Differentiated Lesson Plans - ProTeacher Community

wingding

Differentiated Lesson Plans
Old 01-27-2009, 07:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I put this on the gifted board as I am sure you guys have the most experience in differentiated education. How do you create differentiated lesson plans? I am looking for actual format guidelines (i.e. how to determine groupings after initial mini lesson, how to create different levels with the same theme in mind, etc). I will be teaching middle school social studies and want to be proactive in my planning.

wingding is offline   Reply With Quote

RUSerious

Choice Boards
Old 01-27-2009, 04:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A great way to differentiate instruction is to use Choice Boards. You make a huge tic-tac-toe on poster board and in each square you pose a question or activity. Students have to choose three topics in a row. The point is that the topics are self directed and they have the power to choose. There is a great book by Susan Winebrenner which discusses the use of choice boards in the class it's called Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom.
RUSerious is offline   Reply With Quote

wingding

Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks RUSerious...I will have to check the book out.

So many educational sites out there tell us to "differentiate", but with me being a career switcher and new to teaching, it isn't always clear exactly how to do it. I had read somewhere about creating Levels (i.e. Level C you have to earn so many points to get a C, add on Level B and you have to earn the extra points to get a B, etc). I do not care too much for that system as a teacher or a parent. Those items seem to be killers for the kids who do not have the intrinsic desire to learn! I would like to provide opportunities for choice, but also be able to accelerate those who can do it while remediating those who need extra help. I am just not too sure how to accomplish all those things at once!

I will check out the book you mentioned though. I love the idea of the tic-tac-toe!

yesteach

menus
Old 01-30-2009, 03:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Which are sort of the same, but different..

Check out the samples at Laurie Westphal's site. I let a teacher borrow my Menu books a few weeks back. She implemented them the next week - not only with her GT kids, but with the whole class. It's a great way to move up or down the "differentiation ladder."
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote

TCHw/ME

Good Book
Old 02-03-2009, 11:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Another good resource is Carol Ann Tomlinson's book How to Differentiate Instruction in Mixed-Ability Classrooms. To get right down to business, skip right to Chapter 6-Strategies for Managing a Differentiated Classroom and read on from there. The book includes some great practical suggestions for what you're trying to accomplish. And remember...one of the best pearls of wisdom that comes up over and over again related to differentiation, start small!

TCHw/ME is offline   Reply With Quote

wingding

Thanks so much!!!
Old 02-14-2009, 06:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks so much for all of your ideas and thoughts. I agree...I need to start small, but I would like to put forth the extra effort for those kids who really want to explore.

I will definitely check out the resources that all of you have mentioned. I have read many articles by Tomlinson, but haven't checked out her books yet. I think I will need to hit the Barnes and Noble again!