literature circle books - ProTeacher Community

love5th

literature circle books
Old 01-24-2009, 02:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was wondering if any 5th grade teachers have suggestions for literature circle books. Does anyone already have a list of books and themes to use with them at different levels (ie American Revolution is the topic and 3-4 titles that are 4-6 grade) I am trying think of them but getting very overwhelmed. Our district used to have chapter books for us, but then they purchased a new text basal and made us give them back so we wouldn't use them. Now after 2 years they realize that is not effective to force us to only use basals and we are allowed to do literature circles again...but no books! I do have a few from Scholastic 6 packs, but they are just random books and no themes. Thanks!

love5th is offline   Reply With Quote

cptjway

Lit circle themes
Old 01-24-2009, 04:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I LOVE using a theme for lit circles, because when the groups are finished, we can do Jigsaw or other sharing activities. I usually do a related read aloud before, so I can model new vocab, issues, etc.

Some themes I use, and the books (arranged from low to high):

Rev War: Revolutionary War on Wednesday, Annie and the Stranger, Johnny Tremain (the Disney movie is fun!) and the Hollow Tree (from the point of view of a Loyalist). [I can't think of the read aloud!]

Time Travel (great prompt for ethical discussions): any Time Warp Trio book, Honus and Me, Time Bike, Door in the Lake and the Power of Un
I read Traveling Backwards

Prejudice: The Gold Cadillac, Joey Pigza Swallowed the Key, Bandit Moon, Bud Not Buddy, and Number the Stars. Read Aloud: The Cay

I also do an author study for lit circles. This could include William Steig, Roald Dahl or Andrew Clements.

Hope this helps!
cptjway is offline   Reply With Quote