reading intervention ideas - ProTeacher Community

Ms. J

reading intervention ideas
Old 01-27-2009, 05:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm working with some 3rd grade readers who are reading at a late 1st/early 2nd grade level. Besides just practicing reading, sight words, and fluency, what are some fun games and/or activities you do with students who dislike reading? I really want to get these kids excited and make reading fun for them, so they begin to read more! Thanks in advance.

Ms. J is offline   Reply With Quote

ee

reading ideas
Old 01-27-2009, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

My kids that are so far behind enjoy activities that they are able to see immediate progress in. I like to do repeat reading with them. Then we chart their progress. Read Naturally is an example of this. I have kids that don't read well enough to begin their program so I use the sound, phonemes, words and phrases from the grade 2/3 materials in the fluuency section at the Florida Center for Reading Research website. Directions and everything you need are given with the materials. They are set up as partner activites but can be used with volunteers. I am having high school mentors use them with my students.
ee is offline   Reply With Quote

loggerteacher

Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

When I taught spec ed, my students LOVED making words. I used the books from patricia cunningham and choose the book for the grade level they were reading at. My students also loved RAZ-Kids.com. I loved putting them on there while I worked with others b/c I knew what they were doing was meaningful and they couldn't slack off. Plus, they loved reading the non-fiction books.
loggerteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

maryk

Florida website
Old 01-28-2009, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Try the www.fcrr.org website. There are a bunch of ideas for the five areas of reading for grades K-5.
maryk is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 01-28-2009, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Some of my low readers are really enjoying SRA's (much to my surprise). They like the independence, self checking, and feeling of sucess when they move. I also let them partner re-read during centers. Listening center is always a favorite. I agree with PP about Making words - awesome activity. Buddy reading with lower grade level students during dear time. Reading to the principal when they do an extra super job.

Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

dallasdeb

Reader's theater
Old 02-01-2009, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You can use one of the books they are familiar with, and just reqwrite it as a reader's theater to perform. They can also illustrate the beginning, middle end, to teach some comprehension, visualizing skills, too.
dallasdeb is offline   Reply With Quote