Pirate theme? - ProTeacher Community

kekonen

Pirate theme?
Old 07-25-2006, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I've seen a couple posts about a pirate theme and I've decided that maybe doing a theme this year would be a nice change. I teach 4th graders, but even though they like to think they're such big kids, I think they'd enjoy having something whimsical in our room.

I'm going to try to do an AR board this year, and I like the "ARRRRR" idea someone posted previously, but what else can I do with other boards around the room?

I have tried looking online for pirate themed decorations, posters, etc, but haven't had much luck. Any suggestions as to where I should look?

kekonen is offline   Reply With Quote

suem

Pirate Stuff
Old 07-25-2006, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have seen the most stuff for pirates in Oriental Trading. They don't have a lot, but they have some stuff.
Smilemakers have some treasure chest posters with poster board "gems" to go with it.
I dont do a lot of decorations, so I have yet to decide if I want to order anything. I keep black fabric on my bullitin board and all of my decorations go with it. The black would work wonders with the pirate unit. I was thinkng of making my classroom rules in scroll fashion, since the pirates would have written their "articles" on scrolls, not poster board.
suem is offline   Reply With Quote

momof2cuties

partyadventure.com
Old 07-25-2006, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I just ordered several things from this website. It arrived yeserday! I am so excited about doing a pirate theme this year! Here is the website http://www.partyadventure.com/search...keyword=pirate I teach 2nd grade so I am trying to make it a happy pirate theme. Some of the decorations can be a little scary. Hope you find some cute ideas!
momof2cuties is offline   Reply With Quote

mlambi

Pirate Bulletin Board Ideas
Old 07-26-2006, 10:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

If you look through the posts here, as well as in the archives, I know that you can find some suggestions that will work for pirate-related bulletin boards...I know that I posted a reply recently with a lot of ideas.

Good Luck!
mlambi is offline   Reply With Quote
sillyb

sillyb

Teacher
Old 07-26-2006, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Go to Boarders or Barnes and Noble. They have a paperback book about pirates with ideas and crafts. Fantastic ideas

sillyb

sillyb

Teacher
Old 07-26-2006, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Go to Boarders or Barnes and Noble. They have a paperback book about pirates with ideas and crafts.The title is "Pirate things to make and do" byUsborne

chrisg

Old 07-27-2006, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

If you have a local party supply store, check that out. I just got some cute stuff at ours yesterday. I bought a pirate treasure map tablecloth and cut it to fit a bulletin board. Looks cute! I'm going to use that as my AR board. Students will advance from treasure chest (I made those on the computer) to treasure chest as their points increase.
chrisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Bridget G.

Bridget G.

Pirate theme
Old 07-28-2006, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I did a pirate board this year. I made the bulleting board into a large treasure map marking x's on various spots. A large ship at the corner and dolphin beach with an x, mermaid lake with an x, the treasure with an x, the locnest monster with an x. I crinkled white paper and sponge painted it with brown to make it look old then drew and colored the othe objects. It went into the cafeteria where the children of all ages just loved it. Look in coloring books or on any treasure map site on the computer for a treasure map. It turned out great! Good Luck
Rwriter

Rwriter

pirate theme
Old 08-02-2006, 12:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I, too, am doing a pirate theme. How about a large ship cut from brown butcher paper. Use paint sticks and white paper to make the sails and the Jolly Roger flag. Cut "port holes", enough for each child. On the first day take digital photos of each one, print and put behind the portholes. A title might be "Mrs. ____ Crew or "Crew of the 5th Grade Ship".

Another thought, take skull and crossbone pix which are easy to find on the internet, cut them out, paste on black paper and make flags, banners, etc.

On the door, buy or copy and laminate a big ship wheel. Above it put the title, "Ahoy, mateys. Welcome aboard." Add a little fish net at the top to kind of droop down and give it atmosphere. Little fish nets are available at any party store.

Make a treasure chest and fill it with gold coin candies from Dollar Tree, eye patches, small spy glasses, tattoos, etc. as rewards.

TuttiFluti

Pirate Theme - Coins
Old 07-07-2007, 02:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I'm from the New Orleans area. For coins you can purchase very big quantities of Mardi Gras doubloons. They are usually silver, gold, red, green, or purple with some being blue or black. Check out Mardi Gras supply companies online like Beads by the Dozen, Accent Annex, or Mardi Gras World (not sure about name on last one, but there are many from which to choose.)

I also checked out Accu-cut die-cuts. There are a peg-legged pirate, pirate hat and eye patch, and several ships/galleons that would make good patterns for large numbers of students. (I'm a music teacher/choir director and am looking for large numbers, so the $60 die-cut isn't really that expensive in the long run.)

I liked the idea of cutting out the cutlass and spyglass so that the main pirate/captain can hold different things in his hands. I teach in a Catholic school so am looking for ways to do a pirate theme without too many weapons and skull with crossbones.
TuttiFluti is offline   Reply With Quote

teacher4lf

Pirate/Treasure Theme: #8 AR Theme
Old 08-08-2007, 07:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I am doing a pirate and treasure theme. These are the ideas I have gathered from others on this website along with ideas from a pirate coloring book that I have adapted for my third grade class. Moreover, I had luck in Party City finding pirate theme items. Also, I made a lot of my titles on MS Word with word art and clip arts from online and used a laser printer. Finally, I cut the titles and pictures out, pasted a background and laminated. They look store bought and I spent no money. Hope this helps you run with ideas for your particular setting. I will post pictures as soon as possible.

1. Pirate Bounty= Treasure Chest with treasure; HoTT Items for
class economy
a. Treasure chest
b. coins
2. "Get caught up in…Subject
3. Set Sail with a Good Book… The Pirates Cove= Reading Corner
4. "Open a book...find a treasure!"
5. Message in a Bottle!= Word Wall; find a bottle and place
paper inside or picture of it.
6. Help is on the way!= Ship in the water; life savers (candy
rewards); Reading Strategies:
Navigate through story passages.
P-preview & predict (pictures, graphs, title)
L-look for underlined words
U-underline 1st and last sentence in each paragraph (for
main idea)
N-notice questions (identify type)
D- dissect paragraph (2 words in margin)
E-evaluate answer choices (locate proof in passage)
R-review
7. Jack of All Trades!= Vocabulary
a. parrot
8. Sailing into Math Facts!
9. Sea of Writers= Writing Process Captain’s Sailing Log=
Treasure Map or Scroll;
a. Treasure hunt
10. Pirate Grub! Catch of the Day!= Daily Agenda
a. Sword(?)
11. X marks the Spot!= Multiplication
12. **Alphabet**
13. Are you a real treasure?. .Talkers Turn Back!= Rules and
Consequences and Behavior Chart (1st gold coins and gems
of different colors next to a huge treasure chest)
a. Treasure chest/ hunt
b. Coins/gems
Every pirate is paid five cents per day for keeping our five
classroom rules:
· Always tell the truth.
· There is always room for everyone.
· We take care of each other and our things.
· We always try our best to finish our work.
· We take care of little problems ourselves.
14. Ahoy, mates…Third Grade Treasures (writing
their names on little treasure chests)
15. P.I.R.A.T.E.= Prepared, Informed, Ready, And Together
Everyday
a. Burn edges
16. P.I.R.A.T.E.S.= People In Route to Achieving Terrific
Educational Success
a. Burn the edges
17. "This Week's Crew"= Weekly Job Assignments; Wheels with
pix in the middle
18. Race for Treasure! Arrrr…= Row boats and finish line; AR
Bulletin
19. Pirate Chef= Copy Pirate;
20. Look- Out Point!= telescope
a. spyglasses
21. Beware of the Sharks!=
22. Man the Wheel!=
23. Fair Winds!=
24. Shiver me Timbers!=
25. Land, Ho!=
26. Crafty Coins!
27. Walk the Plank…=

Books:
1) "How I Became A Pirate" by Melinda Long and David Shannon
2) "Captain Abdul's Pirate School" by colin McNaughton
3) "The Horrendous Hullaballoo" by Margaret Mahy
4) "Pie Rats Ahoy" By Richard Scarry (They love this one!)
5) "Wembley and the Soggy Map" by Louise Gikow (Fraggle Rock)
6) "Me On The Map" by Joan Sweeney (A Trumpet Book)
7) "I'm The Captain" by Margaret Ballinger (Early Success Book)
8) "Bananas In Pajamas The Treasure Map" By Matt Mitler (Golden Book)
9) "From Here To There" by Margery Cuyler
teacher4lf is offline   Reply With Quote