November/Thanksgiving bulletin board - ProTeacher Community

haelyn79

haelyn79

November/Thanksgiving bulletin board
Old 10-27-2005, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

In our school, we have a big bulletin board in the main hallway. A different teacher is responsible for it each month. November is my turn. Any ideas?

firstgrade951

I'm thankful for
Old 10-28-2005, 09:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We did this for last year's bulletin board:
A huge tree trunk and limbs in brown paper + large cut out patterns of different colored leaves. Each child wrote "I am thankful for....." This was done by all First Graders. I would add photos of the children near their leaf if doing it again.
firstgrade951 is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach 5

November BB
Old 10-29-2005, 07:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also am in charge of the hallway BB in November. Two years ago I attached a basket cornucopia with canned good labels flowing out of it. It said, "We CAN make a Difference!" We were sponsoring a canned good drive. I used those strands of fake fall leaves that you can buy at craft stores for a border.

Last year I taught the kids how to do word art on the computer and had them print out "thank-you" in many languages. We put them around a globe picture. We searched the web for the languages, there are several sites that show them.

This year I plan on putting up the words "Count Your Blessings" and add rainbow colored words that say things like friends, family, books, sports, art, music, pets, etc. with a rainbow border. You could have your students suggest the words. I am again using the Word Art program since it is something I need to teach my students how to use.

I just got tired of the traditional turkey, pilgrim ideas.
Teach 5 is online now   Reply With Quote

iteach4th

bb
Old 10-29-2005, 12:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How about....

"Fall" Into a Good Book! I had the students write their favorite book title on a book cutout and decorate it. They then sponge painted big leaves and wrote a sentence or two about their favorite book on the inside. I put a big tree trunk with the leaves falling out of the tree. The book cutouts were all on the ground. It turned out real cute!
iteach4th is offline   Reply With Quote

istoleahalo

Old 10-30-2005, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Or, if you do want to go with the traditional turkey: GOBBLE UP A GOOD BOOK

make a turkey with a tail out of men's ties.

istoleahalo is offline   Reply With Quote

BetsyC

Top 10 List
Old 10-31-2005, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I always love doing this display at Thanksgiving. Title your board "Top 10 Reasons for Eating Ham." Give each student a few nights to come up with a few reasons and record them on Thanksgiving themed paper. In class have students read their reasons out loud while you record them on the board. (You can do all of them or have each student choose his/her favorite to share.) Now have the students vote on their favorite reasons. Take the ten reasons that received the most votes and copy them on a lage sheet of paper. Have some of your best artists illustrate the paper. In the hallway post the top 10 chart and then around it post the work done by individual students on Thanksgiving paper. The first year I did this was the best. My class was so creative! They illustrated a large turkey holding a leash with a pig on the other end. They also made little signs in the turkey's hands that said "Eat Ham."
BetsyC is offline   Reply With Quote

Gloria

Thanksgiving Idea
Old 11-01-2005, 09:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I do a " What are you thankful for?" and then have the kids use leaves to write down their choice
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Stacie Pugh

Stacie Pugh

Happy Fall Ya'll
Old 11-03-2005, 10:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

What I've done is put dark blue butcher paper on the entire board and then with light green butcher paper I went on the bottom and stapled that on then before I put it on completly I cut the paper in half making a hilly sceenery. Then I bought a scarecrow and put him on the left side with a fence I cut out of constuction paper the I took the dark green butcher paper and yellow construction paper and made corn stalks that I got out of the Oct./Nov. Mailbox, cut out a few crows and then I cut out a leavless tree and a big yellow moon large enough to cover from the bottom to the top put the tree on that, made some black owls put those on the tree branches had the crows flying, on the scarecrows arm and on and around the corn stalks. looks really cute. I got alot of compliments on it. Good Luck!
Jen B.

Jen B.

November Idea
Old 10-25-2008, 10:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I just found this idea online. Adapting it to third grade and simplifying it a bit. I have a big board too. Here it is..... I did this board as a follow up to a unit on similes and metaphors in a fifth grade class. I had the students write a short simile/metaphor poem about their favorite Thanksgiving food on a circle sized to fit inside small paper plates. I then cut out the circles and glued them to small Thanksgiving paper plates I bought at a dollar store. I used large pieces of construction paper to make place mats, which I had the children decorate with Thanksgiving stickers and stamps. I hot-glued the plates, along with plastic utensils and paper napkins and paper cups to the place mats to create individual table settings. I decorated the bulletin board to look like a table by covering it with a paper Thanksgiving theme tablecloth (I let the bottom edges hang down like a real table cloth would.) Then I arranged the place mats around the edge of the bulletin board so that it looked like a real table setting. In the center I put larger paper plates with pictures of holiday food cut from magazines on them and I made a centerpiece using a picture of a cornucopia. Above the board I hung a banner made of two table runners sewn together, that read ,"Poetry is Like a Feast for the Mind." I made the lettering from felt, which I glued on with Tacky glue.
Amanda81

Amanda81

Old 11-02-2008, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I love this idea! Thanks for sharing it!