Help

ARCHIVE

homework packet ideas

>

Tricialee

homework packet ideas
Old 07-24-2006, 06:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have any ideas on what to send home for homework that will meet the purpose of sending homework home but at the same time, conserves paper and correcting time???

Tricialee is offline   Reply With Quote

SFteacher

Homework Idea
Old 07-24-2006, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our second grade team makes a grade level homework... usually about 12-15 pages copied front to back. There is a weekly assignment schedule as a cover sheet. Students are given hw on Friday and expected to return it the following Friday. One of my parent volunteers checks off the homework and writes notes regarding each child's HW in the folder. Obviously, I choose a trustworthy parent and stress the importance of confidentiality, etc., etc. This works really well and I'm able to refer back to my HW folder easily during report card/ conference time.
SFteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

LizB

Old 07-25-2006, 02:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I usually only assign reading, spelling and math on any given night. I like to send book work for math so I don't have to waste my limited copies on homework. As for correcting the kids do that themselves. The first part of the morning is reserved for correcting homework with red pens and then they have to correct mistakes at the end of the math lesson. I don't grade homework, just check that it was done or not. If I send home reading homework that requires any response on paper, they don't have math work and we do the same with the reading homework. Spelling is also just given a once over for being done and any major mistakes that need to be corrected.
LizB is offline   Reply With Quote

IMSaved2

Homework Packets/Morning Work
Old 07-25-2006, 03:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Each of my cooperating teachers had a method that I will try to describe:

One teacher used a weekly SMILE packet (Student Managed Independent Learning Environment). The student was allowed to work on the packet during SMILE time only, unless otherwise told. The SMILE activities included: DOL, DA (Have to activities); Preview a story, write a prediction in the response journal and then read the story as assigned. Complete the activity/guided reading worksheet that corresponds to the book (CMT formatted questions, worksheets). Each SMILE packet has a grading rubric for students to self-score and the teacher to score. Assessment is based on organizational skills, time management skills, completion of work, and quality of work. After they finish their work, they could work on their writing, SSR, extra challenges, computer time (website suggestions given).

My other cooperating teacher used a weekly homework packet with a cover sheet indicating which assignments were due when. Typically, Monday thru Thursday she would assign a math page or problem or game and the student had to read a book to or with a grown-up. She would offer challenge homework packets for those who needed more, asking them to complete 1-2 additional pages each night and turn in the whole packet when done.

Note: One issue is trying to correct everything at once.

Bell work books are another interesting method I've seen. At the beginning of each month, students are given a calendar - every other day is marked with a writing prompt. The alternating days are marked "Folder". Writing prompts were to be completed in a designated writing journal. Folder work included copies of pre-made or handmade worksheets reinforcing skills already taught. There is also Independent Early Bird Morning Math worksheets (set up like a weekly calendar - days of week on left side and 8 columns across with problems in each box). Students have 5-8 math problems for the corresponding day of the week. Problems include the students names, making it more fun. Worksheets are identified as easy, average or challenging by the alphanumeric code in the top right corner. Work is corrected in class. Bell work books are collected on Fridays and returned on Monday.

I also know someone who keeps a binder with all homework answers up front so the students can check their answers themselves. I'm just thinking - Maybe a class job - someone who goes over answers with class?
IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Azure

homework
Old 07-25-2006, 04:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I send homework home Monday - Thursday nights. Everynight is a spelling sheet. Then I have a language arts page and a math page. I grade every paper I give the students. I teach 1st grade so there may be 4-5 math problems and 4 language arts problems. They also read a book everynight. The homework should take no longer than 10 - 15 minutes to complete. We are required to send it home.

Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
homework

homework

Old 07-25-2006, 11:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Every week I send home a list of spelling words and a home reading bag. The home reading bag has a selection of "just right" books that I expect the child to read to a family member, along with a reading log that I expect the parents to sign. At the beginning of the year I sent home a list of ways to practice spelling words and a list of ways to practice math facts.

Parents and children know that we will have a spelling test every Friday, math facts tests 2-3 times per week and that I will have a book chat with each child about one of the books in their reading bag.

There are no corrections or photocopies to do. I meet with children first thing in the morning to listen to them read/chat about their books, so it's an extra reading conference.

For me, this systems works out great. It's quick, easy, meaningful and routine, so that everyone knows what to expect. For parents who request extra homework for their child, I give them a list of ways to respond to books and a blank journal. I tell them that I'll look at any book projects that their child does and I'll read and discuss anything that their child writes. For people who insist on math worksheets, I'll usually give them a website address with printable worksheets and invite them to print some out for their child and then to correct them together.

I don't think that I'll ever do homework any other way.

a_chan

Old 07-25-2006, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We send home spelling in a spelling notebook. The kids have a list of about 20 activities they can do with their spelling words in the front of their notebook and each night they choose one activity to do and the notebook is checked in the morning.

Anybody have any ideas for math, though? I usually send home one sheet front to back for math. We can't make homework as a team because I teach accelerated math that is a mix of above grade level items as well.

They write the title of the book they read in their assignment book which can be checked (although I don't check it regularly since many of our kids don't have many books at home).

I also usually send home one reading passage with 2 or 3 comprehension questions or one writing sheet that I can just glance at when I come around in the morning.
a_chan is offline   Reply With Quote

bateacher2004

Homework Calendars
Old 08-08-2006, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

This year I am sending home homework calendars. Each day has an activity that the students need to complete for that day. For example, September 3 might say, write your name 5 times, Sept. 4 might say, Draw a picture of something that starts with the letter s... This is at the kindergarten level but it could be addapted. With the calendar you can use a spiral notebook. I tell my students they need to return the work every friday.
bateacher2004 is offline   Reply With Quote

trlawson

HW Packet
Old 08-11-2006, 07:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I send home a homework packet of 2 pages front and back for M-Th. It can be Math, reading, writing, etc. I send it on Monday and it has to be returned on Friday or before. The kids love it and I have had great feedback from parents. All week they have their spelling words to practice too.
trlawson is offline   Reply With Quote