a visual cue that goes with them. I think they say things like PICK 3 WORDS, DRAW A PICTURE, RETELL THE STORY, things like that. Same info basically off role sheets for upper elem. students. Of course, you have to explain what the activities are for each card before you do this. They have time to do the work off their response card. Then they come together to share their information at a meeting. Same idea as literature circles with older students, just more age appropriate. Actually, I have done this with my 4-5th graders occasionally and they love it.
sundaisy is offline   Reply With Quote

calecolts1

Old 01-14-2009, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Thanks, what great ideas. I had an upper teacher tell me that she thought Literature Circles would be too difficult for Primary students but your idea's sound great as a start. I wonder if there is anyone out there that has done this with the high reading little kids? If so, could you pass on any tips to go along with the ones already said here?
calecolts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
MarinoK

MarinoK

1st grade teacher wanting to try lit circles
Old 02-01-2009, 06:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

hey,
i've read everyone's responses and am interested in trying literature circles. i also found some good roles for primary students i will copy and paste below.
my questions are:
1. Do you group the students by reading ability?
2. If not, how do you support your emergent readers without making them stand out as the ones who need "extra" help?

I have 7 students who can read Junie B., Cam Jansen, etc... 5 students who are emergent readers, 1 nonreader, and 8 who are somewhere in the middle.

-----------------------------------------------

Discussion Director
Name _______________________________ ____
Write four to six questions about what you have just read. These questions will be used for group discussion during the next reading session. Think about the question helpers in the box below.
Who? What? Where? When? Why? How?
Details? Inferred? What if? Opinion?
I feel that this is the easiest job for the children to learn. I usually model it after reading the first chapter to the children. I have found that they gradually develop quite interesting questions. I like turning the discussion over to them during the next meeting. It has promoted some wonderful discussions within our group.

Wild and Crazy Word Finder
Name ___________________________
Find four to six interesting, powerful or tricky words from today's reading. Write them below along with the page number. Use flags to mark those words. You will be asked to share those words during our next guided reading meeting.

______________________________ Page ___________
This is a good job to encourage the children to explore new words. Often at this level, they do not want to admit that they don't know a word, or don't know the meaning of it. I use this time to expand their vocabulary or to track words that they might want to use in their writing. Of course, I can always use this to teach decoding strategies: (root words, prefixes, dictionary skills, etc.) They really really really like using the neon colored post-it flags that are being made now, too!

Selection Director
Name _____________________
Pick the most interesting part to read to your group during our next guided reading meeting.
Book Title: _______________________________ ___________
Pages to read: _______________________________ ________
Today's Date: _______________________________ _________
Why I chose this part:
The kids love this job. They always want to read to the group and they have learned to give some creative answers as to why they chose a certain part. I encourage them to choose parts that are important to the story. (By important, I tell them that the story would change if you left that part out.)

Art Director
Name __________________________
Use the back of this paper to draw a picture of what happened in today's reading for the group. Be sure to include details from the story in your picture.
Title _______________________________ ________
What I included in my drawing and why I included it:
This was fairly self-explanatory. It is always interesting to hear the details that they choose to include. It's funny how the times we have done this that they often come up with many of the same ideas!

Connector Director
Name ____________________________
How is this book like real life? Find a way to connect what you read today, to something that might happen, or has happened in real life.
This one takes a good bit of explaining. After modeling and discussing what a connection is, they are able to do this. After they do this job two or three times, they get better at it. It is fun for them to use this in historical fiction. (Molly's Pilgrim, etc.)
DeanaJ.

DeanaJ.

first grade teacher
Old 02-13-2009, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I teach first grade and I just decided to make up my own jobs: Character Collector (draws the main characters), Vocabulary Enricher (writes down unfamiliar words and gets definition), Problem Finder (illustrates the main characters problem), Solution Searcher (illustrates the solution to the problem), Travel Chaser (draws the settings).

sherrij

Literature Circles with the little ones
Old 02-14-2009, 06:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have found literature circles to be very exciting with first and second graders. All you need to do is differentiate accordingly. The role descriptions mentioned by a previous post work well. Some groups will need more guidance than others. Some of my parent volunteers have also enjoyed the experience. It has opened their eyes to more enjoyable reading discussions with their own children at home.

Remember that you can walk students through the jobs first as a whole class. Read a story together and then have the whole class experience being the Crazy or Wacky Word Finder. Go through each job. Have students share. Pace your class as necessary.
Remember that you can also vary the source that students document their reflections on.
sherrij is offline   Reply With Quote

sherrij

Story Retell
Old 02-14-2009, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I frequently use this Graphic Organizer for retell.

On a half of a sheet of posterboard presented in a potrait posistion, glue 5 (different colored, if handy) sentence strips, sized accordingly, one below the other with a space in between. On the 5 strips write each of the following sequentially:

Somebody

Wanted

But

So

Then

For example: Somebody is Cinderella....

Cinderella Wanted to go to the ball to meet the prince, But she didn't have anything to wear, So she cleaned and cleaned. Then her fairy godmother showed up, made her a beautiful gown and sent her off to the ball.

Use another character from the story.....

The evil stepmother wanted one of her daughters to marry the prince, So she didn't allow Cinderella to go to the ball, but the fairy god mother showed up, so Cinderella went to the ball and the prince fell in love with her.
sherrij is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

lit circles
Old 02-14-2009, 08:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Our first grades are also going in the direction of literature circles/book clubs. I am only in the beginning stages.

One question I have is how do you get students to find definitions for story vocabulary. I have several children's dictionaries and encyclopedias, but my students have a very hard time finding the vocabulary in them.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote